[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

itspancha

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

So many scenarios and so much to read. Here's my situation - hope someone can help!

Family Plan,
Four lines
A- Basic Feature Phone, no data [No upgrade]
B- iPhone 5, 2GB data plan [Upgrade Available]
C- S3, my phone, Unlimited [Upgrade Available]
D- Incredible 2, Unlimited [No upgrade]

So, I went into the VZW store to ask if I could transfer line C's upgrade to line A and get the Note 3 - then I would activate with line C by inserting the sim card. The lady said I wouldnt be able to keep the unlimited data like that. I'm almost certain this isn't true.
Would upgrading through line B and activating onto line C work? Can line B later use C's upgrade?
Is there any other suggestion? My phone got water damage and instead of paying the deductible I might as well upgrade.

Thanks in advance!

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

So, I went into the VZW store to ask if I could transfer line C's upgrade to line A and get the Note 3 - then I would activate with line C by inserting the sim card. The lady said I wouldnt be able to keep the unlimited data like that. I'm almost certain this isn't true.
Why are people going into stores to ask this? Complete. Waste. Of. Time. And you are bringing attention to this method, which it would be better if you didn't.

Family Plan,
Four lines
A- Basic Feature Phone, no data [No upgrade]
B- iPhone 5, 2GB data plan [Upgrade Available]
C- S3, my phone, Unlimited [Upgrade Available]
D- Incredible 2, Unlimited [No upgrade]

Would upgrading through line B and activating onto line C work?
No. Upgrading through Line B AND activating on Line B. Then put the iPhone 5 back on Line B. Then put the new phone on Line C. That would work.

Can line B later use C's upgrade?
Yes. That is the whole point of this thread - you can transfer your Line C's upgrade to a capped data or basic phone line and upgrade on the CDP or BP line without losing your UDP. Just be sure and activate the new phone on the CDP or BP line first.

itspancha

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the help. The only reason I went to the store was because I was getting a replacement shipped - I had to make sure I could reject the extended warranty replacement since I can no longer return my defective device. Now, I'll wait for the replacement to be on its way back, call them to take my line off hold so I can proceed with the process.

Would I be able to transfer C's upgrade to A? Transferring my upgrade to line A would be easiest since my sister, the owner of line B, lives away. Would the new phone come with a sim card to activate with or would I need to go to verizon to get one? After doing the activation to line A can I then switch back to the basic phone and activate the new phone to my line, line C?

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Would I be able to transfer C's upgrade to A?
Yes. Since it is a basic phone, when you purchase a 4G LTE phone on a basic phone line you need to pick a data plan, activate the new phone on Line A and then when you put the basic phone back on Line A, if the data plan does not drop off either call and have it removed or block data on the line.

Would the new phone come with a sim card to activate with or would I need to go to verizon to get one?
All Verizon 4G LTE phones ship with a SIM card.

After doing the activation to line A can I then switch back to the basic phone and activate the new phone to my line, line C?
Yes, that is the process. Transfer upgrade from UDP line to CDP or BP line, purchase new phone on CDP/BP line, activate new phone on CDP/BP line, reactivate original phone on CDP/BP line and then reactivate new phone on UDP line.

alxarambula

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Verizon: How to keep Unlimited Data and get phone on subsidized price.

Asurion is the best.. I highly recommend their coverage.

Posted via Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Unlimited data Plan - How Much Longer?

I called today for my dad and I asked about the 6 GB plan and future upgrades. She said that the plan isn't going anywhere and you can upgrade again and again without losing it.

True? Don't know. Just validating what you said about reps being incorrect at times. To her credit she was clear by saying "from how the training makes it appear" rather than guaranteeing it like most seem to do.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)

It is my understanding that tiered data should not have a problem keeping their plan during upgrade, even the double data people or the 300mb tier, none of which are currently offered. Some third party may hassle you, but at this time, through Verizon directly is not an issue.

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: Verizon: Unlimited data Plan - How Much Longer?

The problem is, you sign a two year agreement, plans are added and dropped all the time and we have no way of knowing what the company's policy will be when your next upgrade comes along, Verizon doesn't even know what it's policy will be in two years, you're only protected during your service agreement term

MetalMan1

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site

Question that perhaps someone may be able to answer: has anybody (with UDP) tried ordering through BB online and picking up from a store? There is ONE BB store within a reasonable distance that has a VZW LG G2 in stock apparently (BB online is out of stock, as are 20+ other "local" stores).
I'm contemplating ordering online, and seeing if when I pick up the phone in-store, if they would let me activate the phone with the SIM card from my current VZW Galaxy SIII.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Question that perhaps someone may be able to answer: has anybody (with UDP) tried ordering through BB online and picking up from a store? There is ONE BB store within a reasonable distance that has a VZW LG G2 in stock apparently (BB online is out of stock, as are 20+ other "local" stores).
I'm contemplating ordering online, and seeing if when I pick up the phone in-store, if they would let me activate the phone with the SIM card from my current VZW Galaxy SIII.

As long as they let you activate it yourself I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

I'm contemplating ordering online, and seeing if when I pick up the phone in-store, if they would let me activate the phone with the SIM card from my current VZW Galaxy S3.
My Best Buy won't let you walk out with an unactivated phone. All you can do is call and ask. Say they are gifts perhaps? drpepsi said he was allowed to walk out with unactivated iPhones. YMMV.

HolyBuckeye

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site

I'm contemplating ordering online, and seeing if when I pick up the phone in-store, if they would let me activate the phone with the SIM card from my current VZW Galaxy S3.

you can try I guess, just don't let them activate it or you will lose your UDP for sure

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

you can try I guess, just don't let them activate it or you will lose your UDP for sure
At least not with the SIM it shipped with. I bet they won't allow it to be activated with any other SIM card because I am sure that SIM card is tied to them receiving their commission.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

The problem is, you sign a two year agreement, plans are added and dropped all the time and we have no way of knowing what the company's policy will be when your next upgrade comes along, Verizon doesn't even know what it's policy will be in two years, you're only protected during your service agreement term

Correct, once your term is up, Verizon may change but if they do then you are free to go elsewhere if you want.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

Correct, once your term is up, Verizon may change but if they do then you are free to go elsewhere if you want.

Right, people were talking about giving up unlimited and taking advantage of the 6gb data offering and the question of future upgrades seems to keep popping up, I would hate to see people due that without understanding that the policy in place now could be worthless down the road

MetalMan1

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site

The BB store told me that ordering online, and picking up the phone in-store, I can't walk out of the store without first activating the phone (I asked under the guise of the phone being a gift for my sister LOL).
Unless there was miscommunication, sounds like they would let me activate it in-store with my SGS3's SIM card. If I go through with this ordeal then you can bet I'll be triple-checking if this can actually happen. I'm even thinking about ordering online while in the store, after first asking the on-staff sales rep haha. But I would still call and ask again before driving over there.

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Unless there was miscommunication, sounds like they would let me activate it in-store with my SGS3's SIM card. If I go through with this ordeal then you can bet I'll be triple-checking if this can actually happen. I'm even thinking about ordering online while in the store, after first asking the on-staff sales rep haha. But I would still call and ask again before driving over there.
I am surprised they will let you use your old SIM card because I think the commission they get is tied to that SIM card number. Perhaps not, though.

Be careful because at my Best Buy, they won't even let you touch the phone until they have activated it.

MetalMan1

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site

I am surprised they will let you use your old SIM card because I think the commission they get is tied to that SIM card number. Perhaps not, though.

Be careful because at my Best Buy, they won't even let you touch the phone until they have activated it.

I didn't speak with the actual technical person (sounded like they were busy and she was communicating with the tech), so something may have gotten lost in communication. For example, the answer I received may have been to a question like "can I use my current phone's SIM card in the LG G2?", which in that case doesn't necessarily include activation. So if/when I call back, I will make sure to double check specifically about activating with my current SIM card.

dmxoneIuv

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site

update on my purchase from best buy. received note 3 and noticed it ships with the sim card already in the phone. BE CAREFUL not to turn on the phone at all until you pull that sim card out and insert your original sim from your current phone.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Right, people were talking about giving up unlimited and taking advantage of the 6gb data offering and the question of future upgrades seems to keep popping up, I would hate to see people due that without understanding that the policy in place now could be worthless down the road

Any carrier can change policies at any time. So yes it is a risk. But my personal opinion is that Verizon would allow it at least on the next upgrade. It is a risk staying on unlimited too. Verizon may decide to force unlimited to 2gb and not have the 6gb option that they have now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fatJimmy