[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

I don't want it to actually switch the lines though if it let's me.. My wife needs her phone for work and can't even spare 30 minutes with out it
You don't have to switch it. You just have to see if it will let you.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Hey can someone help me upgrade?

Line 1 = UDP with upgrade available
Line 2 = TDP with no upgrade available

I want the new turbo for line 1 and keep my unlimited data. Yesterday I transfered the upgrade to line 2 and ordered through online Verizon and chose in store pick up. I got the email saying my order was ready for pick up, so I drove all the way to Verizon and when I got there, they couldn't find my order anywhere. I looked on myverizon and saw that the order disappeared completely. I tried placing the order again but this time is now says that line 2 is not applicable for an upgrade and it will not let me transfer now.

Is there a different method I could use to upgrade? Can I do the best buy method Sim swap?
You can also do the upgrade transfer in store, I have done that and plan on doing it again. You do not have to do it online.

QBert

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

This all absolutely sucks. Verizon has the best network but damn they suck otherwise. I am still using the Galaxy Nexus with unlimited data. Waited for the Nexus 6 but now that I see it's so big(and expensive) I've decided I want to upgrade to the Droid Turbo. My contract expired Jan 2012. I have the single line 900 minute plan and as I said unlimited data. I really wanted to hold on to the unlimited data but it looks like the only way is to buy the phone at full retail($600). I can do that but don't want to if I can avoid it. This has me questioning if it's really worth hanging on to the unlimited plan. But getting put on a 2G plan and worrying about going over every month sux worse. I'm currently paying about $93/month with a 12% corporate discount. Went into a verizon store yesterday and was told that I can't use the Edge program as that will modify my plan and cause me to lose unlmtd data. Anyone see any options here besides paying full retail? Any decent priced options to get say 4 or 5G of data for a comparable price? Even if the phone minutes are less than 900.

I was st a Verizon 3rd party retail store last week, and to make a long story short, they were offering me 6gb of data for the price of 2gb to come off unlimited data. I think it was a promotion they started to offer people coming off unlimited when they stopped offering that plan.

Or you could do the Best Buy method. Order the phone, have it shipped to you, and choose no change to your current plan. When the phone arrives, use your current sim to turn the phone on, not the sim it ships with. This is what I would like to do for a Note 4, but it's not available for shipping from best buy right now...

Posted via Android Central App

clayton993

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

Ok so whatever was pending has been lifted and I'm able to transfer my upgrade to the tiered line. I'm at the final checkout page on Verizon, but it looks like only one phone is on the plan?

It says nationwide talk and text for $80 and then says line access "1 4g smartphone - droid turbo"

Does this mean my unlimited line got dropped? It looks like this transfer method has been fixed and no longer possible.

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

Ok so whatever was pending has been lifted and I'm able to transfer my upgrade to the tiered line. I'm at the final checkout page on Verizon, but it looks like only one phone is on the plan?

It says nationwide talk and text for $80 and then says line access "1 4g smartphone - droid turbo"

Does this mean my unlimited line got dropped? It looks like this transfer method has been fixed and no longer possible.

I just attempted to transfer but I am getting a error on their site. I can't get past the log in. I believe they are having issues with there site. But from what you are saying, something doesn't seem right. I will try tomorrow and see what I come up with but as of last week it still worked fine.

clayton993

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

I seriously think transferring upgrades from an unlimited line to a tiered line is no longer possible through Verizon online.

Wish others would chime in on this. Looks like the best buy method might be the only way? I hope not because the droid turbo says "coming soon" AND "not available for shipping."

clayton993

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

So I tried again.. And exact thing happened as yesterday. The order processes and an email gets sent out to go pick up the phone.. BUT the order is no where to be found on myverizon. There is no history of the order and you can't even check the status with the order number provided, It gets secretly deleted some how.. Online and phone reps have even confirmed there is nothing pending on my account..and this is all within 10 minutes of getting the "go pick it" up email.

Wierd!

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

So I tried again.. And exact thing happened as yesterday. The order processes and an email gets sent out to go pick up the phone.. BUT the order is no where to be found on myverizon. There is no history of the order and you can't even check the status with the order number provided, It gets secretly deleted some how.. Online and phone reps have even confirmed there is nothing pending on my account..and this is all within 10 minutes of getting the "go pick it" up email.

Wierd!
When the system resets, have it shipped to your house. I try to avoid going to the stores when using a loophole to keep unlimited data.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site

I'm not sure if my exact situation has been discussed in this thread, but I don't want to read through the whole thing again!

I have a single Verizon UDP on month to month. My goal is a Nexus 6. As of now we don't know when it will be available, or if Best Buy will offer home shipping. I'm thinking of buying something else, such as an iPhone or an S5, on contract, and then immediately selling it. I'd then use the cash to put towards a Nexus 6 off contract.

Is this a good idea? If I do this, which phone would give me the biggest return? Do I activate the phone with my SIM card before selling, or do I simply remove the SIM card it ships with but never put my SIM card in it? I do know enough not to boot it up with the SIM card that comes with it!

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

clayton993

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

I don't know if this is a good idea or not but I will say that the iPhone 6 64 gigs go for $850-$1050 on eBay.. Sometimes higher! The 6 plus sells for a little more. I've been watching Iphones on eBay for over a week now.

I also think you have to activate it on your line first then re activate your old phone and you should be good to sell it. You may want to double check on this.

Last edited:

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

I seriously think transferring upgrades from an unlimited line to a tiered line is no longer possible through Verizon online.

Wish others would chime in on this. Looks like the best buy method might be the only way? I hope not because the droid turbo says "coming soon" AND "not available for shipping."

I just did the steps again 5 minutes ago and nothing has changed since I did it last week. I'm now doing this week to week because there's someone that claims every week now that it doesn't work. well, everything on my end seemed to check out just fine.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

I'm not sure if my exact situation has been discussed in this thread, but I don't want to read through the whole thing again!

I have a single Verizon UDP on month to month. My goal is a Nexus 6. As of now we don't know when it will be available, or if Best Buy will offer home shipping. I'm thinking of buying something else, such as an iPhone or an S5, on contract, and then immediately selling it. I'd then use the cash to put towards a Nexus 6 off contract.

Is this a good idea? If I do this, which phone would give me the biggest return? Do I activate the phone with my SIM card before selling, or do I simply remove the SIM card it ships with but never put my SIM card in it? I do know enough not to boot it up with the SIM card that comes with it!

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

My suggestion would be to wait and see what happens to the Nexus 6 once it is released before deciding what to do. The Best Buy method is your only option if you don't want to pay full price for any phone. In this case, I'd do a little research on Swappa and Ebay to see what prices are going for. Typically, the newest iPhones tend to do very well especially if you are willing to ship overseas.

If you do go this route, the buyer will need to know that you have removed the SIM card from the phone before shipping. There are a couple of threads on macrumors with more information if you decide to do this. Personally, I'd just wait. Best Buy will eventually offer shipping.

clayton993

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

Rdjr..you can transfer, upgrade and keep unlimited data through online Verizon? Im starting to think it's a problem with my debit card and not Verizon. I think my card is getting declined.

I noticed when I enter my debit card info, it attaches my wife's name to the card instead of mine since she's the Verizon account owner.. Her name is not on the account I'm trying to use. I can't figure out to change it to my name when filling out card info. I may try her debit card next time and see what happens. I didn't think it mattered since they don't take the payment until I pick up in store

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

Rdjr..you can transfer, upgrade and keep unlimited data through online Verizon? Im starting to think it's a problem with my debit card and not Verizon. I think my card is getting declined.

I noticed when I enter my debit card info, it attaches my wife's name to the card instead of mine since she's the Verizon account owner.. Her name is not on the account I'm trying to use. I can't figure out to change it to my name when filling out card info. I may try her debit card next time and see what happens. I didn't think it mattered since they don't take the payment until I pick up in store

Well I am doing all the steps up until the " checkout" screen but yes everything up to that point looks fine. I think your situation is an anomaly which appears you may have figured out.

You have to think, if you couldn't transfer an upgrade then they wouldn't give you the option.

waterday20

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site

It looks like Best buy is finally shipping the Note 4 and the Droid Turbo. Is anyone going this route for any of those? I am very tempted to get the Note 4, but my whole goal has been to get the Nexus 6, and have been inching closer or convincing my self a little bit everyday that the Note 4 would be just as good. Patience, patience...

Can someone confirm that the Best Buy method of using an upgrade on a dumb phone line, then swapping the SIM card still works and you won't be stuck with the data package on the dumb phone line? That is the method that I am leaning towards since it seems safest. Thanks.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

Can someone confirm that the Best Buy method of using an upgrade on a dumb phone line, then swapping the SIM card still works and you won't be stuck with the data package on the dumb phone line? That is the method that I am leaning towards since it seems safest. Thanks.

I did exactly this with Best Buy. Had a dumbphone line with an upgrade available, ordered the Note 4 from Best Buy on that line, when it arrived, I pulled out the sim in the phone, destroyed it, and pulled the sim from my UDP Note 2 and put it in the Note 4. No issues. I still have unlimited data on my line and no data plan on the dumbphone line.

There was a very short period of time the black Note 4 was available for shipping from Best Buy on release week and I got lucky and slipped into that window. I highly recommend the phone, its awesome. I would never buy a phone that did not have an SD card slot, but that's just me.

ThrottleAbuse

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site

Can you upgrade a non 4G UDP line to a new phone? My bro is finally ready to ditch his droid X and get a new phone. I know who still has a Droid X? He has unlimited data. Can this be done? My thought was to take a Galaxy Nexus I have and SIM and just try to activate it on his line. Then I was going to transfer an upgrade to another TDP line and upgrade that line. Then when the new phone comes in do the activation on the TDP line. Wait an hour then transfer new phone to UDP line that GN is now on(formerly X). Any idea if this will work?

marki86

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

Ordered online from Best Buy using UDP line. Phone shipped from store with sim card in it. As long as I remove and destroy without turning on, I can just insert my current sim and keep UDP, correct? I did not expect card to be in phone.

Posted via Android Central App

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jameszang48