Individual sounds for contacts in SMS

veggie59

May 25, 2013
Visit site
With my note 5 I was able to assign a different sound for my contacts when using SMS. I am unable to find a way on my note 9. Usually you would edit the contact and there would be an option I only see one for adding the ringtone which I did that. Anyone else been able to? I’m only looking to assign stock sounds not customized. Thanks!

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Here
cd323dfb5a68db41e8970e28f9b908b1.jpg

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
They do work, I have around 5 or 6 of my most common callers/texters set up, main reason for me is that annoying friend who like to send jokes though 20 times per day so now I have a special tone for him!

veggie59

May 25, 2013
Visit site

I’m on T-Mobile I’m not seeing what you are seeing. Are you going through General settings or through the message settings? I don’t see that in either thanks

Edit to add ...OK I found it I think. You have to go to an existing conversation and add it there. You can’t just add it to a person in your contacts list. That would have been the way I did it before adding to the contact themselves. Thanks!

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I’m on T-Mobile I’m not seeing what you are seeing. Are you going through General settings or through the message settings? I don’t see that in either thanks

Edit to add ...OK I found it I think. You have to go to an existing conversation and add it there. You can’t just add it to a person in your contacts list. That would have been the way I did it before adding to the contact themselves. Thanks!
Oops that's right I was in too many windows. I was in the conversation that's where you see the custom option

veggie59

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Oops that's right I was in too many windows. I was in the conversation that's where you see the custom option

Thanks LOL. It was really bugging me as every time I got any type of notification it was the same sound. I had specific ones for my husband and my kids. So I come in from the other room thinking my husband texted me only to find out it was something generic LOL. I was actually able to add the same tone for his text messages from before. I wasn’t able to find the same ringtone however. I should’ve written them down it would’ve been easier than going through them all LOL.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Thanks LOL. It was really bugging me as every time I got any type of notification it was the same sound. I had specific ones for my husband and my kids. So I come in from the other room thinking my husband texted me only to find out it was something generic LOL. I was actually able to add the same tone for his text messages from before. I wasn’t able to find the same ringtone however. I should’ve written them down it would’ve been easier than going through them all LOL.
Zedge is a great place for ringtones plus there's also one called ringtone maker and that will essentially let you create a ringtone or notification out of any sound clip including parts of songs you have downloaded

Inquisitorkitten

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
Yass, thank you for this thread :) i thought i was going to have to dowload a 3rd party mssging app.

Related question: does anyone know any good free ringtone sites or apps besides zedge?

veggie59

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Yass, thank you for this thread :) i thought i was going to have to dowload a 3rd party mssging app.

Related question: does anyone know any good free ringtone sites or apps besides zedge?

It was just driving me crazy because I always had different sounds for each of my contacts in my favorites list. And I found no way to do it directly in contacts. It’s weird that you have to assign sounds to a message thread instead. I can’t help you on the other part is I just use the stock sounds LOL. But good luck!

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
It was just driving me crazy because I always had different sounds for each of my contacts in my favorites list. And I found no way to do it directly in contacts. It’s weird that you have to assign sounds to a message thread instead. I can’t help you on the other part is I just use the stock sounds LOL. But good luck!
I should do that more often with the different sounds LOL

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
You can also change your sms tone to be different than you notifications it's just hidden deep in the message settings now. Took me a few days to find it.
328c886a16fb27c37a8373e1bdb51393.jpg
110ac7f5c76961df4d1be75766a52c74.jpg
587280010caa69daf5cf554b044b52bf.jpg

veggie59

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I keep going through everything for Bixby. The icon comes up that listens but it doesn't follow through with anything. It won't wake up my screen even though it shows the little icon. The only way I can get it to do anything sometimes as if I hold the button. And that's how I set 2 different reminders that it said were saved and I never got them. So how do you train this thing lol

Fit24

Trusted Member
Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I keep going through everything for Bixby. The icon comes up that listens but it doesn't follow through with anything. It won't wake up my screen even though it shows the little icon. The only way I can get it to do anything sometimes as if I hold the button. And that's how I set 2 different reminders that it said were saved and I never got them. So how do you train this thing lol

I don't use Bixby and I don't know anyone who does.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall