[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

Droid3r

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Re: Bestbuy Mobile Lets me Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon?

I just tried to do this. Ordered phone from Best Buy. Received today and put in my old SIM card - activated - and it's changing my plan. Awesome. I guess it doesn't work anymore.

Which phone you had?
Which phone you have now???

Which plan did you have?
Which plan uou have now?

Explain please

HTC One MAX

GatorsUF

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Well after being on the phone for hours I was unsuccessful in getting my new MotoX for .01

Evidentally the motomaker website doesn't work for business accounts...and the deal isn't available in store where I can pick up my motomaker "code". So I am stuck with my GS3 for a while still...

Diabl0

May 16, 2010
Visit site

Had the original Droid Razr Maxx
Have the Galaxy Note 3

Had the Nationwide Talk and Text 450 plan - Unlimited text and unlimited data
Have same plan now with 2gb of data

Talked to three different reps and two managers. They told me it's Best Buy's problem and that I can return the phone end of discussion. I'm calling back tomorrow to see if they'll put me on the 6gb plan. Oh well!

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Talked to three different reps and two managers. They told me it's Best Buy's problem and that I can return the phone end of discussion. I'm calling back tomorrow to see if they'll put me on the 6gb plan. Oh well!
Did you take screen shots of the check out process showing you did not select a new plan and that at check out it said Keep Existing Plan?

Does your invoice say Keep Existing Plan?

Diabl0

May 16, 2010
Visit site

Did you take screen shots of the check out process showing you did not select a new plan and that at check out it said Keep Existing Plan?

Does your invoice say Keep Existing Plan?

I do have screenshots and the invoice says Keep Existing Plan. I was told that they can offer me the 6gb Max plan, I can return the phone to Best Buy and go back to my old phone, I can return it and pay full price, etc. I was also told that keep existing plan only means keeping voice and texting and that data is a feature (ie. not part of the plan). They basically did not want to hear it. I only had one rep that actually tried to manually input codes. I offered up proof of what I was given/told about keeping the plan and they said NO. They were not at all interested in helping me out.

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

I do have screenshots and the invoice says Keep Existing Plan. I was told that they can offer me the 6gb Max plan, I can return the phone to Best Buy and go back to my old phone, I can return it and pay full price, etc. I was also told that keep existing plan only means keeping voice and texting and that data is a feature (ie. not part of the plan). They basically did not want to hear it. I only had one rep that actually tried to manually input codes. I offered up proof of what I was given/told about keeping the plan and they said NO. They were not at all interested in helping me out.

Call tomorrow and try to get this escalated. Be nice but keep repeating that you never selected a new data plan so it makes no sense at all that Keep Existing Plan doesn't include data.

Drpepsi got UDP back on 2 lines. Don't give up. Keep calling.

If worse comes to worse, tell them you are returning the phone and want everything reversed. It is Verizon's responsibility - they are the ones who contract with Best Buy and Best Buy's system said Keep Existing Plan - there was no mention that it was just talk and text and so there is no reason to think that.

Diabl0

May 16, 2010
Visit site

Call tomorrow and try to get this escalated. Be nice but keep repeating that you never selected a new data plan so it makes no sense at all that Keep Existing Plan doesn't include data.

Drpepsi got UDP back on 2 lines. Don't give up. Keep calling.

If worse comes to worse, tell them you are returning the phone and want everything reversed. It is Verizon's responsibility - they are the ones who contract with Best Buy and Best Buy's system said Keep Existing Plan - there was no mention that it was just talk and text and so there is no reason to think that.

I told them all of this multiple times. They kept back pedaling and going in circles. I very rarely lose my cool with customer service reps as I work in customer service and I know they are just doing their jobs, but I did hang up on a supervisor tonight. Whenever I tried to get it escalated, they didn't want to do it. They just kept talking me in circles.

To escalate, do I ask a supervisor? They act like there is no one higher to speak to whenever I try.

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

They act like there is no one higher to speak to whenever I try.
Call back and hit #3 for tech support. Then say you are having trouble making and receiving calls. Then they will text you to call back on a land line or a different cell phone with a toll free number. Call them back, indicate that you are having trouble making and receiving calls and go through their trouble shooting BS and indicate every time that it failed.

Then you will get tech support on the line. Don't mention anything about trouble receiving and making calls, go right into your explanation about the Keep Existing Plan and see what tech support can do for you. Tech support can put UDP back on your line if they want to.

If that doesn't work, you want Retention Department in the morning.

Diabl0

May 16, 2010
Visit site

I should call tech support now? The second or third call I made earlier was to tech support. He was the only one who tried to get codes to work. He told me he could submit some sort of claim that would have to be approved, but then in the same breath told me it was highly likely to be denied because it shows that my line went through as an upgrade. I told him not to bother because I didn't want a denial messing up my chances of getting my UDP back.

I will go ahead and call them now and see if I get anywhere.

If not, how do I get to Retention Department? I asked for that this evening and was told by two different reps that it does not exist...

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

I should call tech support now? The second or third call I made earlier was to tech support. He was the only one who tried to get codes to work. He told me he could submit some sort of claim that would have to be approved, but then in the same breath told me it was highly likely to be denied because it shows that my line went through as an upgrade. I told him not to bother because I didn't want a denial messing up my chances of getting my UDP back.

I will go ahead and call them now and see if I get anywhere.

If not, how do I get to Retention Department? I asked for that this evening and was told by two different reps that it does not exist...
Verizon outsources their first line CSR to a 3rd party. Those people don't even work for Verizon. Tech support does work for Verizon.

Research what drpepsi did to get his UDP back. You are probably going to have to fax your paperwork in and make several calls to get UDP back.

It is looking like this glitch has been closed if you used an old SIM card to activate the phone for the first time :(

Diabl0

May 16, 2010
Visit site

Verizon outsources their first line CSR to a 3rd party. Those people don't even work for Verizon. Tech support does work for Verizon.

Research what drpepsi did to get his UDP back. You are probably going to have to fax your paperwork in and make several calls to get UDP back.

It is looking like this glitch has been closed if you used an old SIM card to activate the phone for the first time :(

Just got off the phone with tech support. He told me he's not sure why Best Buy let me keep the plan, but there is no going back. He was pushing the More Everything plan extremely hard and was trying to tell me how it would save me money (which on an individual plan it really doesn't). I asked him if there was anything else that could be done, and he told me he could submit a claim but figured it would be denied. I pushed to see if I could fax or e-mail the information I have and he told me that's not possible. His recommendation was to take the info I have from Best Buy into a corporate store and then have them call in for me. I doubt that will work, but I guess I can give it a shot.

Edit: Yeah, I used my old sim card. I had to call because it glitched and the woman had to change my old sim to show as being used in the Note. I'm not sure if she would have changed something or if it was because it glitched or what. Just my luck.

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Edit: Yeah, I used my old sim card. I had to call because it glitched and the woman had to change my old sim to show as being used in the Note. I'm not sure if she would have changed something or if it was because it glitched or what. Just my luck.
This is why it didn't work. Whatever she did, she switched you off of your UDP.

So if just putting your old SIM card in the phone doesn't work, stop right there and return the phone. Do NOT call and involve a Verizon rep as you will LOSE YOUR UDP.

dmxoneIuv

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Verizon: How to keep Unlimited Data and get phone on subsidized price.

Do you know anyone with a spare 4GLTE device? If so, borrow it and call Verizon to ask for a sim for the new device. Once your number is associated with sim, then you can do the process discussed.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

i just wanted to report that i ordered a note 3 through bestbuy yesterday as described in OP and my plan on verizonwireless shows my contract is extended 2 years but it still kept unlimited data, and my phone was shipped last night so i should have it in a few days.

and my sister is in the same situation mentioned above, she has an iphone 4 with UDP which does not have a sim card. i plan on getting her a sim card through the store, popping it in my spare s3 for her to use a few days or week while we go through the above process to order her a phone through bestbuy, whether she decides on the iphone 5s or a newer android, she's set once she gets a sim card.

only question i have that i haven't seen mentioned, my account lost the insurance offered thru verizon because i had made 2 claims in one year (bad luck, 2 broken screens within a month). so does anyone know if we are able to get the insurance back on once we purchase these new phones? i don't want to pay the geek squad $10/month, i'd rather just pay it on my phone bill for the $7 or so a month thru verizon. if anyone has any experience regarding this insurance, please provide any input that may be helpful.

THANKS for the thread and help everyone!

alxarambula

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I went to the best buy website today and went through the motions as if I was going to upgrade to a note 3 on my udp..
It asked to check to keep current plan then in the next page it takes you to it says:
This device requires a data plan. Please select one:
Network Access Fee **Keep my existing data plan and there is a checkmark next to keep my existing plan which says no changes.
If you have screen shots of this don't give up don't expect the max plan and just keep on insisting.. In the past I had to email pictures of receipts to phone reps to fix a problem so insist on having proof and email it to them somehow.
I wish you best of luck man don't budge.

Posted via Android Central App

Diabl0

May 16, 2010
Visit site

I went to the best buy website today and went through the motions as if I was going to upgrade to a note 3 on my udp..
It asked to check to keep current plan then in the next page it takes you to it says:
This device requires a data plan. Please select one:
Network Access Fee **Keep my existing data plan and there is a checkmark next to keep my existing plan which says no changes.
If you have screen shots of this don't give up don't expect the max plan and just keep on insisting.. In the past I had to email pictures of receipts to phone reps to fix a problem so insist on having proof and email it to them somehow.
I wish you best of luck man don't budge.

Posted via Android Central App

I was on the phone this morning at like 6:10. I got a nice lady who told me she would try to put it back on the account - no go on her end. Told me about the 6gb Max plan. Then she offered to call Best Buy and do a conference call. She Googled and found their number. We tried to call, but they aren't open yet. She told me to fax her the receipt from Best Buy (her fax machine had no answer). She also told me she is going to call me back by 8am, but we'll see.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

i just wanted to report that i ordered a note 3 through bestbuy yesterday as described in OP and my plan on verizonwireless shows my contract is extended 2 years but it still kept unlimited data, and my phone was shipped last night so i should have it in a few days.

and my sister is in the same situation mentioned above, she has an iphone 4 with UDP which does not have a sim card. i plan on getting her a sim card through the store, popping it in my spare s3 for her to use a few days or week while we go through the above process to order her a phone through bestbuy, whether she decides on the iphone 5s or a newer android, she's set once she gets a sim card.

only question i have that i haven't seen mentioned, my account lost the insurance offered thru verizon because i had made 2 claims in one year (bad luck, 2 broken screens within a month). so does anyone know if we are able to get the insurance back on once we purchase these new phones? i don't want to pay the geek squad $10/month, i'd rather just pay it on my phone bill for the $7 or so a month thru verizon. if anyone has any experience regarding this insurance, please provide any input that may be helpful.

THANKS for the thread and help everyone!

You can put insurance back on after buying the phone or during open enrollment (right now) provided that it has been a year, as they would not let on during the year that you had the 2 claims

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

HolyBuckeye

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site

Hey guys, so my Droid Bionic has finally died and I was planning on following these steps today to get a new Moto X through Best Buy and keep my data. But, I called Verizon and they are still offering the 6gb for $30 deal, no edge signup required. What do you guys think? I usually only use about 2gb per month. I believe I'd get the Moto X for only a penny through Verizon, and get to customize it the way I want. I know in 2 years time I may run into issues again, but it would be the same if I kept unlimited data - the next time I need a new phone, I'll have to figure out a way to get around the system.

there's some discussion whether or not you'll get to keep the 6GB when you go to try to upgrade again. Verizon reps have told me I would be moved back to 2GB when I try to upgrade because this is a special promotion only for people with Unlimited. But there's also a chance they don't know what they're talking talking, and you could keep the 6GB.

I decided it wasn't worth the risk, and I kept my unlimited

huskers15

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

Why did you call to activate your phone?? Didn't u just use your old sim with UDP and put that in the new phone?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

the block

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site

Does this trick only work with ordering phones through Best Buy, or does buying from other 3rd Party Resellers works as well? Say if I were to order a phone from Amazon, and throw my existing SIM in there when I went to activate. Would that work, or Best Buy only?