[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

fine014

May 22, 2015
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Thanks in advance for your advice! I inquired here a few months ago and was given some advice on the process, but I have since returned the crappy ip6's, so I'm checking in again just in case anything has changed with the upgrade process. Here's my current setup:

Line 1: UDP GS4 (upgrade available) Currently out of contract
Line 2: UDP GS4 (upgrade available) Currently out of contract
Line 3: Basic phone, no data (upgrade available) Currently out of contract

Currently have family share plan 1400 min, with a few added features...

I would like to upgrade both lines 1 and 2 to GS6's, and retain UDP on both lines...

Can someone please assist with the process here? I believe I'll be dealing with a sim card incompatibility issue, so I'd greatly appreciate guidance on that process as well. I would rather not cut my sim's unless there is some compelling reason to do so, i.e. $$ savings, etc.

It doesn't appear that BB has any discounts currently going for the GS6's right now, but I'm all ears if there is an approach that may result in getting a better deal. Bottom line though is that I'm trying to get this done before the 13th in case the subsidized option is gone as of that date.

Here's the process that was outlined for me last time (just ordering GS6's this time around):

1) Through Verizon online, order the iPhone Line 2 wants using Line 1's upgrade, picking the 2GB data plan for Line 1 and have it shipped to home;
2) After the first order is submitted, through Verizon online, order the iPhone Line 1 wants using Line 2's upgrade, picking the 2GB data plan for UDP Line 2 and have it shipped to home;
3) When the new smartphones arrive, do not turn them on, rather log onto Verizon online and click activate or switch a device;
4) Select Line 2 - it should ask you if you want to activate or verify the new device that was just shipped to you - you click "No, I want to activate a different device" or "Not activating my new device at this time, take me to the Activate or Switch Device page";
5) Select that you want to activate a device that has not been on your account before, type in the IMEI of the phone ordered for Line 2 (using Line 1's upgrade in Step 1) and the SIM card number of the SIM card that shipped with the phone and follow the directions to activate Line 2's new phone on Line 2;
6) Then click activate or switch a device, select Line 1 - it should ask you if you want to activate or verify the new device that was just shipped to you - you click "No, I want to activate a different device" or "Not activating my new device at this time, take me to the Activate or Switch Device page";
7) Select that you want to activate a device that has not been on your account before, type in the IMEI of the phone ordered for Line 1 (using Line 2's upgrade in Step 2) and the SIM card number of the SIM card that shipped with the phone and follow the directions to activate Line 1's new phone on Line 1.

Because you want two iPhone 6's, it is absolutely crucial that you keep the phones straight and do not activate them on the lines they were ordered on. I strongly recommend ordering different colors if possible.

Is this still the best process for me?

Thanks again - greatly appreciate the guidance!

macjazzy

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

I'm sorry to keep adding to this, But one clarification.

I notice that people you are telling to switch SIM cards, you say to do it immediately and not power or charge up the phone with SIM card the new phone ships with.

You are saing in my case to attempt to activate the new phone onto the UDP line when it arrives, without turning it on. During the activation won't it log in with the new SIM card and possibly kill my UDP?

Would it be better to do the SIM card cutting thing right away, or are there other things involved I am missing out on?

cheezmaker5

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site

Hey dusoccer10 - you gave me some suggestions a few weeks ago. I'd love to wait for the new iPhone 6s, but with the pending changes on August 13, I need to jump on an iPhone 6 64 GB, not lose UDP and still get a subsidized price.
Here is my situation:Verizon NATIONWIDE TLK&TXT SHARE 700
L1: TDP (2GB) iPhone 5c No (upgrade available 10/16/15)
L2: UDP iPhone 5s Yes
L3: Basic phone No (upgrade available 10/16/15)
$143.56 Before taxes
You had recommended transferring the upgrade from L2 to L1 through either BB or Verizon. I'd like to go the BB route since they are on sale right now. However, I am not seeing the option to transfer as others have mentioned. The only place I found the transfer option was through the Verizon iconic portal
Is there currently a way to transfer the upgrade through BB that I am not seeing?
Does anyone know what the current value is of Visa pre-paid gift cards when purchasing an iPhone 6 through the portal?

rcjr912

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site

Depends on the new phone you want and whether you want to order the phone from Best Buy or Verizon.

I would be fine ordering from best buy. I'll most likely get the iphone 6 or galaxy s6. Would i have a problem upgrading because im on a nationwide plan?

shortwave8669

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

I'm sorry to keep adding to this, But one clarification.

I notice that people you are telling to switch SIM cards, you say to do it immediately and not power or charge up the phone with SIM card the new phone ships with.

You are saing in my case to attempt to activate the new phone onto the UDP line when it arrives, without turning it on. During the activation won't it log in with the new SIM card and possibly kill my UDP?

Would it be better to do the SIM card cutting thing right away, or are there other things involved I am missing out on?

Correct.
1) do not power on the new device or attempt to charge it. Cut the old SIM to proceed.

2) insert old SIM into new device

3) power on new device

4) after boot up attempt to make a phone call to someone

5) if call goes through you have finished the activation.

shortwave8669

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

Just a note of thanks to dusoccer10 for all of his tireless and personalized help to so many people.

Given the flood of new users trying to beat the Aug 13 deadline pls understand you may not be able to get a personalized reply for your specific situation.

Since there are 400+ pgs of posts in this forum and no one can read and digest all of that info.

My advice to new users here is skip back about 10 or 20 pages and search forward for a similar scenario.

I can confirm if you have a single line with UDP and want to upgrade you do this:

1) purchase a device at BestBuy.com that is available for shipping home

2) when new device arrives DO NOT power it on or charge it

3) insert old SIM into the new device

4) power on new device and allow bootup to finish

5) make a phone call with the new device. If the call goes through you are done.

6) you will have a pending activation on your VZW acct for up to a month during which time you CANNOT make changes. But you can use your new device normally immediately. But after the pending activation disappears you are all set

macjazzy

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

I just tried to order a phone online at Verizon. It automatically switched my plan to the more everything plan. and it looked like it was killing my UDP, so when the chat window popped up asking if I wanted help, I asked why it was doing this.The person said don't worry when you get your new phone just call in and they will fix it. I told him I had UDP and didn't want to lose that. He replied, if I ordered a phone online I would definitely lose my UDP.. And gave me a number that I have to call to get this sorted out.

Has this happened to anyone else?

nbam915

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

Just confirming i would transfer my upgrade from line 2 to line 3 when phone gets here i do not activate it on line 3 as to not trigger the 2gb data plan rather activate it directly on line 2

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

I just tried to order a phone online at Verizon. It automatically switched my plan to the more everything plan. and it looked like it was killing my UDP, so when the chat window popped up asking if I wanted help, I asked why it was doing this.The person said don't worry when you get your new phone just call in and they will fix it. I told him I had UDP and didn't want to lose that. He replied, if I ordered a phone online I would definitely lose my UDP.. And gave me a number that I have to call to get this sorted out.

Has this happened to anyone else?

A couple of things:

1.) Did you transfer your upgrade to the basic line or did you just order on the unlimited line? If you are ordering a phone from Verizon, you must transfer the upgrade to the basic line! If you are ordering a phone from Best Buy, then you can use the upgrade on the unlimited line.

2.) Plan changes do not actually occur until you activate the new smartphone. So, even though the website seems to show you as your plan changing, it will not do so until you activate the shipped phone.

3.) Different methods are available to different people based on their overall plan and type of lines. Just follow the directions that I gave you as there are two back-up options that will work if the first one doesn't work.

4.) SIM cards can be reprogrammed to new lines and that is what you are trying to do. This is also why it is essential that you order the new phone on the basic line. In short, when you place the order on the basic line, the SIM is shipped to you with a tiered data plan for the basic line. You bypass this because you activate the phone directly onto the unlimited line. When you type in the IMEI and SIM numbers, you are telling Verizon's system to reprogram the SIM card to the unlimited data plan that is already on the line. Of course, this only works if you transferred the upgrade to the basic line!!!!

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Hey dusoccer10 - you gave me some suggestions a few weeks ago. I'd love to wait for the new iPhone 6s, but with the pending changes on August 13, I need to jump on an iPhone 6 64 GB, not lose UDP and still get a subsidized price.
Here is my situation:Verizon NATIONWIDE TLK&TXT SHARE 700
L1: TDP (2GB) iPhone 5c No (upgrade available 10/16/15)
L2: UDP iPhone 5s Yes
L3: Basic phone No (upgrade available 10/16/15)
$143.56 Before taxes
You had recommended transferring the upgrade from L2 to L1 through either BB or Verizon. I'd like to go the BB route since they are on sale right now. However, I am not seeing the option to transfer as others have mentioned. The only place I found the transfer option was through the Verizon iconic portal
Is there currently a way to transfer the upgrade through BB that I am not seeing?
Does anyone know what the current value is of Visa pre-paid gift cards when purchasing an iPhone 6 through the portal?

It seems that Best Buy is currently limiting the transferring of upgrades to other lines, so you might be stuck having to use Verizon. The old way of transferring upgrades through Best Buy was using the Cell Phone Upgrade Checker and typing in the number of the line you want to transfer to (in your case Line 1).

With that said, if you really want to order from Best Buy, you could do the original method:

1.) Using the upgrade on Line 2, order the iPhone 6 and have it shipped to home.
2.) When it arrives do not turn it on or try to charge it
3.) Remove the SIM card that comes with the iPhone 6 and destroy it
4.) Power off the 5s and remove its SIM card
5.) Take the SIM card from the 5s and put it in the 6. Power on the iPhone 6 and wait a few minutes for it to activate

This would activate the iPhone 6 on Line 2. You would have a pending activation on your account for about a month, so no plan changes during that time. However, if you can live with that, this method would work. You could try it and if you get an "error email" from Best Buy, you could then do the transfer upgrade through Verizon.

Finally, I wouldn't worry about the gift cards as buying the phone via subsides pricing is way more important. Receiving them has been very hit or miss.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

I would be fine ordering from best buy. I'll most likely get the iphone 6 or galaxy s6. Would i have a problem upgrading because im on a nationwide plan?

The whole purpose of these loopholes is to help people with Nationwide plans to upgrade. ;-)

Based on your plan and the phones you want, the question you need to ask yourself is how comfortable do you feel about selling a phone? If you can live with the S4 for a little bit longer, you could go this route:

1.) Through Best Buy, upgrade Line 2 to an iPhone 6+ and have it shipped to home
2.) When the phone arrives, remove the SIM and destroy it
3.) Sell the iPhone 6+ and save the cash towards a future phone (like the Note 5 or iPhone 6s)

You could do these steps twice using both of your upgrades and have more than enough cash to purchase a new phone at full price. If you did not want to go that route, then just do the following:

1.) Through Best Buy, upgrade Line 2 to either a iPhone 6 or Galaxy s6 and have it shipped to home
3.) Take the new phone to a VAR and have them activate it on Line 1.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Just confirming i would transfer my upgrade from line 2 to line 3 when phone gets here i do not activate it on line 3 as to not trigger the 2gb data plan rather activate it directly on line 2

Correct. When the G4 arrives, destroy the SIM that ships with the phone. You'll use the SIM in the G3 on Line 2 and put that into the new G4. This will bypass the data plan on Line 3 and automatically program the phone for the unlimited plan on Line 2.

macjazzy

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

I transferred the upgrade from the unlimited line to the dumb phone line. It then said I needed to add data to the dumb phone line. Which I expected. It did this last time. I added the basic 2gig plan to "my cart" then proceeded through all the screens of them trying to upsell me other stuff, when I got to check out it had changed my plan to a "more everything" plan. That was when the pop up chat window come up asking me if a I wanted help. That guy is the one who said I had to call in. He gave me a different number than the regular number on the Verizon website.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Thanks in advance for your advice! I inquired here a few months ago and was given some advice on the process, but I have since returned the crappy ip6's, so I'm checking in again just in case anything has changed with the upgrade process. Here's my current setup:

Line 1: UDP GS4 (upgrade available) Currently out of contract
Line 2: UDP GS4 (upgrade available) Currently out of contract
Line 3: Basic phone, no data (upgrade available) Currently out of contract

Currently have family share plan 1400 min, with a few added features...

I would like to upgrade both lines 1 and 2 to GS6's, and retain UDP on both lines...

Can someone please assist with the process here? I believe I'll be dealing with a sim card incompatibility issue, so I'd greatly appreciate guidance on that process as well. I would rather not cut my sim's unless there is some compelling reason to do so, i.e. $$ savings, etc.

It doesn't appear that BB has any discounts currently going for the GS6's right now, but I'm all ears if there is an approach that may result in getting a better deal. Bottom line though is that I'm trying to get this done before the 13th in case the subsidized option is gone as of that date.

Here's the process that was outlined for me last time (just ordering GS6's this time around):

1) Through Verizon online, order the iPhone Line 2 wants using Line 1's upgrade, picking the 2GB data plan for Line 1 and have it shipped to home;
2) After the first order is submitted, through Verizon online, order the iPhone Line 1 wants using Line 2's upgrade, picking the 2GB data plan for UDP Line 2 and have it shipped to home;
3) When the new smartphones arrive, do not turn them on, rather log onto Verizon online and click activate or switch a device;
4) Select Line 2 - it should ask you if you want to activate or verify the new device that was just shipped to you - you click "No, I want to activate a different device" or "Not activating my new device at this time, take me to the Activate or Switch Device page";
5) Select that you want to activate a device that has not been on your account before, type in the IMEI of the phone ordered for Line 2 (using Line 1's upgrade in Step 1) and the SIM card number of the SIM card that shipped with the phone and follow the directions to activate Line 2's new phone on Line 2;
6) Then click activate or switch a device, select Line 1 - it should ask you if you want to activate or verify the new device that was just shipped to you - you click "No, I want to activate a different device" or "Not activating my new device at this time, take me to the Activate or Switch Device page";
7) Select that you want to activate a device that has not been on your account before, type in the IMEI of the phone ordered for Line 1 (using Line 2's upgrade in Step 2) and the SIM card number of the SIM card that shipped with the phone and follow the directions to activate Line 1's new phone on Line 1.

Because you want two iPhone 6's, it is absolutely crucial that you keep the phones straight and do not activate them on the lines they were ordered on. I strongly recommend ordering different colors if possible.

Is this still the best process for me?

Thanks again - greatly appreciate the guidance!

How did you activate the iPhone 6s the last time? You should probably just follow those steps as there is no difference in ordering iPhones versus Galaxies.

fine014

May 22, 2015
Visit site

How did you activate the iPhone 6s the last time? You should probably just follow those steps as there is no difference in ordering iPhones versus Galaxies.

Thanks! I followed the process you outlined for me. It's been a few months so more or less confirming whether it works the same way now.

I will do this - thanks!

rcjr912

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site

The whole purpose of these loopholes is to help people with Nationwide plans to upgrade. ;-)

Based on your plan and the phones you want, the question you need to ask yourself is how comfortable do you feel about selling a phone? If you can live with the S4 for a little bit longer, you could go this route:

1.) Through Best Buy, upgrade Line 2 to an iPhone 6+ and have it shipped to home
3.) Sell the iPhone 6+ and save the cash towards a future phone (like the Note 5 or iPhone 6s)

You could do these steps twice using both of your upgrades and have more than enough cash to purchase a new phone at full price. If you did not want to go that route, then just do the following:

1.) Through Best Buy, upgrade Line 2 to either a iPhone 6 or Galaxy s6 and have it shipped to home
3.) Take the new phone to a VAR and have them activate it on Line 1.

I might just go the route of selling the two upgrades, i didn't even think of that! I'm entirely fine waiting a bit for the upcoming releases. Thanks again dusoccer, i greatly appreciate the help!

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

I transferred the upgrade from the unlimited line to the dumb phone line. It then said I needed to add data to the dumb phone line. Which I expected. It did this last time. I added the basic 2gig plan to "my cart" then proceeded through all the screens of them trying to upsell me other stuff, when I got to check out it had changed my plan to a "more everything" plan. That was when the pop up chat window come up asking me if a I wanted help. That guy is the one who said I had to call in. He gave me a different number than the regular number on the Verizon website.

That is odd. Unfortunately, you cannot call in Verizon as they will not fix it. Have you tried ordering through the Iconic Portal (https://preorder.verizonwireless.com/iconic/)

macjazzy

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

I was unaware of the iconic portal, but when I just clicked on your link I got a verizon message of page not available.

replica9000

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site

I haven't been keeping up with this topic, so sorry if this has been mentioned. I heard VZW is doing away with subsidiary prices and family plans on the 13th. Sounds like soon we won't need to jump through hoops to keep unlimited since we'll be paying full price for phones anyway.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick