[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

ds727

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Here's a followup to the situation -- Verizon just sent a shipment notification for the phone and it now shows the dumb mobile number it was ordered for. A quick look at the 'Upgrade Your Device' page on verizonwireless.com confirms that the smart line no longer states 'pending upgrade' either. All is good.

luohan

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site

I currently have a shared plan with 3 lines. Can I do an AOL on an unlimited line and make that my 4th line? I assume by doing this, the unlimited line will be on a plan on its own and the other 3 will remain the same?

In addition, if the AOL line is out of contract, can I transfer the upgrade to one of the shared lines? I'm not too sure as the transfer will be done from 2 different plans within the same account?

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

Can I do an AOL on an unlimited line and make that my 4th line? I assume by doing this, the unlimited line will be on a plan on its own and the other 3 will remain the same?

Yes, and no. If you assume a line, it ill be a part of your Family Share plan (just like my third line is...)

In addition, if the AOL line is out of contract, can I transfer the upgrade to one of the shared lines? I'm not too sure as the transfer will be done from 2 different plans within the same account?

Since the account is now yours you should be able to. I'm able to transfer an upgrade from my AOL line (third line) to any line I wish. However, I am waiting to see how to best utilize this.

luohan

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site

Yes, and no. If you assume a line, it ill be a part of your Family Share plan (just like my third line is...)
Thanks cg101 for your reply. I'm confused as the AOL line will now be part of the shared plan. So the 3 lines will share data and the AOL will have unlimited data on it's own? All 4 lines will share voice and text plan? Thank you for your help.

koolsnowboarder

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

Hi All,
Just wanted to thank everyone especially those who contribute regularly to this thread you know who you are.. :)

Also wanted to confirm that I successfully upgraded using the method described here last week.

We started with a shared plan:
Samsung Charge - Unlimited Data(upgrade available) = Mine > Going to a Note 3
Samsung Charge - Unlimited Data (upgrade available) = Wife > Going to a Note 3
Samsung Note 2 - 2Gig Data (upgrade Not available) = Mother
Samsung Dumb Phone - Basic Line (upgrade available) = Father

1) We simply upgraded my father’s dumb phone to a Note 3 on VerizonWireless and selected Store Pickup
2) Picked up Note 3 in store, they checked my ID and activated (which deactivated my dad’s old phone, we forgot to tell him but he was ok)
3) We got straight home. Called Verizon on phone and told them we wanted to reactivate my dad’s old dumb phone oh his line. They are very friendly and didn't ask questions as to why or anything... They completed activation of old phone to his number
4) They asked what line we wanted to activate the Note 3 on. We said my wife's line. [She was the guinea pig :)] They completed the process and asked if anything else we needed. That was it...when I logged in to VerizonWireless, My wife’s New Note 3 said Unlimited Data and Dads old phone was back to old plan.
5) Now to Rinse and repeat for my Note 3….
6) I went to upgrade dads dumb phone again on VerizonWireless, but this time it had RED TEXT on the top part that said that my dad’s line had recently been upgraded and had to finish the activation process… It grayed his dumb phone and I could not select it.
7) I called Verizon and they fixed it, but said it might go away on its own in a couple of days.
8) On VerizonWireless, I transferred my wife’s upgrade to my dad’s old dumb phone line and upgraded to Note3 Paid for it and selected in store pick up.
9) Picked up Note 3 in store, same process…as before.( step 2).
10) We got straight home. Called Verizon on phone and told them we wanted to reactivate my dad’s old dumb phone oh his line. They are very friendly and didn't ask questions as to why or anything... They completed activation of old phone to his number
11) They asked what line we wanted to activate the New Note 3 on. We said my line. They completed the process. That was it...when I logged in to VerizonWireless, My New Note 3 said Unlimited Data; My Wife’s Note 3 said Unlimited Data; and Dads old phone was back to old plan.

Well Probably too much info but I thought I’d share as sometimes those details are what someone is looking for to be more confident in doing this loophole. Don’t expect Verizon employees to confirm this works. We got a resounding NO from everybody and we asked at multiple stores and best buys if this idea would work. So we were on the wall for a long time. They said it would work for the first upgrade but we would need to open a second dumbphone line to do 2nd Note 3, Otherwise they told us if we transferred my wife’s upgrade to my dad’s dumbphone for the rinse repeat (step 8) she would automatically lose unlimited. This did Not Happen…As you can see (therein lies the loophole which for now…Works). And we could do this one more time as I still have my Upgrade... 
As a reminder when you pick up the phone in store, try not to talk too much to the salesman… he is just activating your phone for you, cause they are really pushing other plans in an effort to get people off unlimited. Don’t tell them your plans. We have two Verizon stores nearby each other and thought of picking up phones at different location as a precaution but didn’t and didn’t have any issues.
Thanks again everyone.
Wife and I have had the Note3 for a week now and WOW this is easily one of the Most impressive phones out there. Completely in Love with it.

Last edited:

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

Thanks cg101 for your reply. I'm confused as the AOL line will now be part of the shared plan. So the 3 lines will share data and the AOL will have unlimited data on it's own? All 4 lines will share voice and text plan? Thank you for your help.

There's the Nationwide Family Share plan and there is Share Everything. You are confusing the two. Nationwide Family Share plan is sharing just the voice minutes. Share Everything is the plan that has a minimum 2GB data cap. So for unlimited data plan purposes, we talk about Nationwide Family Share plan, and when you assume a line, the voice minutes from that line gets shared with everything else. Data is NOT shared with Nationwide Family Share. Now that I cleared that up, if you are confused about anything else, please go read the last 3 pages of posts. I guarantee you whatever question you have now will be answered there. 6 pages max...lmao.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Just wanted to say that I ordered 2 Iphones on 9/25 using 2 upgrades from Unlimited Data lines. I did the entire process online and spoke to no one.
Sold the Iphones, AOL'ed my basic line that I transferred the unlimited line upgrades to, since I had no need for it, and still have unlimited data on the 2 lines that donated the upgrades to the basic line.

Also, just to clear up any confusion, you can have a Nationwide line with Unlimited data and Share Everything plan on the same account easily. Obviously, they will be totally independent of each other..

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

Also, just to clear up any confusion, you can have a Nationwide line with Unlimited data and Share Everything plan on the same account easily. Obviously, they will be totally independent of each other..

Well, for those doing alternate upgrade, you'll have a Share Everything line for at least a couple of minutes before you go back to the dumb phone on the upgraded line. :)

luohan

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site

So for those that currently have a shared plan and AOL an unlimited data line over, they will have 2 plans on the account (shared everything plan and nationwide plan)? And an alternate upgrade can occur from the nationwide to the shared plan in the same account?

projektorboy

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site

Has anyone had success doing an online upgrade transfer to keep unlimited data and still obtain a phone? Here's what my account looks like:

Family Plan with 5 Lines

Line A [Unlimited Smartphone Data] [Upgrade Available = Yes]
Line B [Unlimited Smartphone Data] [Upgrade Available = Yes]
Line C [Unlimited Smartphone Data] [Upgrade Available = No]
Line D [4GB Smartphone Data] [Upgrade Available = No]
Line E [2GB Smartphone Data] [Upgrade Available = No]

Line D wants to upgrade their phone. The only plausible way would be to transfer an upgrade from either Line A or Line B to this line and purchase the phone. I've made a couple of test-orders, doing everything except clicking the final "Confirm Order" button. It didn't seem like it was going to alter the line that still had unlimited. Would the unlimited change happen later on during device activation or is there a screen I should be seeing that will say "Line A must go to 2GB data plan".?

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Has anyone had success doing an online upgrade transfer to keep unlimited data and still obtain a phone? Here's what my account looks like:

Family Plan with 5 Lines

Line A [Unlimited Smartphone Data] [Upgrade Available = Yes]
Line B [Unlimited Smartphone Data] [Upgrade Available = Yes]
Line C [Unlimited Smartphone Data] [Upgrade Available = No]
Line D [4GB Smartphone Data] [Upgrade Available = No]
Line E [2GB Smartphone Data] [Upgrade Available = No]

Line D wants to upgrade their phone. The only plausible way would be to transfer an upgrade from either Line A or Line B to this line and purchase the phone. I've made a couple of test-orders, doing everything except clicking the final "Confirm Order" button. It didn't seem like it was going to alter the line that still had unlimited. Would the unlimited change happen later on during device activation or is there a screen I should be seeing that will say "Line A must go to 2GB data plan".?

Yes, you could transfer the upgrade from line A or B to D and then activate the new phone on line D. The data plans would stay unlimited on the donating phones (A or B) and you would still have a tiered data plan on line D with the new phone.

projektorboy

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site

Yes, you could transfer the upgrade from line A or B to D and then activate the new phone on line D. The data plans would stay unlimited on the donating phones (A or B) and you would still have a tiered data plan on line D with the new phone.

Thank you! I'll be attempting an upgrade soon and taking an upgrade from A or B to D, and letting you guys know how it works out. I thought I read something in the OP about if a donor line has unlimited, it'll lose unlimited. I guess the website still has that little loophole.

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

Thank you! I'll be attempting an upgrade soon and taking an upgrade from A or B to D, and letting you guys know how it works out. I thought I read something in the OP about if a donor line has unlimited, it'll lose unlimited. I guess the website still has that little loophole.

There was an exchange between myself and tx_tuff that answered your inquiry a few pages (I know, I know, "ain't nobody got time for that..." but it was back there.)

I have four upgrades I could use to transfer to the one line that was used for the Note 3. In theory, I could use all of them to sell Note 3s and/or that fruit phone...My spidey-sense is telling me to hold off for at least a couple of months...I know next hot phone is coming but I don't know what that is...

luohan

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site

Can someone clear up for me this question.........I currently have a shared everything plan (3 smartphone lines sharing 6gbs). If I AOL an unlimited data line to my account, would I have 2 separate plans on my account (shared everything plan with the 3 lines and a nationwide plan on it's own)? Thanks

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Can someone clear up for me this question.........I currently have a shared everything plan (3 smartphone lines sharing 6gbs). If I AOL an unlimited data line to my account, would I have 2 separate plans on my account (shared everything plan with the 3 lines and a nationwide plan on it's own)? Thanks

Yes. Make sure you tell them not to add the Nationwide line to your Share Everything plan.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

luohan

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site

Yes. Make sure you tell them not to add the Nationwide line to your Share Everything plan.

Great, thank you.

Lastly, would it be then possible to transfer (alternate) upgrade from a nationwide line to a line on the shared everything plan in that same account? Or does transfering an upgrade can only occur within the same plan? Thanks

nyry

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site

Great, thank you.

Lastly, would it be then possible to transfer (alternate) upgrade from a nationwide line to a line on the shared everything plan in that same account? Or does transferring an upgrade can only occur within the same plan? Thanks

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that you can freely transfer upgrades between any lines on the same account, regardless of having different plans :)

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

Question for all. The answer is probably buried somewhere in this thread, but I've been answering posts that were a couple of posts behind the question, so I figure let me do the same...

The "upgrade fee" ($30), can I get that waived? I got the activation fee waived on both my dumbphone lines, but the upgrade fee got tacked on when I did alternate upgrade. I just wanted to hear from others before I roll the dice.

Thanks guys. Oh and btw, my bill just came, and I STILL have unlimited data....considering using some upgrades to make money, but I gotta see.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana