[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

Eduard Ivashchuk

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Hello, I have been reading through the thread for quite some time now. I have read the original post, and was hoping to get some advice if at all possible. Heres what I have:

L1 UDP Galaxy Note 4 Yes (Upgrade Ready)
L2 UDP Galaxy Note 4 Yes (Upgrade Ready)
L3 basic plan old LG dumb phone Yes (Upgrade Ready)

I am considering booting the L3 alltogether and just keeping Lines 1 and 2. As you have heard, Verizon will be charging $20/line for unlimited. I was going to try to use the upgrades to renew the contract, and keep it at $29.99. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking FAM, but would like your advise.

Thanks

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
All the other lines show their contract end dates on that page.

Mine says the same thing on that page now as well. On the previous page there's a tab you can click on that will actually say your contract end date. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Unfortunately mine still says month to month. I really hope this changes but I'm not optimistic at this point. We'll see after I activate the phone, that is if I ever get it. Apparently that next day shipping doesn't apply if you're using moto maker. Didn't realize this.

Last edited:

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

Mine says the same thing on that page now as well. On the previous page there's a tab you can click on that will actually say your contract end date. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Unfortunately mine still says month to month. I really hope this changes but I'm not optimistic at this point. We'll see after I activate the phone, that is if I ever get it. Apparently that next day shipping doesn't apply if you're using moto maker. Did realize this.
Actually, I'm not sure what you are talking about. During the log in, I click on My Devices/Upgrade Device and it takes me right to that page. I'm not sure where else to find contract end dates.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

Going back to the Best Buy purchase idea...

I am not on contract and have udp. The BB website lets me order at $249, +$35 upgrade fee, then lets me continue to checkout and says '2 year contract extension'. Extension of what? Do they know my current non-contract plan,(900 minutes + $10 for 1000 texts) and will it avoid the $20 increase if I am nit7 currently under contract?

Posted via the Android Central App

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Hello, I have been reading through the thread for quite some time now. I have read the original post, and was hoping to get some advice if at all possible. Heres what I have:

L1 UDP Galaxy Note 4 Yes (Upgrade Ready)
L2 UDP Galaxy Note 4 Yes (Upgrade Ready)
L3 basic plan old LG dumb phone Yes (Upgrade Ready)

I am considering booting the L3 alltogether and just keeping Lines 1 and 2. As you have heard, Verizon will be charging $20/line for unlimited. I was going to try to use the upgrades to renew the contract, and keep it at $29.99. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking FAM, but would like your advise.

Thanks

FAM or the basic Best Buy method would work fine.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Going back to the Best Buy purchase idea...

I am not on contract and have udp. The BB website lets me order at $249, +$35 upgrade fee, then lets me continue to checkout and says '2 year contract extension'. Extension of what? Do they know my current non-contract plan,(900 minutes + $10 for 1000 texts) and will it avoid the $20 increase if I am nit7 currently under contract?

In theory, it is a two year extension of your current plan (900 minutes + 1000 text) with a change of data from unlimited to tiered. Of course, the last part doesn't happen because you use your old SIM to activate the phone rather than the new one that ships with it. Once the phone ships to you, your contract will be extended and this will allow you to dodge the $20 increase as long as you do not activate the new SIM.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Hi all, single line UDPer here.

Any input why I can't ship Droid Turbo 2 to home? Only lets me do Store Pick Up.

Thanks

Best Buy never ships brand new phones to home. They can only be received in-store. It usually takes about a month.

If you really wanted a Turbo 2, your best bet is to use your upgrade and order an iPhone. Then sell it and use that money to buy a Turbo 2 outright.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

Once the phone ships to you, your contract will be extended and this will allow you to dodge the $20 increase as long as you do not activate the new SIM.

That's the thing, I am not under any contract at the moment. Previuos post said that in this case the $20 per month increase might still catch me

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

That's the thing, I am not under any contract at the moment. Previuos post said that in this case the $20 per month increase might still catch me

Correct. If you do not use your upgrade, your plan will increase $20 a month for every unlimited line you have. If you use your upgrade, you'll dodge the $20 a month upgrade per line for two years. This would save you $480 over two years for every unlimited line you have in your plan.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Correct. If you do not use your upgrade, your plan will increase $20 a month for every unlimited line you have. If you use your upgrade, you'll dodge the $20 a month upgrade per line for two years. This would save you $480 over two years for every unlimited line you have in your plan.

I meant that if I am not under contract, & I use the upgrade with Best Buy, would they still catch me for the $20 additional

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

Or, how about this. I don't need unlimited data. So if I choose to one of their monthly plans with 6 or 12 gig, ( which would be the same or less than I am paying now) then purchase the best buy phone with a 2 year contract extension ?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Has anybody ever gotten in trouble with VZW or BB for doing this? If we don't use BB sim do they lose money on this transaction?

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Also, you know how with Verizon when you're under contract you can still change your plan specifics each month. Can you do the same if I'm with a best buy 2 year contract? For example, let's say with Verizon I choose their 12 gig a month plan, they will always let me change to their six gig a month plan, and with them there's no contract. I don't mind going under contract with Best Buy, but was hoping I could also change from one data plan to another.

Obviously I could ask Best Buy, but we all know how that goes.

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site

Excellent. Now the only issue is what phone, Im not really interested in anything other than the new Nexus phones and the non-VZW Motos....

The Best Buy Method works fine for a single line plan. Just upgrade online, have the phone ship to home, remove and destroy the SIM that ships with the new phone, and activate with the SIM in your old phone.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Your contract is with vzw not BB however when you call VZW about almost anything they might be curious how you got a brand new 2 year udp plan. I don't know if they would hassle you about it but they can do anything they want. They could simple bounce you to 2 gb plan and say your upgrade changed your plan. Will they? Your guess is as good as mine. That is why I am so nervous about doing this. I'd love a new note 5 for $350 but I do not what BB filing charges or adding $450 to my charge card and I don't want vzw to get an itch and bounce me out of udp. Chicken it is I am.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Your contract is with vzw not BB however when you call VZW about almost anything they might be curious how you got a brand new 2 year udp plan. I don't know if they would hassle you about it but they can do anything they want. They could simple bounce you to 2 gb plan and say your upgrade changed your plan. Will they? Your guess is as good as mine. That is why I am so nervous about doing this. I'd love a new note 5 for $350 but I do not what BB filing charges or adding $450 to my charge card and I don't want vzw to get an itch and bounce me out of udp. Chicken it is I am.

The only time something has happened to cause the losing of unlimited is if a person did not follow the steps exactly or got Verizon involved when instructed not to do so. In other words, the mistakes have always been user error.

Here's the thing...this thread has over 10,000 comments with probably hundreds if not thousands of success stories going back to 2012. The slickdeals thread (Verizon - How to Use a Subsidized Upgrade and Keep Your Unlimited Data Plan Or Avoid A 2 year Data Plan on a Nationwide Basic Line - Slickdeals.net) has another 13,000 comments with the same amount of success stories. There is no reason to be chicken.

Further, you are looking to move your upgrade to a tiered line. This is ALLOWED and mentioned on Verizon's FAQ about upgrading (Upgrade Device FAQs | Verizon Wireless see number 6). Just upgrade already!

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

You make excellent points I must admit. Can I still return new phone to BB store if bluetooth doesn't work properly or whatever or do I have to seek an rma from bb website?

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

You make excellent points I must admit. Can I still return new phone to BB store if bluetooth doesn't work properly or whatever or do I have to seek an rma from bb website?

You can return it if necessary. You'll just need to move back to the tiered line first.

GTiceman

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site

To everyone suggesting the transfer to a tiered line, remember this does not lock in UDP or the price. You must use the line's upgrade to reset the contract date. I have tried the BBY method 2x in two week on my two UDP lines with no issue. I have another friend who did BBY method. Last year I did the upgrade transfer method and no problem, but it DOES NOT lock you into a contract. Remember folks being on a contract is safer as if you are M2M VZW can increase your price for UDP, which they are doing this month, or can cancel it at any time.