[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: Verizon: How to keep Unlimited Data and get phone on subsidized price

Got this error on the best buy website:

Your wireless carrier has requested additional verification. Please call us at 1-877-702-2211. We'll be happy to help you complete your order. Please have this error code handy when you call: 53
You can call but will probably have to cancel the order. It is best not to call and just cancel.

Sent from my Note 3

mooch91

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

You can call but will probably have to cancel the order. It is best not to call and just cancel.

Sent from my Note 3

I found elsewhere that this message is a function of having an unpaid balance at the time of order. The guy at best buy said this was also probably the reason for the message. My monthly bill had just come, so I just paid it by credit card through the web. Tried the best buy site again and it still brings up an error... I may give it an hour, or tomorrow, to try again. Hopefully all of the retries don't lock me out.

mooch91

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

I found elsewhere that this message is a function of having an unpaid balance at the time of order. The guy at best buy said this was also probably the reason for the message. My monthly bill had just come, so I just paid it by credit card through the web. Tried the best buy site again and it still brings up an error... I may give it an hour, or tomorrow, to try again. Hopefully all of the retries don't lock me out.

Looks like I will be the first person this has failed on. I've tried about 6 times, tried both my numbers, and it continues to bring up the error message each time...

mooch91

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Mooch, I had a Maxx and couldn't take it anymore either. I used the Best Buy method, mostly because I wanted a white s5. My line was eligible for an upgrade so I ordered the s5 on my line, which is secondary (I'm also an account owner). Once I got the s5 I took the Sim from the Maxx, put into the s5 and then turned on the s5. Voila, you're ready to go. Verizon still shows me as unlimited and I got a nice phone for $150. That's it.

Best Buy method isn't working for me. It brings up an error message each time it goes to Verizon to validate my account. Not sure why - it lets me get through the initial eligibility confirmation with no problem.

Too bad too. I guess I can fall back on the Verizon method, but the extra $100 I was going to get off the phone at Best Buy would have been nice...

mooch91

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

I'm wondering if the Best Buy method failed because of the "special" plan I have. Not only do I have unlimited data on both lines, but I also have a $20 data discount on both lines, bringing my monthly unlimited data cost to $9 each. This was a plan offered through retentions a couple of years back that has 1400 minutes, unlimited text, and unlimited data.

Anyone able to do a subsidized upgrade with this plan and not lose any of the discounts? I imagine it would work the same way when using the "FlyingArrow" method...

bentz626

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site

Going from a RAZR Maxx to an S5. Ordered today from BB site and shipped a few hours later. Fingers crossed everything goes as planned.

Verizon account page shows extended contract date and UDP still.

ItsRob

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Success. Verizon method worked. Just got my phone in mail today. Ended up just using the SIM card from my old phone but everything worked perfectly without any problems. Still have my UDP and now I get to enjoy it with a kickass Samsung Galaxy S5. Thanks dss2000 for your help! Much appreciated.

beavermjr

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: Best Buy Mobile lets me keep Unlimited Data Plan on Verizon?

Sorry I took so long to get back to everyone. My account is a personal single line account. I don't think I had an outstanding balance when I tried to upgrade. Maybe the site denied me because my monthly bill had just been generated. I will have to go back online and check.

Edit: I am now able to upgrade. It was the fact that my bill had just generated. :)

Now another question: I have the Droid Charge and want something newer. One of the guys at my gym recommended waiting for the Samsung Galaxy F/S5 Prime in September. Is that a good option or is there something else I should wait for/get now?

Sig2022

May 1, 2014
Visit site

So I got my phone yesterday morning and followed the instructions. Ordered through bestbuy.com had it shipped to my home, took out new sim and put in old, turned on the phone and everything worked just fine. Account still shows unlimited data and plan is up 2 years from now. Thank you very much for telling me this so I didn't lose my UDP.

hzimmy

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site

Update - Getting a SIM card from store

(Bought S5 at BB to upgrade a Droid X - no SIM card in X to swap into new phone)
Went to Verizon retail store and asked for a SIM card. Of course they wanted to see my phone - employee opens the back and 'viola' there is a SIM card in it already. Whoops! It is white and for some reason I thought they were black like the SD cards. I didn't see it when I put the battery in. So I mumbled something about figuring it out myself and slunk away.
Employee also asked where I got the phone and how much I paid.

Went to a corporate store better prepared. SIM card was out, researched swappa and how much the S5s are going for. This time everything was smooth. They set up the SIM card free and made sure everything was working. They referenced my UDP several times (like how nice it is to have & you won't have to worry about this because you have UDP). So I think its all good and I love my phone.
THANKS everyone!

stillcole

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site

So when I go to BB's website and go to order the phone, a screen pops up that prompts me to "check my eligibity" for an upgrade. This is all fine and dandy but there is a disclaimer at the bottom that says:

"There's a change from Verizon Wireless for unlimited data plans.
Verizon Wireless has ended this plan option, so when you upgrade you'll be switched to their most common 2GB plan by default."
Here is a screen shot:
5fz1xHi.png

I don't know if this was there earlier this week when I checked, but I very well may have missed it. Has anyone seen this disclaimer and proceeded anyway with success? I just want to check and make sure this isn't a new thing before I pull the trigger.

hazelgreen

May 27, 2011
Visit site

So when I go to BB's website and go to order the phone, a screen pops up that prompts me to "check my eligibity" for an upgrade. This is all fine and dandy but there is a disclaimer at the bottom that says:

"There's a change from Verizon Wireless for unlimited data plans.
Verizon Wireless has ended this plan option, so when you upgrade you'll be switched to their most common 2GB plan by default."
Here is a screen shot: http://i.imgur.com/5fz1xHi.png

I don't know if this was there earlier this week when I checked, but I very well may have missed it. Has anyone seen this disclaimer and proceeded anyway with success? I just want to check and make sure this isn't a new thing before I pull the trigger.

Yes, I got that too, just ignore. Once you get to the next screen, it should say something like "keep current plan". As long as it says that and as long as you put in the old sim and do not call them to activate, you're golden.

Oh, I would also keep screenshots just in case you need them of the steps that show the 'keep current plan' option, although I didn't end up needing them..

tiacari

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

OK, I am sure this question has been asked many times, but I can't find my specific problem.

I have one line with UDP, and two basic phones. I am now on month to month on all three. I want to upgrade my line with UDP, but can I do the BB method and use a basic phone line?
Lets say I went to BB site and upgraded a phone on basic line, to a smart phone(which I do not want to keep)
Then can I cancel my data service on basic line when I get the phone but before I activate?

I am not sure if this makes any sense...
I want to upgrade but not lose UDP and not keep a DP on my current 'dumb' phone. Can I do that through BB?

Thanks so much!

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

OK, I am sure this question has been asked many times, but I can't find my specific problem.

I have one line with UDP, and two basic phones. I am now on month to month on all three. I want to upgrade my line with UDP, but can I do the BB method and use a basic phone line?
Lets say I went to BB site and upgraded a phone on basic line, to a smart phone(which I do not want to keep)
Then can I cancel my data service on basic line when I get the phone but before I activate?

I am not sure if this makes any sense...
I want to upgrade but not lose UDP and not keep a DP on my current 'dumb' phone. Can I do that through BB?

Thanks so much!

Yes the transfer upgrade to dumb phone method works whether you order it from Verizon or Best Buy. Basic instruction is:

One Smart phone with UDP
Line1 UDP (Upgrade available)
Line2 dumb phone​

1. Transfer upgrade from Line1 to Line2
  2. Order smartphone using upgrade on Line2, select data plan
  3. Activate smartphone on Line1
  4. Pending data plan on Line2 will drop off in a week

If you transfer and upgrade a dumb phone in the store they will likely make you activate it in the store. That is okay. When you get home just log into your Verizon account and activate the dumb phone back on it's original line and it will free the new smartphone. Then you can just take the SIM from your old Smartphone and put it in the new Smartphone. The data plan that you signed up for at Best Buy should just fall off because the dumb phone doesn't use data.

FDtruckman

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

Please let be know if you wind up getting the credit. Maybe I'll try calling in again.

Update on the $50 price match from BB for the S5 that I posted on the 15th. I called in on the 15th for the price match,($149 vs $99), and still haven't received credit yet. I called BB today to inquire and she she had to re-send the price match request 'up' again, but said it shouldn't be a problem.

Zennmaster

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

One more quick update:

This method still works as of today.

As others have said, the keys appear to be:

1) The first thing you need to do after removing the back AND BEFORE INSTALLING THE BATTERY is to remove the sim card that comes with the phone. Keep track of the new one, and treat it like hazardous material (I took a marker and put a big "NO!!" on it). You may destroy it if you wish, unless you think you might need to return the phone.

2) Without reading it, recycle the instruction letter that comes from VZW/BB.

3) Place your old sim card in the new phone.

4) Install the battery, and fire up the phone. Do NOT call anyone for activation! Go about your normal business. An hour after doing all this, My Verizon shows the new device, as well as my UDP.

Thanks to the courageous discoverers of this method!

Jables10

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: How to keep Unlimited Data and get phone on subsidized price.

I have a problem. I ordered a Galaxy S5 and its faulty.
Anytime someone calls me they hear an echo of themselves on their end. If i use my bluetooth headset or car bluetooth , no echo. So i assume its faulty hardware in the phone.
So do i contact verizon or bestbuy about this? Will they take away my unlimited data? Should I just send the phone back and request a refund? Then order another?

Jables10

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: How to keep Unlimited Data and get phone on subsidized price.

I called bestbuy mobile and they said i would have to bring it into the store for an exchange.

pawsmith

May 24, 2014
Visit site

Can I just buy a new sim card online, rather than use the sim card that would ship with the new phone?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
triplacey