[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

marki86

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

I thought since I transferred the upgrade from an UDP line I was not "supposed" to have it shipped to the store. Sorry for sounding like such a dummy. I don't want to lose UDP, but these 250+ pages have me confused. I will try to re-read.

Posted via Android Central App

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

I thought since I transferred the upgrade from an UDP line I was not "supposed" to have it shipped to the store. Sorry for sounding like such a dummy. I don't want to lose UDP, but these 250+ pages have me confused. I will try to re-read.

Of you activate it on the TDP first out doesn't matter where the transfer came from. That will not make you lose your UDP.

kjack23

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site

Okay, I have read through this thread and ones from other websites such as the slickdeals thread. I still am timid to try this and would like verification that this will work. I have an upgrade on my line which has Unlimited Data. Can I get the Note 4 from Amazon at the upgrade price and then swap sim cards to keep my unlimited data. Or do you have to do it through Best Buy?

bigredinmass

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site

Here's my issue. I have single line UDP. Want to go from my S3 to Note 4. Decided to try to do the 'honest' route. When Best Buy was doing their pre-orders, I called and they told me I could trade in my old working Droid Incredible and not sign a new contract to get the $200 gift card offer, since I was technically due for a phone upgrade. I still have not received an email showing the phone is in the store ready for pickup. I even called over the weekend and they said I will get an email when the phone is in. So, on Saturday I went on BB online and found a BB Mobile store that had one in stock and asked them to hold it for me. I went to the store, ready to go and use my $50 presale gift card etc and made a point to mention that this is equipment replacement only and no new contract. Then the manager at this store said you only get the gift card if you renew your contract. I told him how 2 other BB's told me differently last week during presale but he wouldn't budge. He said I could only pay the full price and get no discount - so I walked out. Hoping the store I did the pre-sale at will honor what they said and give me the $200 card toward the phone. For what it's worth - the Best Buy pre-sale ad did not specifically mention new activiation required. But the post-presale (extended to 10/31) ad does say activiation required. Samsung also extended it's rebate but VZ will only give me $6 for my Droid Inc and Amazon removes the trade-in check box if you buy the phone out right. Kills me how every seller is in cohoots to prevent UDL full phone paying price customers from getting in on the deal. Seems Samsung should want their Note 4 sales to go up in comparison to the iPhone. Anyway - hoping the original BB comes thru for me. Else, I'll have to try the BB mail method described here or just wait a while. My S3 still works fine.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Okay, I have read through this thread and ones from other websites such as the slickdeals thread. I still am timid to try this and would like verification that this will work. I have an upgrade on my line which has Unlimited Data. Can I get the Note 4 from Amazon at the upgrade price and then swap sim cards to keep my unlimited data. Or do you have to do it through Best Buy?

You can go through Amazon rather than Best Buy as the sim swap still works. However, the big differences are: (1) Best Buy has an option that says "keep current plan", (2) Amazon requires you to select a new plan, and (3) Amazon, hypothetically, can charge you for changing your plan during the first 180 days.

Technically, the sim swap will work with just about everyone including Verizon. Most people just prefer Best Buy because it is safer with the "keep current plan" option.

marki86

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

Finally got order to go through. Did not transfer UDP to tiered line. Just left it and was going to swap sim card. Now I have text from Best Buy saying to call, that there is a problem with my order. Help, please!

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Finally got order to go through. Did not transfer UDP to tiered line. Just left it and was going to swap sim card. Now I have text from Best Buy saying to call, that there is a problem with my order. Help, please!

Cancel the order.

Sent from my Note 4 using Tapatalk.

marki86

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

How long should I wait before trying again?

shortwave8669

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

Did you transfer upgrade from UDP to tiered line? That is what I want to do, but am very nervous!

No i did not transfer an upgrade from a tiered data line. To be honest that process confuses me.
The line already had UDP and was eligible for it's own upgrade.

QBert

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

Ok, I didn't pre-order the Note 4 through BB because I want to keep unlimited data and read on here to not pre-order. Now the black N4 isn't available to purchase online - in store only - and has been this way pretty much since the release. Is this a supply issue? I know it may be a hard question to answer, but does anyone have any thoughts on when they may be available to purchase online through BB? I know it has been less than a week since it was released, but I've been wanting this phone since it was announced, and my upgrade has been available since the end of July and I'm getting antsy! (And sorry if this is not the best place for this question, but thought I may get a good answer here from others in the same boat trying to keep their unlimited data.)

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

Ok, I didn't pre-order the Note 4 through BB because I want to keep unlimited data and read on here to not pre-order. Now the black N4 isn't available to purchase online - in store only - and has been this way pretty much since the release. Is this a supply issue? I know it may be a hard question to answer, but does anyone have any thoughts on when they may be available to purchase online through BB? I know it has been less than a week since it was released, but I've been wanting this phone since it was announced, and my upgrade has been available since the end of July and I'm getting antsy! (And sorry if this is not the best place for this question, but thought I may get a good answer here from others in the same boat trying to keep their unlimited data.)

Patience Qbert. It will become available eventually thru shipping, I am waiting patiently as well but also for a price drop, more likely around the holidays. : )

QBert

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

Patience Qbert. It will become available eventually thru shipping, I am waiting patiently as well but also for a price drop, more likely around the holidays. : )

Ugh... I don't know if I can hold out that long. If it takes much longer, Samsung may lose a customer. Moto is making a compelling argument for my money with the Turbo.

shortwave8669

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

From what I have been reading everybody gets that message with BB. Myself I wouldn't use that store, but in no means am I saying it won't work or the guy can't do it. Do its really just up to you. Like I said I do know it had been done before by a friend.

I also saw that same warning when I ordered my phone through BestBuy.com

clownin72

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I would try it with Verizon online but just got a bad feeling as soon as I have to click on that other data plan and agree. My unlimited is gone forever. Even with the sim swap

Last edited:

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

I would try it with Verizon online but just got a bad feeling as soon as I have to click on that other data plan and agree. My unlimited is gone forever. Even with the sim swap
Do not do a straight upgrade on Verizon! No where on this thread does anybody say to do that. You will lose your UDP.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Verizon online only works if you have at least two lines and the upgrade is on a line different than the intended target.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anzarkv