[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

cruzmike89

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

You have two options before the 13th:

Best Buy Method
1.) Order the phone you want using the upgrade on Line 1 and have it shipped to home
2.) When it arrives, remove the SIM that ships with the new phone and destroy it
3.) Power off the iPhone 5 and remove its SIM.
4.) Take the SIM from the iPhone 5, put it in the new phone, and power on the new phone

Transfer upgrade through Verizon
1.) Through Verizon online, transfer the upgrade from Line 1 to Line 2. Order the new phone you want have it shipped to home
2.) When the new phone arrives, follow the directions that come with it to activate the phone on Line 2
3.) Wait an hour and make sure the new phone works
4.) Power off the new phone and reactivate the S6 edge. Power on the S6 edge
5.) Power off the iPhone 5 and activate the new phone on Line 1. Power on the new phone.

Those are your two methods. The transfer method will definitely get the phone to you in 2 days. Best Buy can cause some shipping problems, but it works for a lot of people.

Thanks I went with the the 2nd option but through best buy. The phone gets here tomorrow according to them. I'll post my results tomorrow night. I'll be using option 1 to help my mom get her phone once mine gets here.

cheezmaker5

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site

It seems that Best Buy is currently limiting the transferring of upgrades to other lines, so you might be stuck having to use Verizon. The old way of transferring upgrades through Best Buy was using the Cell Phone Upgrade Checker and typing in the number of the line you want to transfer to (in your case Line 1).

With that said, if you really want to order from Best Buy, you could do the original method:

1.) Using the upgrade on Line 2, order the iPhone 6 and have it shipped to home.
2.) When it arrives do not turn it on or try to charge it
3.) Remove the SIM card that comes with the iPhone 6 and destroy it
4.) Power off the 5s and remove its SIM card
5.) Take the SIM card from the 5s and put it in the 6. Power on the iPhone 6 and wait a few minutes for it to activate

This would activate the iPhone 6 on Line 2. You would have a pending activation on your account for about a month, so no plan changes during that time. However, if you can live with that, this method would work. You could try it and if you get an "error email" from Best Buy, you could then do the transfer upgrade through Verizon.

Finally, I wouldn't worry about the gift cards as buying the phone via subsides pricing is way more important. Receiving them has been very hit or miss.

I am starting to wonder if having a pending activation on my order for $100 savings on a phone using the Best Buy method is worth it especially as we wait for what our options will be after 8/13.
Ultimately I want to wait to get a subsidized iPhone 6s, but it is unclear if that will be available to us. I am starting to think a clean transfer of upgrade through the Verizon iconic portal is the way to go. It gets me a subsidized phone without a pending activation. Locks me into ULD package for at least 2 more years. Gives me the option of returning the device within 2 weeks if 2 year contracts are still available for those of us with Nationwide plans.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

I haven't been keeping up with this topic, so sorry if this has been mentioned. I heard VZW is doing away with subsidiary prices and family plans on the 13th. Sounds like soon we won't need to jump through hoops to keep unlimited since we'll be paying full price for phones anyway.

You are correct and that's why a lot of people are using the loopholes this week before the changes occur.

shortwave8669

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I just tried to order a phone online at Verizon. It automatically switched my plan to the more everything plan. and it looked like it was killing my UDP, so when the chat window popped up asking if I wanted help, I asked why it was doing this.The person said don't worry when you get your new phone just call in and they will fix it. I told him I had UDP and didn't want to lose that. He replied, if I ordered a phone online I would definitely lose my UDP.. And gave me a number that I have to call to get this sorted out.

Has this happened to anyone else?

DUSOCCER10 already replied disregard. Sorry

Comment deleted

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

I am starting to wonder if having a pending activation on my order for $100 savings on a phone using the Best Buy method is worth it especially as we wait for what our options will be after 8/13.
Ultimately I want to wait to get a subsidized iPhone 6s, but it is unclear if that will be available to us. I am starting to think a clean transfer of upgrade through the Verizon iconic portal is the way to go. It gets me a subsidized phone without a pending activation. Locks me into ULD package for at least 2 more years. Gives me the option of returning the device within 2 weeks if 2 year contracts are still available for those of us with Nationwide plans.

It's definitely the cleaner way to go. The other thing you could do is upgrade now, but sell the phone and save the cash for a full price purchase later.

cheezmaker5

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site

It's definitely the cleaner way to go. The other thing you could do is upgrade now, but sell the phone and save the cash for a full price purchase later.
Selling and saving the cash is an option I haven't considered much. Any advice on how that transaction would work? What can I charge? Is the phone free and clear of any obligations?
I assume the first step would be to avoid a pending activation by upgrading through the Verizon iconic portal.
Next step?

macjazzy

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

Thanks for everyone's help, especially dusoccer10. I found the iconic portal. It allowed me to trade upgrade from UPD line to the dumbphone line I have. I added the basic 2gig plan for that phone like it asked me, and in the end it left my family share talk and text plan alone.

So when it arrives I will follow the directions you guys have already given to activate it on my UDP line without letting it start up on my second line.

So now that Verizon has killed the subsidized upgrades. Is it ok for me to lose my second line? I will wait a month or so , so that this swapperoo isn't effected. But the only reason I was keeping this second phone was to to the 2 year upgrades. The flip phone has never had a call placed on it. It sits in a drawer.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

@cheezmaker5

Sell it on Ebay or Swappa, both are reputable and you would just have to do a little research to get a good price.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for everyone's help, especially dusoccer10. I found the iconic portal. It allowed me to trade upgrade from UPD line to the dumbphone line I have. I added the basic 2gig plan for that phone like it asked me, and in the end it left my family share talk and text plan alone.

So when it arrives I will follow the directions you guys have already given to activate it on my UDP line without letting it start up on my second line.

So now that Verizon has killed the subsidized upgrades. Is it ok for me to lose my second line? I will wait a month or so , so that this swapperoo isn't effected. But the only reason I was keeping this second phone was to to the 2 year upgrades. The flip phone has never had a call placed on it. It sits in a drawer.

You can only cancel this line if you don't have it under contract or you will have to pay and fee. IE. did you use the upgrade that comes with this line.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

OK we are doing the transfer upgrade online method.

Line 1 unlimited
Line 2 2 GB data

According to instructions I transferred line 1 upgrade to line 2, then ordered a Droid turbo on line 2. This part is complete

Next part says not to use the sim that comes with new phone, use the sim currently on line 2 for hour or so, then just pop in sim from line one to the new phone and put line 2 original sin back in, destroy the sim from the new phone.

Problem.. The new phone is nano sim, line 2 is a micro sim.. How do we do the last part with different sim cards?

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

AZGrown

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site

You could definitely go that route.
I ordered the iPhone 6 using my daughter's TDP line upgrade on Best Buy, $100 cheaper. She will most likely be getting this phone at the end of the month as a birthday gift. No problems holding out on activation, right?

Is it OK, to order a phone on Best Buy now, using my UDP phone upgrade?
Then just destroy SIM card when it arrives and never actually activate or turn on the phone?
My UDP line will still be under 2 year contract, because I used it to get the phone, even though I never activate?

Thanks!
Trying to sort all of this out correctly, before Thursday.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site

Don't you lose UDP if you activate the phone on the main line? I think you activate the device on the tiered line, wait an hour, then pop your udp sim in the new device.

I myself transferred another upgrade to the same line I used last week. I ordered an another S6. I'm thinking I'll activate on the tiered line, wait an hour or 2, then swap te device to my udp line.

Can bypass this step and insert the udp sim? Thanks again.

As an FYI, Best Buy is offering the LG G4 for $99 on contract. That's a great deal.

macjazzy

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

You can only cancel this line if you don't have it under contract or you will have to pay and fee. IE. did you use the upgrade that comes with this line.

I transferred an upgrade from my HTC to my flip phone to be able to get one last upgrade in before the subsidies end. So i guess the contract is on the flip phone now. OK, well it can sit in the drawer for 2 more years. Hell by then flip phones might be so old they will become collectibles! hahah

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site

I transferred an upgrade from my HTC to my flip phone to be able to get one last upgrade in before the subsidies end. So i guess the contract is on the flip phone now. OK, well it can sit in the drawer for 2 more years. Hell by then flip phones might be so old they will become collectibles! hahah

I believe after you put the flip phone back on the 2nd line, you can cancel the data plan or that line.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Selling and saving the cash is an option I haven't considered much. Any advice on how that transaction would work? What can I charge? Is the phone free and clear of any obligations?
I assume the first step would be to avoid a pending activation by upgrading through the Verizon iconic portal.
Next step?

Take a look at prices that mint iPhones can fetch on the market through Swappa or Ebay.

As for the actual selling, I would definitely wipe out the pending activation first and just explain to the buyer that you opened the iPhone to remove its SIM.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, since you used the upgrade, you are stuck with the basic line for 2 more years or you could pay its ETF. I wouldn't recommend paying the ETF as that will be $350 (parts of Verizon will see the smartphone upgrade just not billing). If you really want to get rid of the basic line, you need to cancel your order, get your upgrade back, and use the upgrade through Best Buy.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

OK we are doing the transfer upgrade online method.

Line 1 unlimited
Line 2 2 GB data

According to instructions I transferred line 1 upgrade to line 2, then ordered a Droid turbo on line 2. This part is complete

Next part says not to use the sim that comes with new phone, use the sim currently on line 2 for hour or so, then just pop in sim from line one to the new phone and put line 2 original sin back in, destroy the sim from the new phone.

Problem.. The new phone is nano sim, line 2 is a micro sim.. How do we do the last part with different sim cards?

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

That's because your directions are a little off. Just do the following:

1.) When the Turbo arrives, just follow the activation instructions that come with the phone. You'll activate the Turbo with the nano SIM.
2.) Wait an hour and make sure the Turbo works fine.
3.) Assuming it works, you'll log into Verizon and reactivate the old phone that was on Line 2. This will deactivate the Turbo.
4.) Once you have the old phone on Line 2 working again, move the Turbo onto Line 1. If Line 1 has a nano SIM, just use that SIM to activate the Turbo. If they are mismatched, take the Turbo to a VAR for activation.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

I ordered the iPhone 6 using my daughter's TDP line upgrade on Best Buy, $100 cheaper. She will most likely be getting this phone at the end of the month as a birthday gift. No problems holding out on activation, right?

Is it OK, to order a phone on Best Buy now, using my UDP phone upgrade?
Then just destroy SIM card when it arrives and never actually activate or turn on the phone?
My UDP line will still be under 2 year contract, because I used it to get the phone, even though I never activate?

Thanks!
Trying to sort all of this out correctly, before Thursday.

With your daughter that should be fine.

With the unlimited upgrade, that is the way to do it.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

I believe after you put the flip phone back on the 2nd line, you can cancel the data plan or that line.

That's not quite correct. You can't activate a smartphone on the basic line and then put the basic phone back on. This gets you stuck with data plan on the basic line.

When you use a basic line upgrade, you just activate the phone directly onto the unlimited line and do not touch the basic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick