[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Hey all, I currently have a note 3 and I'm wanting to finally upgrade. I do have an UDP within my families plan. It seems that I have two options, I can either upgrade a line thats on the currently on the plan(not the udp line) and before I activate the phone, put my note 3 sim card in. Second option would just to be paying full price for a phone off the internet and just sticking my sim card in. Am I wrong on any of these 2? I love my note 3 but its just about time for me to keep it as a backup.
You would be fine so long as the subsidized upgrade isn't coming from the UDP line

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site

You would need to wait until July 25th to use your subsidized upgrade, which would require a new 2 year service contract. This is what will keep your udp at the $29.99 rate so long as it is completed before the end of your first billing cycle on or after 7/25.

This wasn't directed at me, but it answers a precise question I have. My UDP contract expires in November 2016. In November 2014 I upgraded to an iPhone 6 (latest version at the time), destroyed the SIM card, and sold the phone because I wanted the Nexus 6.

When the time for the upgrade comes in a few months, I'll see what's currently working. The question I had was about the possibility of avoiding the $20 price increase. This question was answered here very clearly. Thank you! I plan to upgrade on the day the upgrade becomes available.

The phone I'm currently thinking about getting is the unlocked S7 Edge. My wife has an S6 Edge and I'm jealous of her Samsung Pay. I've been using Nexus devices for the last several years, and Samsung Pay is the only feature currently that could draw me away from Nexus. However, I've still got 4 months to wait, so I'll see what's up by then. Two new Nexus devices, and maybe even a Google phone... Who knows? :D

djminneapolis

Jul 12, 2016
Visit site

I am in an interesting situation. This is my story:

I have an unlimited data Verizon wireless mobile data USB device. I got this device a very long time ago. I never upgraded the device to a 4G device which, unlike my 3G device, requires a sim card. I do not have any other lines on this account. I would like to get my unlimited data into a 4G MiFi device so I do not have to plug it into my computer every time and so multiple devices can use the unlimited data at the same time. Is there any way possible to do this? So far every single Verizon rep has told me no and every single person I have spoken to says I cannot do such a thing. Also, a rep told me, if my device were to ever break, I would not be able to put the unlimited device into another 3g device. I would lose my unlimited data that way as well. Can anyone possibly help me???? Thank you for your help in advance!!!

yeahizme

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Ok, so if you have an unlim data plan already and have never upgraded, I think you could upgrade to new usb device using their device data plan and still keep your unlim data plan. They will give you a new sim too. I'm sure others will comment on your situation and maybe give you better advice.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

If it was a 3g unlimited mifi plan then unfortunately those won't migrate to 4GLTE unlimited. Only 3g unlimited smartphone plans migrated to 4GLTE unlimited smartphone data.

yeahizme

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Interesting .....so he'll have to stay with 3G forever if he wants to keep unlim?? Learned something new today ....

DukeCA

Jul 12, 2016
Visit site

Hi, looking for help too. Want to get a new S7. Reading various sites it seems no issue ordering 2 year contract priced phone and keeping UDP but will pay + 20/month more for UDP for every line with UPD after contact expires. So if we decided we are ok to pay 20/month more to keep UDP than just order a new phone plain and simple from VZW online or is there a way to save the +20/month or too late for the lines that are out of contract?

5 lines:
Line 1 Galaxy S6 UDP In Contract until April 2017
Line 2 HTC One UDP out of Contract
Line 3 iPhone 5s UDP out of contract
Line 4 Galaxy S4 UDP mini out of contract
Line 5 TDB 2GB In Contract until Sep 2016

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Hi, looking for help too. Want to get a new S7. Reading various sites it seems no issue ordering 2 year contract priced phone and keeping UDP but will pay + 20/month more for UDP for every line with UPD after contact expires. So if we decided we are ok to pay 20/month more to keep UDP than just order a new phone plain and simple from VZW online or is there a way to save the +20/month or too late for the lines that are out of contract?

5 lines:

Do any of your out of contract UDP lines currently have the $20 increase?

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

5 lines:
You would need to transfer the UDP upgrade to the tdp line and never put it on the line in which the UDP upgrade originated from.

With regards to the $20 additional cost, you would need to do a subsidized upgrade before the end of the cycle in which the contract ended on the UDP line to keep the $29.99 4

DukeCA

Jul 12, 2016
Visit site

Do any of your out of contract UDP lines currently have the $20 increase?

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

VZW.JPG

3 lines went up for upgraded on Feb 2016 but from above image you can see as of last bill, no increase. But it looks like the increase is coming in next bill cycle which closed on the 10 but will post on July 16. Too late? I also get 20% discount so it looks like it's about $15 per line when it will kick in.

dnadroid

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site

I have a htc Dna with unlimited data. My wife has an iPhone with tiered plan and is up for an upgrade. I want to get a Samsung s7. How can do this without paying full retail. FYI, the SIM cards are incompatible.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

View attachment 232044

3 lines went up for upgraded on Feb 2016 but from above image you can see as of last bill, no increase. But it looks like the increase is coming in next bill cycle which closed on the 10 but will post on July 16. Too late? I also get 20% discount so it looks like it's about $15 per line when it will kick in.
I would try to get it on contract as soon as possible. No guarantees but on contract is safer to avoid the price increase. Also there is another rumored unlimited data sweep coming August 21st affecting lines not on contract... So if I were you then I would get them on contract asap

yeahizme

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

You can still get the s7....upgrade your wife's line to the s7. When Verizon sends you the s7, don't turn it on (bc a new sim will be in the phone already). Take the sim out the new phone and destroy it. Take the sim from your DNA and have it cut down and put that cut down sim into the s7. Your wife will keep her iPhone with everything working and you will have a new phone with everything the same from the DNA...you can buy a sim cutter online.

GoddessV

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site

You can still get the s7....upgrade your wife's line to the s7. When Verizon sends you the s7, don't turn it on (bc a new sim will be in the phone already). Take the sim out the new phone and destroy it. Take the sim from your DNA and have it cut down and put that cut down sim into the s7. Your wife will keep her iPhone with everything working and you will have a new phone with everything the same from the DNA...you can buy a sim cutter online.

I've destroyed the sim that came with the new Galaxy S7 Edge ordered on my husband's UDP line. I am going to insert my old Galaxy S5 sim (cut down), from my UDP line, into the brand new S7 Edge & turn it on.....
Do I need to follow set-up instructions on the phone, or set phone up as a wifi like I read somewhere else? I'm uncertain if the set-up process matters. I appreciate advice! Thank you!

DukeCA

Jul 12, 2016
Visit site

I would try to get it on contract as soon as possible. No guarantees but on contract is safer to avoid the price increase. Also there is another rumored unlimited data sweep coming August 21st affecting lines not on contract... So if I were you then I would get them on contract asap

Does it matter, for example, if I order S7 using Line 4 upgrade (Galaxy S4 UDP mini out of contract). When S7 comes I activate it on Line 4 or do I need to do anything with SIM in S7. Or activating on S7 with new S7 sim will put me on the new +$20 contract but if I use old S4 mini SIM in new S& I will go back on contract and not get the +$20?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Does it matter, for example, if I order S7 using Line 4 upgrade (Galaxy S4 UDP mini out of contract). When S7 comes I activate it on Line 4 or do I need to do anything with SIM in S7. Or activating on S7 with new S7 sim will put me on the new +$20 contract but if I use old S4 mini SIM in new S& I will go back on contract and not get the +$20?

Transfer the upgrade from line 4(udp) to line 5 (tdp) and never put that phone on line 4 or you will lose udp.

This should put you under contract on the old rate , assuming that that is what you are paying now

yeahizme

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

You would set the phone up as normal ....since he's going from one Android phone to another, much of his information from the DNA will transfer over. All of his apps will be in the Google play store and all he has to do is go and start the process of downloading those apps...the whole process of setting the s7 up should be very painless and simple....let me know how it goes :)

AIR-11

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site

Has anyone been locked out of transferring their upgrade from a UDP to a TDP line?

I went online yesterday, transferred my upgrade from UDP line to a TDP line and completed ordering the upgrade online. Everything went through fine, then about an hour later we got an email saying this:

"Dear Valued Customer,

We appreciate your interest in Verizon Wireless products and services, and we look forward to serving your wireless needs.

Your order is currently on hold as additional information is required to complete your order. Your credit card has not been charged. Your order will remain open for up to 7 days from the date we received the order.

Please contact the Credit and Order Review Team at 866-338-7390. We will hold your order for 7 days from today's date."

So, I called them and the lady was very vague, but basically said the "pop" didn't go through or something like that and the upgrade wasn't coming through correctly, so she said she would cancel it all out and then I could go back in and redo the upgrade like before.

I went in today to do the upgrade and now it's locked the TDP so that I can't transfer the upgrade to that line, here's what it looks like:

Capture.PNG

When I click on "Transfer Upgrade to Another Line" it only gives me the option of the other two lines and not the TDP line.

Anyone run into this scenario? Is this something new Verizon is doing now to block us from transferring the upgrades to the TDP line and doing the upgrades through that line?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    21.1 KB · Views: 18