[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

User Unknown2

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

It's completed. I took my 'available for upgrade' non-data line and made it a data plan line, then purchased the Turbo. The rep activated the Turbo on that line, then switched it to my Unlimited data (not under contract) line and reactivated the old phone on limited data line. It's been about an hour since all this happened. Just ck'd the 2gig line is now under contract and my Unlimited line has the Turbo on it and it stayed the same - no contract unlimited data.

User Unknown2

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

Thank you. Another question then, since this one I really can't ask the reps :) How long do I have to have the phone on the TDP before switching to my UDP? Trying to avoid having to order a sim adapter and nano sim to put in my current phone then swap the sim. Seems like it'd be much easier and efficient to just switch the upgraded phone to the UDP online.

Hope I made sense there.

They just did all that switching for me at the store. Activated the Turbo on the TDP line, then switched it to the UDP line, and reactivated the old phone back on the TDP line. Took about 15 minutes and he was done.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Thank you. Another question then, since this one I really can't ask the reps :) How long do I have to have the phone on the TDP before switching to my UDP? Trying to avoid having to order a sim adapter and nano sim to put in my current phone then swap the sim. Seems like it'd be much easier and efficient to just switch the upgraded phone to the UDP online.

Hope I made sense there.
There is no at limit. Before the requirement for data on tiered lines I have purchased a phone on a dumbphone line, as soon as the rep handed me the phone I swapped the sim and put it in my unlimited line. I then called and cancelled the data plan.

I would just make sure the phone is active in the line. If there are no pending activations you should be able to swap them online.

Sent from my Note 4 using Tapatalk.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

It's completed. I took my 'available for upgrade' non-data line and made it a data plan line, then purchased the Turbo. The rep activated the Turbo on that line, then switched it to my Unlimited data (not under contract) line and reactivated the old phone on limited data line. It's been about an hour since all this happened. Just ck'd the 2gig line is now under contract and my Unlimited line has the Turbo on it and it stayed the same - no contract unlimited data.
Are you now paying for data on a line you don't want data on?

Masx

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

Currently I have 4 lines

basic w/ upgrade
UDP w./ upgrade
UDP w/ upgrade
UDP w/ upgrade

I only want to use two upgrades atm. Is it fine to upgrade basic to tiered 2gb then transfer phone to another UDP then after wards transfer upgrade from a UDP to tier and get a phone for that line? Basically there's no "cooldown period for using upgrades is there?

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Currently I have 4 lines

basic w/ upgrade
UDP w./ upgrade
UDP w/ upgrade
UDP w/ upgrade

I only want to use two upgrades atm. Is it fine to upgrade basic to tiered 2gb then transfer phone to another UDP then after wards transfer upgrade from a UDP to tier and get a phone for that line? Basically there's no "cooldown period for using upgrades is there?
No. There is no cool down period. As long as there in no pending activation you are good to go.

VooDooCC

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

There is no at limit. Before the requirement for data on tiered lines I have purchased a phone on a dumbphone line, as soon as the rep handed me the phone I swapped the sim and put it in my unlimited line. I then called and cancelled the data plan.

I would just make sure the phone is active in the line. If there are no pending activations you should be able to swap them online.

Thanks, that's probably the route I'll go. There's been so many upgrade methods I've gotten confused and thought the upgrade switcheroo was blocked.

Talking through tapping

User Unknown2

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

Yes and No. My Turbo had to go on a line that had data & was available for upgrade b4 I could switch it to my UDP. My upgrade lines didn't have a data pkg. So, Yes, I made 1 of them a 2gig data line which will cost me $30 a month. However, the person that has that phone has been begging for over a yr for me to upgrade his line to a data pkg. So, No, I'm not paying for a data I don't need cuz the person that uses that line is now excited :) However, he will now have to pay me the $30 a month plus fees. I had my old phone on the UDP line switched to his line so he can use the data.

User Unknown2

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

Another thing - I thought about canceling the data pkg on the line I upgraded to data just to get the Turbo - once I had the Turbo on my UDP line. However, I read thru the "rules" they have you sign on the phone line I made a data pkg. After the August changes you can no longer cancel that newly created data line once you transfer the phone. If you do cancel the newly created data pkg you pay full price for the phone you got on that line plus you pay early termination for the data pkg. Verizon closed the loop-hole.

bigredinmass

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site

Called my Best Buy (Braintree, MA) regarding my pre-order for the Note 4 as I have yet to receive an email to pick up. They have one in stock so they are holding for me today to pick up after work. They confirmed I will get the $200 trade in promotion with the fact that I am buying the phone full price and NOT renewing my contract to keep my grandfathered UDP. So when I get there, the phone should cost $550 after the $200 gift card is applied (not incl taxes). No change to my grandfathered contract. That should be ok right? If I am paying full price then I shouldn't worry about losing my unlimited data?

InfiniteClouds

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Hello there. I have a question regarding the Best Buy method and SIM swapping. I had a Droid 4 (micro SIM) and recently purchased a Droid Turbo (nano) from a Verizon corporate store at full retail price - they activated it in-store and I still have my unlimited data now on a nano SIM instead of the Micro. However, I am considering returning the Turbo and paying the restocking fee.

If I buy a nano -> micro adapter, transfer my currently activated nano SIM back to my Droid 4, and then return the Turbo and pay the restocking fee. Can I then use my 'new' nano SIM in the Best Buy method? I didn't use the method to begin with because I would have to cut and file the card and I am awful when it comes to stuff like that. Will Verizon want my SIM card back as well when I return the phone or is the SIM card 'yours' once it's tied to your account and you just swap it between whatever phones you get?

757keith

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

This all absolutely sucks. Verizon has the best network but damn they suck otherwise. I am still using the Galaxy Nexus with unlimited data. Waited for the Nexus 6 but now that I see it's so big(and expensive) I've decided I want to upgrade to the Droid Turbo. My contract expired Jan 2012. I have the single line 900 minute plan and as I said unlimited data. I really wanted to hold on to the unlimited data but it looks like the only way is to buy the phone at full retail($600). I can do that but don't want to if I can avoid it. This has me questioning if it's really worth hanging on to the unlimited plan. But getting put on a 2G plan and worrying about going over every month sux worse. I'm currently paying about $93/month with a 12% corporate discount. Went into a verizon store yesterday and was told that I can't use the Edge program as that will modify my plan and cause me to lose unlmtd data. Anyone see any options here besides paying full retail? Any decent priced options to get say 4 or 5G of data for a comparable price? Even if the phone minutes are less than 900.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Currently I have 4 lines

basic w/ upgrade
UDP w./ upgrade
UDP w/ upgrade
UDP w/ upgrade

You might try just using the basic line phone to order a smart phone and when it comes don't activateit onthe basicline just put the SIM from your unlimited data line in the new phone. The pending data plan on the basic line won't go into effect and you won't be stuck with data charges on the basic line. The pending plan will fall off in a week or so. I've seen one post that confirmed this.

Posted via Android Central App

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

This all absolutely sucks. Verizon has the best network but damn they suck otherwise. I am still using the Galaxy Nexus with unlimited data. Waited for the Nexus 6 but now that I see it's so big(and expensive) I've decided I want to upgrade to the Droid Turbo. My contract expired Jan 2012. I have the single line 900 minute plan and as I said unlimited data. I really wanted to hold on to the unlimited data but it looks like the only way is to buy the phone at full retail($600). I can do that but don't want to if I can avoid it. This has me questioning if it's really worth hanging on to the unlimited plan. But getting put on a 2G plan and worrying about going over every month sux worse. I'm currently paying about $93/month with a 12% corporate discount. Went into a verizon store yesterday and was told that I can't use the Edge program as that will modify my plan and cause me to lose unlmtd data. Anyone see any options here besides paying full retail? Any decent priced options to get say 4 or 5G of data for a comparable price? Even if the phone minutes are less than 900.

You could always finance a phone from Best Buy or one of the manufacturers. For instance, just wait until the Droid Turbo is available from either Best Buy or Motorola's website. Both offer zero percent financing and would work for your situation.

Posted via Android Central App

clayton993

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

Hey can someone help me upgrade?

Line 1 = UDP with upgrade available
Line 2 = TDP with no upgrade available

I want the new turbo for line 1 and keep my unlimited data. Yesterday I transfered the upgrade to line 2 and ordered through online Verizon and chose in store pick up. I got the email saying my order was ready for pick up, so I drove all the way to Verizon and when I got there, they couldn't find my order anywhere. I looked on myverizon and saw that the order disappeared completely. I tried placing the order again but this time is now says that line 2 is not applicable for an upgrade and it will not let me transfer now.

Is there a different method I could use to upgrade? Can I do the best buy method Sim swap?

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Hey can someone help me upgrade?

Line 1 = UDP with upgrade available
Line 2 = TDP with no upgrade available

I want the new turbo for line 1 and keep my unlimited data. Yesterday I transfered the upgrade to line 2 and ordered through online Verizon and chose in store pick up. I got the email saying my order was ready for pick up, so I drove all the way to Verizon and when I got there, they couldn't find my order anywhere. I looked on myverizon and saw that the order disappeared completely. I tried placing the order again but this time is now says that line 2 is not applicable for an upgrade and it will not let me transfer now.

Is there a different method I could use to upgrade? Can I do the best buy method Sim swap?

Can you upgrade line 1. Sounds like the system did not Reset yet. I would call and make sure the order is cancelled.

You can do the best buy method, but I prefer the transfer upgrade method.

clayton993

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

Yes I can still upgrade line 1 (line with UDP) but I cannot transfer it to the second line now for some reason. I upgraded line 2 a few months ago to the s5 that's currently being used on that line.. Could this be the reason also?

I've called and went back to the store to cancel the order but neither one could even find the order!

How long does it take for the system to reset?

Edit: do you think line 2 has a pending upgrade or activation causing this and some how it's errored out and no visable right now?

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Yes I can still upgrade line 1 (line with UDP) but I cannot transfer it to the second line now for some reason. I upgraded line 2 a few months ago to the s5 that's currently being used on that line.. Could this be the reason also?

I've called and went back to the store to cancel the order but neither one could even find the order!

How long does it take for the system to reset?

Edit: do you think line 2 has a pending upgrade or activation causing this and some how it's errored out and no visable right now?
Sounds like it. Go online and try to switch the devices. It will say if there is a pending activation.

Last edited:

clayton993

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

I don't want it to actually switch the lines though if it let's me.. My wife needs her phone for work and can't even spare 30 minutes with out it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jameszang48