[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

I've been trying to go through the thread, but it's huge! Does the line have to be a dumb phone? We have a line with the 2GB/month plan,

So if I just transfer my upgrade to that line, get the phone upgrade and activate it on that line.
Then switch sim cards back to me, would I still be able to keep my unlimited?

Yes, Any non unlimited line would work, including the 2gb tiered data.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

patal05

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

Technically that is what you're doing as that's the contract you're extending. When the phone comes, it'll be set up to activate on the line you transferred to (not the line you transferred from).
Ok folks who have done this. When you got the comfirmation email from verizon. which phone number did they use on the email as being upgraded. I just did the transfer and the email confirmation stated i was upgrading my unlimited line (the number I transfered the upgrade from) not my wifes 2gb line. Is this normal??????

kajinofe

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site

Ok, lots of different scenarios with different back grounds...

My background:

Mine: Unlimited smartphone eligible for upgrade now
Wife: 2GB/month smartphone eligible sometime next year

My intention was to transfer the upgrade online through vzw.com and then go to a store and buy the phone there with the line that received the upgrade (2GB/month), but this doesn't seem to work or I'm doing something wrong. When I tried to transfer the upgrade from my unlimited to the 2GB/month smartphone:

1. Log onto vzw.com
2. Go to upgrade page and select my unlimited phone with upgrade eligible now
3. Transfer the upgrade to the 2GB/month smartphone
4. Now stuck... It doesn't let me proceed until I actually select the 2GB/month phone, now eligible for upgrade, and buy a new phone online.

There doesn't seem to be an option to "just transfer the upgrade eligibility" online. Can you guys confirm this?

Reading some old posts on this thread, someone just bought the phone online and did an in-store pickup which took them only 30 minutes according to that post. I'll probably resort to this method...

patal05

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

Correct. The transfer of the upgrade doesn't occur until you actually buy the phone on the line you transferred the upgrade to.
Ok, lots of different scenarios with different back grounds...

My background:

Mine: Unlimited smartphone eligible for upgrade now
Wife: 2GB/month smartphone eligible sometime next year

My intention was to transfer the upgrade online through vzw.com and then go to a store and buy the phone there with the line that received the upgrade (2GB/month), but this doesn't seem to work or I'm doing something wrong. When I tried to transfer the upgrade from my unlimited to the 2GB/month smartphone:

1. Log onto vzw.com
2. Go to upgrade page and select my unlimited phone with upgrade eligible now
3. Transfer the upgrade to the 2GB/month smartphone
4. Now stuck... It doesn't let me proceed until I actually select the 2GB/month phone, now eligible for upgrade, and buy a new phone online.

There doesn't seem to be an option to "just transfer the upgrade eligibility" online. Can you guys confirm this?

Reading some old posts on this thread, someone just bought the phone online and did an in-store pickup which took them only 30 minutes according to that post. I'll probably resort to this method...

hajabooja

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

I've done upgrade-transfers a few times thru the Verizon website and other 3rd party retailers. I was looking on Wirefly and they currently offer upgrade-transfers. However, when I get to the "Features" page, it asks me to change my data plan. When I go down to "Keep my existing plan" and click on "view details" it reads this;

Please note that Verizon Wireless no longer offers the $29.99/month unlimited data feature. If you wish to retain your unlimited data plan, please close this window and select ?replacement phone" to purchase a non-discounted phone.
If your current data feature is still available from Verizon Wireless, we will provision it and your monthly price will remain the same as it is today. If you are on a Verizon Wireless ?Double Your Data" promotional feature, you will continue to receive the same promotional data allowance as before.

If you do not have a Verizon Wireless data feature OR your existing data feature is no longer supported by Verizon Wireless OR your existing data feature is not compatible with your new device, we will automatically provision the 2 GB Data Package for $30.00/month.

What does this mean exactly? Will my plan actually change or what?

Thanks in advance.

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

I've done upgrade-transfers a few times thru the Verizon website and other 3rd party retailers. I was looking on Wirefly and they currently offer upgrade-transfers. However, when I get to the "Features" page, it asks me to change my data plan. When I go down to "Keep my existing plan" and click on "view details" it reads this;

Please note that Verizon Wireless no longer offers the $29.99/month unlimited data feature. If you wish to retain your unlimited data plan, please close this window and select ?replacement phone" to purchase a non-discounted phone.
If your current data feature is still available from Verizon Wireless, we will provision it and your monthly price will remain the same as it is today. If you are on a Verizon Wireless ?Double Your Data" promotional feature, you will continue to receive the same promotional data allowance as before.

If you do not have a Verizon Wireless data feature OR your existing data feature is no longer supported by Verizon Wireless OR your existing data feature is not compatible with your new device, we will automatically provision the 2 GB Data Package for $30.00/month.

What does this mean exactly? Will my plan actually change or what?

Thanks in advance.

Yes it will change. What other retailers have you successfully done a transfer upgrade through? The only safe ones to use are verizon itself, best buy and Costco I believe.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

hajabooja

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

Yes it will change. What other retailers have you successfully done a transfer upgrade through? The only safe ones to use are verizon itself, best buy and Costco I believe.

I used Wireless Zone in my area. I actually told them what I wanted to do to retain my unlimited data, and they listened to me. I'd like to be able to use my Droid X2 to receive the $100 credit and still upgrade to the Moto X or new Droid MAXX. However, I'd be using an upgrade from a current smart phone line. Has Verizon been accepting towards this? It's been a little while, so I'm just trying to get a feel as to what they might tell me when I go in-store. The only way to get the $100 credit from the Droid X2 is to go in-store.

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site

OK I know I'm really late to this party. And yes, I have read the thread. A couple of quick questions please.

We have 2 unlimited data lines at the moment. Is it too late to add a 3rd cheap line to use for transferring upgrades between?

Worst case scenario, my wife doesn't use data anywhere near as much as I do. The wifi at work is restricted (behind a firewall) so I have to use LTE data while I'm there which is why I use quite a bit of data. I assume it would be relatively easy to do the following:

Get an HTC ONE on her line and change it from unlimited to a 2gb plan. Then, after the purchase, put her Maxx back on her line and swap the ONE over to my unlimited line?

Because we are both on the same account they won't force us onto a Shared Data Plan will they?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

tisoyboy2

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

I have had an upgrade for a few months. I will not use it for a discount and lose unlimited data. My bill would be 5 bucks cheaper but with a 2gb cap. I use 4-6 a month. I have the Note 2 that I paid full retail for with no regrets. Will either do the same for the N3 or start a second separate line and change it to a dummy phone for 10$ a month.
$300 for Note 3
$240 for $10 x 24 months
$540= total (+tx)
Cheaper then 700$+ and the 240 is spread out. Verizon store confirmed this.

winampman

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

Question:
How does this work with LTE SIM cards? I have unlimited 3G data, I am upgrading to the GS4 from a 3G device (no SIM card).
The new phone will come with a new LTE SIM card. I know I have to activate this phone on the basic line, then reactivate the basic phone on the basic line, then activate the new phone on my unlimited line. But is it all using the same LTE SIM card? I read on another forum that you need to order a new SIM card for your unlimited line. And the instructions in this thread make no mention of SIM cards. Thanks for your help.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Question:
How does this work with LTE SIM cards? I have unlimited 3G data, I am upgrading to the GS4 from a 3G device (no SIM card).
The new phone will come with a new LTE SIM card. I know I have to activate this phone on the basic line, then reactivate the basic phone on the basic line, then activate the new phone on my unlimited line. But is it all using the same LTE SIM card? I read on another forum that you need to order a new SIM card for your unlimited line. And the instructions in this thread make no mention of SIM cards. Thanks for your help.

Just get a new sim card from Verizon in store or call them or do It online.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Question:

I believe they can reuse a SIM. It has to be active for 24 hours though. I got my wife an iPhone 5 using an alternate upgrade. It had to be active on the alternate line for 24 hours before they could switch it to her line.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

I plan to do this with my plan.

Currently have the Nationwide Share 700 with 2 smartphones (both unlimited) and 2 dumbphones (both $1.99/minute data). Both dumbphones have upgrades - and 1 smartphone does - the other isn't due until 3/14.

Anyway - I think I understand the process pretty well at this point but just wanted to get opinions on the best place to do it at? My official VZW corporate store has never knocked my socks off even though that's where I've always done business. I also have both a Costco and Best Buy close by as well.

Where do you all think I'd have the best luck doing this as I can really see my VZW store not going along with it. Or should I muddle my way through the website and try doing it there?

Also - do you think I'd be best doing both phones at once or one now and one a while later?

Thanks!

BenjiMaxwell1

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site

Yeah I wouldn't take the risk...Fine print straight from Wirefly's website.

"We promise you savings in the form of instant discounts, with no rebates or gimmicks, when you sign up for Verizon Wireless service on a 2 year agreement. We are able to offer these great discounts because we get paid by Verizon Wireless for having helped them get (or retain) a good customer. Delivering on this promise means that you must agree to maintain your agreement with Verizon Wireless for a minimum of 181 days after activation. If we are notified by Verizon Wireless that they are not going to pay us because your phone has been deactivated during this period, then this may lead to additional charges.
To provide you with significant savings vs. buying in a retail store, the price you paid for your device includes an Instant Savings Discount from this online retailer.
By accepting this Instant Savings Discount, you agree to repay $200 of this discount ($400 for smartphones, tablets, and netbooks) and authorize us to charge your credit card in repayment of this amount if, you signed up for a 2 year agreement and during the 181 days after your new equipment is activated, Verizon Wireless notifies us that the services you purchased have been suspended, disconnected, or deactivated, or if you return your purchase outside of the return and exchange provisions of our Satisfaction Guarantee.
Other than you simply deactivating a line we've activated, Verizon Wireless could notify us that you deactivated if:
*You fail to pay Verizon Wireless in accordance with their terms and conditions
*You transfer equipment we activate on one line to another Verizon Wireless line, even within the same account
*You activate this equipment on a new line of service on Verizon Wireless and use it to replace an existing Verizon Wireless line by deactivating the existing line."

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I wouldn't do it from Wirefly. Costco and best buy does not have the secondary etf like Wirefly or a number of other third party

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I plan to do this with my plan.

Currently have the Nationwide Share 700 with 2 smartphones (both unlimited) and 2 dumbphones (both $1.99/minute data). Both dumbphones have upgrades - and 1 smartphone does - the other isn't due until 3/14.

Anyway - I think I understand the process pretty well at this point but just wanted to get opinions on the best place to do it at? My official VZW corporate store has never knocked my socks off even though that's where I've always done business. I also have both a Costco and Best Buy close by as well.

Where do you all think I'd have the best luck doing this as I can really see my VZW store not going along with it. Or should I muddle my way through the website and try doing it there?

Also - do you think I'd be best doing both phones at once or one now and one a while later?

Thanks!

Dumb phones can be done now and both can be done at once if you want. For dumb phone lines you can either buy from Verizon or Costco or Best buy, those are the three I know for sure that allows you to swap phones without issue

NBAJ2K

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site

Was wondering if summertime can clarify something for me.

So we have a 4 line family plan :

Line 1: 2gb data
Line 2: 2gb data
Line 3: Unlimited data
Line 4: Unlimited data

My parents both have 2gb plans on their iPhones and my brother and I have unlimited data plans on our Android phones.

Based on this thread, it's looking like I can transfer my upgrade to either one of my parents lines, upgrade on their line, and then activate it on my unlimited line (doing an ESN swap).

Just wanted to find out how it works with insurance. All 4 of the lines have insurance in them, but will any of the lines lose insurance if I do this? Or is this one of those things I need to wait for open enrollment to put insurance back?

I'm happy with my S3 and wouldn't be looking into even trying this probably until sometime next year.

Thanks in advance!

-J

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Was wondering if summertime can clarify something for me.

So we have a 4 line family plan :

Line 1: 2gb data
Line 2: 2gb data
Line 3: Unlimited data
Line 4: Unlimited data

My parents both have 2gb plans on their iPhones and my brother and I have unlimited data plans on our Android phones.

Based on this thread, it's looking like I can transfer my upgrade to either one of my parents lines, upgrade on their line, and then activate it on my unlimited line (doing an ESN swap).

Just wanted to find out how it works with insurance. All 4 of the lines have insurance in them, but will any of the lines lose insurance if I do this? Or is this one of those things I need to wait for open enrollment to put insurance back?

I'm happy with my S3 and wouldn't be looking into even trying this probably until sometime next year.

Thanks in advance!

-J

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I had no problem transferring insurance when I used an upgrade from an alternate line. I just verified and started a claim. It is showing my Galaxy Note 2. The transfer was automatically done.

Make sure if you do the upgrade the phone is activated on one of the tiered lines.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

tetrismaster

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site

From your guys' experience how difficult was it to get this done in store? How upfront were you guys on trying to preserve unlimited data and were the Verizon retail people cooperative? My fear is resistance and denial that this method works... but I'd like to pick up my phone in store. I also need to swap a nanosim to a micro Sim and then back to nano so I'm not sure how the retail stores would take that.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Do the transfer and purchase in store and don't tell them anything. Do the rest at home later. Remember the 14 days you have to correct any issues.

Nexus through spacetime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter