[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

winampman

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Okay, reporting in on a successful activation:

One of my dumbphone lines had an available upgrade. Went to verizonwireless.com, and bought a subsidized GS4 for that dumbphone line. After I got it in the mail, I put in the new SIM card and activated on the dumbphone line. Phone worked fine. Then I went back onto verizonwireless.com, clicked on "Activate or Switch Device", selected the dumbphone line (with the GS4), and switched it back to the dumbphone (this removed the data line too). There was an issue when my dad dialed *228 to finish reactivating the dumbphone, something about the 4G line. I'm not sure if it was necessary but he called customer service and made sure the dumbphone was fully activated again.

Now this is the part that the OP's instructions doesn't mention. TAKE OUT THE SIM CARD. That SIM card has been activated and is now tied to the dumbphone line. If you already have a 4G device with same size SIM card on your line, then you should be able to use that SIM card in your new device. If you don't have an existing 4G SIM card, then you need to get a new one for your line. If you try to activate your line with the already-activated SIM card, it probably won't work (as many people here have reported) and you'll have to call a Verizon rep and get them to reset it and stuff. Big hassle.

SIM cards are free from Verizon, but their only condition is that they have to do the activation. So I went to the nearest Verizon store, showed them my GS4 (with SIM card removed), and said I needed a new SIM card for it (I acted like I bought it retail, didnt say anything about the switching). The rep said no problem and took the phone (he wouldn't let me do it myself), and got me a new SIM card. I said I wanted to make sure my data plan wouldn't change and he actually said "Yeah, you can keep your unlimited data, no problem" and tapped on his iPad to do the activation and handed the phone back. That was it! :)

edit: I just realized my new GS4 is on the ME7 baseband, which means no flashing ROMs! I am very disappointed. :(

Last edited:

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Now this is the part that the OP's instructions doesn't mention. TAKE OUT THE SIM CARD. That SIM card has been activated and is now tied to the dumbphone line. If you already have a 4G device with same size SIM card on your line, then you should be able to use that SIM card in your new device. If you don't have an existing 4G SIM card, then you need to get a new one for your line. If you try to activate your line with the already-activated SIM card, it probably won't work (as many people here have reported) and you'll have to call a Verizon rep and get them to reset it and stuff. Big hassle.

Within the last 2 to 3 months I got my wife a new phone by transferring then switching. A lot of people say you need a new SIM card but when I did it that was not the case at all! Got the phone at the store went home (within 15 mins) did all the switching back online and DID NOT CHANGE THE SIM CARD (used all caps because you did :) and it worked with no problem what so ever!

Tapatalk mofo

Fredo_p

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site

I just tried to transfer an upgrade to keep unlimited data and was denied by a Verizon CSR.

Here was my situation...
1 Unlimited data line WITH upgrade eligible
1 tiered 2GB data line without upgrade

Online, I took the option to transfer my upgrade on the unlimited line to the 2GB line and purchased an HTC one with the upgrade. I chose store pickup for the delivery method.

When I went to pick up my phone, I was upfront with the CSR and told him I wanted to activate the phone on my 2gb line and then reactivate the existing Iphone so I can activate the new phone to my unlimited line and keep unlimited data. He told me there was no way he could do that. I then said I wanted to leave the store with the phone and activate it myself online, and he told me I couldn't leave the store with the phone I purchased unless activated tiered data on my unlimited line (because I transferred the upgrade from my unlimited line). He said even if I just activated the phone on my 2GB line, I would be renewing the contract on my unlimited line which would make it lose unlimited data.

The guy was really nice about it, but basically told me there was no way he could possibly do it in the store. Since he wouldn't let me take the phone home, I completely cancelled the order and walked out.

Never ever have it ship to store. If your behind on a payment or still have a left over balance, they won't help you. They will also attempt to get you off the unlimited plan. Always ship to home and activate it their. The reps you have to deal with, if auto-system can't help, don't really try to switch you over. It's not their specific job/dept.

I hate having to go to a Verizon store for upgrades or anything I can do at home. They just follow the training/script they are given and nothing else.
[my personal opinion/experience]

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

just did this today and it worked. the sales rep and the manager were pissed at me doing it though. they said that if i transfer the phone to another line I

1) can't return it as usual during the 14 days (i don't plan to) and
2) can't get warranty on it through verizon

Is that total BS or what?

they also said they're noting my account or something. dunno what that means

I know you can get the warranty. I do it all the time. If it doesn't carry over in the switch call them up and add it. I forget the grace period, maybe like within 30 days of when you purchase it you can add insurance. All the insurance department cares about is that it originated as a new Verizon phone and you got it through Verizon. They don't want you to add a broken old phone and then make an insurance claim on it. Just say it came from upgrade on line A and you moved it to line B. They will look it up to confirm and add it.

NBAJ2K

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site

I'm happy with my S3, but am hoping this 'loophole' of being able to move upgrades to tiered lines doesn't close.

Since I'm probably not looking to get a new phone until early next year at the earliest (maybe Galaxy S5 or new Nexus?) , would it make sense to just move the upgrade over to the tiered line now just so I don't lose it?

I know it's just the matter of opinion, but was wondering what people's thoughts were.

Thanks in advance,
-J

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

I'm happy with my S3, but am hoping this 'loophole' of being able to move upgrades to tiered lines doesn't close.

Since I'm probably not looking to get a new phone until early next year at the earliest (maybe Galaxy S5 or new Nexus?) , would it make sense to just move the upgrade over to the tiered line now just so I don't lose it?

I know it's just the matter of opinion, but was wondering what people's thoughts were.

Thanks in advance,
-J

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

I don't think you can just move it and have it sit there. You move it and use it. Online if you move it and don't take the next step to start the purchase it reverts back when you close the page. I'm just hoping T-Mobile gets their 4G deployed quickly to compete and pressure Verizon. Competition and people leaving only way to check Verizon's arrogant changes in their plans / policies. They wouldn't do this BS if people left.

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site

Had a quick question and hoping somewhere here can give an answer...

I transferred an eligible upgrade with unlimited data to my mom's line, which has a dumb phone, so I can keep my unlimited data. I ordered and received the HTC One, which is activated on her line and my line continues to keep the unlimited data. Do I need to wait a day to switch the HTC One to my number and reactivate the dumb phone on my mom's line? Right now when I go to do this online I get a message that the HTC One hasn't been activated yet, so it won't let me make any device changes on my mom's line. Many thanks for any clarification here...

tetrismaster

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site

If I end up using someone else's upgrade on the family plan instead of transferring an upgrade, do I still need to activate the phone on his/her account or can I just plug in my own sim-card and go?

BTW I want to thank everyone here to jumps in and answers questions. You guys are amazing!

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

If I end up using someone else's upgrade on the family plan instead of transferring an upgrade, do I still need to activate the phone on his/her account or can I just plug in my own sim-card and go?

BTW I want to thank everyone here to jumps in and answers questions. You guys are amazing!

I think you can just plug in your sim-card and go. I've gotten phones using an upgrade before and then sold them new sealed in the box never used and the person I sold it to had no problem activating it to their line.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Had a quick question and hoping somewhere here can give an answer...

I transferred an eligible upgrade with unlimited data to my mom's line, which has a dumb phone, so I can keep my unlimited data. I ordered and received the HTC One, which is activated on her line and my line continues to keep the unlimited data. Do I need to wait a day to switch the HTC One to my number and reactivate the dumb phone on my mom's line? Right now when I go to do this online I get a message that the HTC One hasn't been activated yet, so it won't let me make any device changes on my mom's line. Many thanks for any clarification here...

Be sure the phone's been activated on her line then put your mom's old phone back on her line to free it up. Then you can put that phone on your unlimited line. You might have to put your sim in it though some have reported the phone not completely available when they try to activate it on their unlimited line.

kincaidinator

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site

Can anyone confirm that this still works? I was going to use this method to buy an HTC One yesterday, but the manager told me that it wouldn't work. I left thinking that he just didn't know what he was talking about. Last night I was talking to a friend of mine that works at Verizon and asking him about my situation. He is very knowledgeable unlike most of the workers in Verizon stores. He told me that they changed their systems about a month ago and it will now bump you off of unlimited even if you use another line's upgrade/transfer your upgrade to another line. Has anyone heard anything similar?

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Can anyone confirm that this still works? I was going to use this method to buy an HTC One yesterday, but the manager told me that it wouldn't work. I left thinking that he just didn't know what he was talking about. Last night I was talking to a friend of mine that works at Verizon and asking him about my situation. He is very knowledgeable unlike most of the workers in Verizon stores. He told me that they changed their systems about a month ago and it will now bump you off of unlimited even if you use another line's upgrade/transfer your upgrade to another line. Has anyone heard anything similar?

All you have to do is look a couple posts above yours. Yes it still works!

I totally don't understand why people go into the stores and tell them their plan to keep unlimited data! It's like kid telling his mom be is going to go eat cookies before dinner!

In all seriousness I don't think it is the workers trying to screw you or tell you wrong, I think they just don't know the truth.

Tapatalk mofo

kincaidinator

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site

No need to be a smartass. I have read the past ten pages on this thread and I see that some people have still been able to do it successfully. I was mainly asking if anyone had heard anything about a change in their internal systems going on.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

No need to be a smartass. I have read the past ten pages on this thread and I see that some people have still been able to do it successfully. I was mainly asking if anyone had heard anything about a change in their internal systems going on.

Wasn't trying to be a smart A, sorry for getting to help when you ask for it.

Tapatalk mofo

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Retail stores are nice because you can easily examine and test things before you buy them. When I ordered my GNEX online in December 2011, I was having difficulty activating the brand new phone on their 4G network, and thought it would be good to let a tech take a look at it.

Looking back, I think they were having network issues that day and the phone was probably fine. However, to his credit, he spent over an hour running various tests on my phone, spending time with Verizon's phone tech support, exchanging my 4-5 day old phone for a brand new unopened one, running more tests, and finally, and very apologetically, handing the brand new phone back to me with clear instructions on what to do in the days to come if it still would not activate.

I felt a little bad leaving because I know those guys work on commission, and, during that hour, I knew exactly how much commission he earned.
Within a day, I got the phone activated, and all was well.

With most any job, you have your good days and bad days, and, for all I knew, he may have had a great day prior to my visit. I sure as heck left with a very positive impression of the store.

In my mind, it's become clear that Verizon doesn't want people to keep unlimited data, period. They have no reason to want to train their sales or support staff to manipulate the system and allow customers to keep unlimited data. I also believe that, as was previously stated, some Verizon employees don't know about the loophole, while others may know and don't want to risk being an accessory.

Very few really know the entire story of how employees are compensated, but there could be extra incentives to move people to share everything and the new edge program. It has been clearly stated that Verizon, Costco, and Best Buy don't charge a penalty for switching Smartphones to lines they were not purchased on, but that doesn't mean it may not affect the store or the employee in a negative way. It may not, but it may not help them either.

Some will say, that is not my problem and it is is between them and Verizon/management. To a certain extent, I agree. I am the customer. However, if it does affect their compensation, I don't want to pour salt in their wounds by asking them to do something that their employer and managers may not want.

To me, it's just part of common courtesy. If I happen to be at a restaurant that has free wifi and I plan to be there awhile, I'll make it a point to order more than just a soda and probably leave a couple extra bucks for the barista or waitress. I don't have to and they probably wouldn't ask me to leave, but it just seems to me like the right thing to do.

I definitely had a good laugh when I spoke to a Verizon employee who told me freely over the phone that she used her unlimited data to stream XBox Live and tether to her laptop and knew why it was so valuable to people. However, I know she was the exception to the rule.

As of now, the unlimited data loophole can be performed entirely online by a party of one, without the need for phone or retail assistance from the employees. If you need assistance, ask any of the people who have already done it and or posted about it. When you ask the employees for assistance on keeping your unlimited data and getting the discounted phone, it would be akin to calling tech support for help to root your phone and uninstall "crap that I'll never use."

budmonster

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

my upgrades are a go on the 29th. i have the rezound and its like my 4th one, they keep sending my refurbished rezounds and they keep breaking. i tried my hardest to get a different phone of equal value and she wouldn't budge at all. do they ever do that for anyone?

well about keeping my unlimited data, from what I've read my options, are;
a. try the dummy line method, open up a new line, etc. but then I have to pay an extra $10 a month?
b. pay full price for new phones and pay $50/m for 12/ms? so that's around $100 added to my bill each month...
c. buy a used phone of craigslist, etc.
d. my contract is up in december, just switch to another carrier?

are these pretty much my only options to keep unlimited? if so, switching to tmo might not be a bad idea. i think i saw that $120 gets me 2 lines w/ unlimited talk, text and web, my verizon bill right now is around $180ish a month for 2 phones. what to what to do.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

my upgrades are a go on the 29th. i have the rezound and its like my 4th one, they keep sending my refurbished rezounds and they keep breaking. i tried my hardest to get a different phone of equal value and she wouldn't budge at all. do they ever do that for anyone?

well about keeping my unlimited data, from what I've read my options, are;
a. try the dummy line method, open up a new line, etc. but then I have to pay an extra $10 a month?
b. pay full price for new phones and pay $50/m for 12/ms? so that's around $100 added to my bill each month...
c. buy a used phone of craigslist, etc.
d. my contract is up in december, just switch to another carrier?

are these pretty much my only options to keep unlimited? if so, switching to tmo might not be a bad idea. i think i saw that $120 gets me 2 lines w/ unlimited talk, text and web, my verizon bill right now is around $180ish a month for 2 phones. what to what to do.

Yup, you pretty much nailed it. However, if you currently have other lines on your account that currently don't have unlimited data, they can serve as the dummy line.

BenjiMaxwell1

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site

Reporting a successful activation of a new phone on the unlimited plan. This was done on 8-23-2013 and the whole process completed that day.

Here's my Nationwide Talk and Text family plan:
Line A: Grandfathered unlimited plan on a 3G smartphone on a month to month basis.
Line E: Dumbphone with an upgrade available.

1. Went to veriozonwireless.com, logged on and upgraded the dumbphone to a 4G smartphone and completed the purchase for an in-store pickup because I really wanted a new phone ASAP
  1. Went over to Verizon store for a pick up. Rep goes "wow you are going from a basic phone to a 4G smartphone. That's a major upgrade!" I just laughed and said it was for another family member! So the rep activated the phone and it works and everything and I went home. At no point did I mention I wanted to switch phones or keep an unlimited plan. FYI, if you select in-store pick up, you have to activate the new phone at the store. Which is fine for me since that's one less step I have to do at home and guarantees that the new phone is working.
  1. Went home, logged on to Verizon did the switch device. But here's were I ran into a hiccup. When I selected to switch devices on the newly activated smartphone line (Line E), I got this message: "Our records indicate you recently purchased a device for this MDN but have not activated it yet. You have the option to proceed after you have activated your new device, or you may contact Customer Service at (800) 922-0204 for further assistance." My thoughts were "Oh great this is not going to work."

So i just went ahead and called that number and spoke to an actual rep. Told that rep I was having trouble switching phones online and that I wanted to go back to the dumbphone and the rep did not ask why. The rep actually just switched the phones while I was on the line with the rep for me and I can see that change on Verizonwireless.com
  1. So with the dumbphone back on in service ( I made sure that dumbphone worked and the new smartphone didn't have service) I went online again and selected the switch device option on Line A. There I selected new 4G smartphone as my new device from the drop down menu of previously used devices on the account. Hit next and got a popup saying something along the lines that the new device you selected is not compatible with your current plan and I was only able to hit next. Then I got to the Data option page and low and behold there was an option to select the 29.99 Unlimited Web and email plan or the 2GB for 30 plan and you can also select other plans too, but why wouldn't you select the Unlimited plan!!!
    Hit next and now it says that your new phone requires a SIM card. Keep in mind that I had a 3G phone so there were no SIM card. The only SIM card I have is the one from the new 4G phone. I could only hit continue. Then I got the option to have them send me a new SIM card or use a SIM card that I got. I selected the latter option because I was just going to use the SIM card from the new 4G phone and had to enter that # down online. Hit complete and it gave me confirmation page and everything seems fine. FYI, on the confirmation page it still says I have the unlimited plan. Went back to overview of my account and there it is, the new 4G phone on Line A and it still says Unlimited data with a month-to-month contract AND I still have an upgrade available on Line A!!!
  1. Then I went ahead to use my new 4G smartphone and here is the second hiccup. I couldn't place or receive any calls, text and data doesn't work. I said "Oh great here we go again" Even though on verizonwireless.com it shows that the new phone is associated with Line A it still didn't work but Line E with the dumbphone works like before.
    So the only option I had left was called that same number again when I had the MDN issue and see what they could do. Called them up explained to them that I was trying to switch devices on my family plan and now it doesn't work. Luckily I got a different rep and that rep was extremely nice and helpful. The rep did ask if I activated that 4G smartphone previously on another number from my plan and I said yes. Didn't ask any further questions why I was switching devices the same day I activated. The rep walked me through a couple of troubleshooters and we think it was probably a loose SIM card or that the system just needed time to update because during my call to the rep I was able to send and receive test calls and texts. Thanked the rep and everything was working fine!

As of today everything is working without a hiccup and enjoy that unlimited 4G speed! Thanks for everyone's help here and I will continue to contribute to this thread if there are any questions.

Last edited: