[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Officially, the answer is no. But you can transfer the upgrade from line 3 to line 4 online. Just never put that phone on line 3 or you will lose udp

bunklung

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

Only thing you can do is buy a phone without using your upgrade. Use the upgrade for a phone (for you) and you lose the UDP.

You can use the upgrade to order a phone and then sell it for cash. But if you ever activate that phone on your line the UDP will be over.

I have a single line account. The line has unlimited data. I have an upgrade available. Do I have to change my phone number when I order this from Best Buy. I think Slickdeals calls it the Best Buy Sell Method.

I performed all the steps on Best Buy online, but the final step had some fine print I did not like that indicated my plan might change to 2GB. Is everyone seeing this message? Can this be ignored, because I have no intention of activating the new phone AND have every intention to destroy the NEW SIM card?

Has anyone done this method recently? Will I retain my lower rate as I am M2M right now? My price increase is slated for August 27.

Last edited:

AIR-11

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site

Officially, the answer is no. But you can transfer the upgrade from line 3 to line 4 online. Just never put that phone on line 3 or you will lose udp

So do this?:

1. Transfer upgrade from line 3 to line 4 online.
2. Order the new phone
3. When it arrives in the mail activate with the SIM card that comes with the new phone? Or do I need to do something different at this point? (the current phone on that line is an iPhone 4s, so has the micro SIM. Not sure if I need to cut this one down and put in the new phone)

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

I have a single line account. The line has unlimited data. I have an upgrade available. Do I have to change my phone number when I order this from Best Buy. I think Slickdeals calls it the Best Buy Sell Method.

I performed all the steps on Best Buy online, but the final step had some fine print I did not like that indicated my plan might change to 2GB. Is everyone seeing this message? Can this be ignored, because I have no intention of activating the new phone AND have every intention to destroy the NEW SIM card?

Has anyone done this method recently? Will I retain my lower rate as I am M2M right now? My price increase is slated for August 27.

If you have only one line there is no way I know of to upgrade and keep your UDP. Unless you just upgrade and still the phone without ever using it.

bunklung

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

If you have only one line there is no way I know of to upgrade and keep your UDP. Unless you just upgrade and still the phone without ever using it.

Well, I plan on never using the new phone. I want to destroy the new SIM and sell the new phone. Do you know of people using this method?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

So do this?:

1. Transfer upgrade from line 3 to line 4 online.
2. Order the new phone
3. When it arrives in the mail activate with the SIM card that comes with the new phone? Or do I need to do something different at this point? (the current phone on that line is an iPhone 4s, so has the micro SIM. Not sure if I need to cut this one down and put in the new phone)

Use the sim that came with the phone.

AIR-11

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site

Use the sim that came with the phone.

Went to transfer my upgrade to the other line and got this warning message:

"If your transferring line has discounted or reduced service pricing because the line is on month-to-month service, the discount/reduced pricing will be removed after this transaction is complete and your line access will be $40 per month."

Any idea what this is and will this affect my current price I pay on my UDP line that I'm transferring the upgrade from? They already increased the price by $20 back in Nov. on my UDP line, so hoping this won't apply to my line.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Went to transfer my upgrade to the other line and got this warning message:

"If your transferring line has discounted or reduced service pricing because the line is on month-to-month service, the discount/reduced pricing will be removed after this transaction is complete and your line access will be $40 per month."

Any idea what this is and will this affect my current price I pay on my UDP line that I'm transferring the upgrade from? They already increased the price by $20 back in Nov. on my UDP line, so hoping this won't apply to my line.
This is only for TVP.

Tuningfreak

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site

Here's my dilema...

Line 1- UDP, contract and upgrade eligible on 7/25/16
Line 2- TDP, contract and upgrade eligible on 2/25/17
Line 3- TDP, contract and upgrade eligible on 6/25/17
Line 4- TDP, contract and upgrade eligible on 6/28/17

In the past, I had transferred my UDP upgrade to another TDP line and when the new phone arrived simply discarded the SIM card that came with it, inserted my existing UDP SIM card into the new phone and activated the phone extending my contract and keeping my UDP.

That method no longer works?

I want to upgrade the UDP phone, extend my contract, and avoud the $20/month fee for the UDP. How can I accomplish all that?
So I previousely posed this question and was told to upgrade Line 4 and keep my UDP.

Im not sure how I can upgrade Line 4 which is not elligible and keep my UDP that is on Line 1.

If I purchase a new phone thru Verizon at full price for Line 1 before my contract expires, does that extend my contract 2 years at my current rate without adding the $20 data fee they instituted in November?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

So I previousely posed this question and was told to upgrade Line 4 and keep my UDP.

Im not sure how I can upgrade Line 4 which is not elligible and keep my UDP that is on Line 1.

If I purchase a new phone thru Verizon at full price for Line 1 before my contract expires, does that extend my contract 2 years at my current rate without adding the $20 data fee they instituted in November?
You need to transfer the upgrade from line 1 to line 4,then activate on the sim that came with it and NEVER put the phone on line 1(or you will lose udp) . You can also sell the phone. You would need to finalize the upgrade BEFORE the end of the billing cycle to keep the $29.99 rate.

If your billing cycle is close to the date then you can call Verizon and change the billing cycle end date.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Well, I plan on never using the new phone. I want to destroy the new SIM and sell the new phone. Do you know of people using this method?

Yes, as long as you never activate the new phone on that line you will be fine.

Tuningfreak

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site

You need to transfer the upgrade from line 1 to line 4,then activate on the sim that came with it and NEVER put the phone on line 1(or you will lose udp) . You can also sell the phone. You would need to finalize the upgrade BEFORE the end of the billing cycle to keep the $29.99 rate.

If your billing cycle is close to the date then you can call Verizon and change the billing cycle end date.
So can I transfer the upgrade and when I receive the phone simply sell it without ever activating it? If I do that, do I pull the sim card that comes with it and destroy it?

I checked on my Verizon link and I'm eligible to upgrade but not at a discounted rate. So I'd have to pay full price.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

So can I transfer the upgrade and when I receive the phone simply sell it without ever activating it? If I do that, do I pull the sim card that comes with it and destroy it?

I checked on my Verizon link and I'm eligible to upgrade but not at a discounted rate. So I'd have to pay full price.
Yes you can sell without ever activating it. Destroy the sim.

You need to wait until your 2 years is up before you can do a subsidized upgrade. Paying full retail will not lock in the $29.99 rate, and you will be charged the higher rate at the end of your 2 year contract.

Check specifically the upgrade date, Verizon usually let's you upgrade early on dpp, but you also have to turn in your current phone. So I would advise against early upgrades

Tuningfreak

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site

Yes you can sell without ever activating it. Destroy the sim.

You need to wait until your 2 years is up before you can do a subsidized upgrade. Paying full retail will not lock in the $29.99 rate, and you will be charged the higher rate at the end of your 2 year contract.

Check specifically the upgrade date, Verizon usually let's you upgrade early on dpp, but you also have to turn in your current phone. So I would advise against early upgrades
My contract ends on 7/25, same date it says I can upgrade. But when it also has a note that I'm eligible for an upgrade. When I go to the shopping link, all the devices are full price or a monthly rate.
So now I'm all confused. I want my 29.99 rate locked and my contract extended 2 years. (pictures with personal information removed by Moderator)

Last edited by a moderator:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

My contract ends on 7/25, same date it says I can upgrade. But when it also has a note that I'm eligible for an upgrade. When I go to the shopping link, all the devices are full price or a monthly rate.
So now I'm all confused. I want my 29.99 rate locked and my contract extended 2 years. (pictures with personal information removed by Moderator)
Verizon let's you upgrade early about 6 months before the 2 year contract date but only on device payment plan (dpp). You would need to wait until July 25th to use your subsidized upgrade, which would require a new 2 year service contract. This is what will keep your udp at the $29.99 rate so long as it is completed before the end of your first billing cycle on or after 7/25.

Tuningfreak

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site

Thanks to admin for deleteing those pics. I uploaded the originals by mistake instead of the edited versions.

Tuningfreak

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site

Verizon let's you upgrade early about 6 months before the 2 year contract date but only on device payment plan (dpp). You would need to wait until July 25th to use your subsidized upgrade, which would require a new 2 year service contract. This is what will keep your udp at the $29.99 rate so long as it is completed before the end of your first billing cycle on or after 7/25.
Ok, got it. I can't do anything till the 25th then. That was my worry. Thank you!

GoogleITx

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site

Hey all, I currently have a note 3 and I'm wanting to finally upgrade. I do have an UDP within my families plan. It seems that I have two options, I can either upgrade a line thats on the currently on the plan(not the udp line) and before I activate the phone, put my note 3 sim card in. Second option would just to be paying full price for a phone off the internet and just sticking my sim card in. Am I wrong on any of these 2? I love my note 3 but its just about time for me to keep it as a backup.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felisovci