Internal Memory vs. micro SD cards?

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Internal storage vs SD card

I've never had a phone with an sd card before. If I use Google play music and move music to the sd card for offline playback, does it use the Internet connection to stream music even if I am online, or will it play it locally without using data?

XT1060

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Low Internal storage with micro SD card VS High Internal storage

I would advise to store apps on the internal memory. For large app data like gpm music download or whatever, that can be on the sd.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

I too would recommend a minimum of 32GB internal storage for app installation and using the SD card for media storage.

Posted via the Android Central App

Dan Peters

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site

I went with the 16 GB, and I'll augment that with a 64 GB SD card. I expect all of my apps will EASILY fit on the internal storage.

Oh, and rumor has it that with Marshmallow, there won't be much (any?) difference between SD card and internal storage.

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site

I am having a hell of a time deciding between the 16 and 32. On my LG G2 rooted but stock rom, I have a little over 20 GB free. I'm only using about 4 gigs of space between apps, photos, downloads, misc. LG takes about 8 gigs, which totals up to the 32 GB phone.

I feel like if the Moto XPE has 10-11 gb of unusable space on the 16 gb model, and I only use about 4-5 gigs, that still leaves me about 5ish gigs free... BEFORE my 64 gb sd card.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

I've always lived by the rule to buy as much memory as I can afford, and maybe a little more. The same with SD cards. So I ordered the Pure with 64GB memory, which was only 499.99 (just $100 more than the 16GB one). I already have a 128GB microSD card, so I'm set.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

question guys i made an order of a 16 gb verison thinking it would be fine with my 64 gb micro sd card. Should i stick with that or cancel the order and go for a 32gb verion because of the apps not being able to be stored on the sd card. However with android M coming out this fall it will support apps on the sd card and being that we should get the update fairly quick its a toss up... what should i do guys

The 64GB version is just $100 more than the 16GB one; even less for the 32GB one. Don't skimp on memory, if you can afford it.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I have a Note 4 and some app data is on the 200GB sd. I see no performance issues, but I am not sensitive enough to notice milliseconds of time difference ;) Android does enough things already to ding performance as it is :)

In comparison, I'll take my 232GB of device storage or 264GB with Moto X Pure ANY day over the far more expensive Note 5. Heck, even with the 200GB card the 64GB Moto X would be $150 less than the Note 5 and have 200GB more storage.

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

I have a Note 4 and some app data is on the 200GB sd. I see no performance issues, but I am not sensitive enough to notice milliseconds of time difference ;) Android does enough things already to ding performance as it is :)

In comparison, I'll take my 232GB of device storage or 264GB with Moto X Pure ANY day over the far more expensive Note 5. Heck, even with the 200GB card the 64GB Moto X would be $150 less than the Note 5 and have 200GB more storage.

Haha yea, I would never complain about milliseconds either, but TEN SECONDS to open the gallery on my Note 4 (even after a system restore)... that I complain about and is why I'm jumping from the Samsung ship after 3 phones in a row with them.

Riccardo C

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site

The 64GB version is just $100 more than the 16GB one; even less for the 32GB one. Don't skimp on memory, if you can afford it.

So I decided to take your advice because it was weighting on my mind if it would be enough storage. So i canceled my first order which was surpisingly easy and reordered a new phone. I saw something online that scared me which was that my moto x was engraved i would only be able to recieve a credit. I had already bought the new phone with my credit card but to my surprise they canceled it straight away(maybe because it wasnt shipped yet).. the EST shipping date is still Sept 15th so im crossing my fingers.
Screenshot_2015-09-04-12-04-27-1.png

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site

Oh, and rumor has it that with Marshmallow, there won't be much (any?) difference between SD card and internal storage.

I read Marshmallow will have this feature called adaptive storage. What does this mean exactly?
Does this mean we will finally be able to move app data to sd cards?
Is this really true?

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site

I am having a hell of a time deciding between the 16 and 32. On my LG G2 rooted but stock rom, I have a little over 20 GB free. I'm only using about 4 gigs of space between apps, photos, downloads, misc. LG takes about 8 gigs, which totals up to the 32 GB phone.

I feel like if the Moto XPE has 10-11 gb of unusable space on the 16 gb model, and I only use about 4-5 gigs, that still leaves me about 5ish gigs free... BEFORE my 64 gb sd card.
Based upon your usage you should be fine with the 16 GB. I have a 2013 Moto X with 16 GB storage and typically have 4-5 GB free. Keep pictures and music stored in the cloud and don't do a lot of gaming.

Sent from my Moto X (2013)

philosopherisdog

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site

I went with 32 GB for two reasons-

1) Resale - if I decide to sell on Swappa or some other place in the future,it will be easier to sell than 32 gb.
2) performance - this is purely anectdotal and I cannot support this with technical knowledge, but I've found that performance on my phone (currently a G2) is hampered when the storage is nearly full

KSY77

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site

I recently bought the Samsung Note 5 and unfortunately it only has 32 gb of internal storage. I was bummed out about this but found a fairly decent product that could somewhat compensate for the lack of internal storage. It's called the Seagate Wireless Plus 2 tb external storage product. Here is what it looks like if you are interested in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4gk3JKcSmU

For those in Canada, this product is on sale for $199 until Sept 10, 2015 at Best Buy:

Seagate 2TB Plus Wireless 2.5" Portable External Hard Drive (STCV2000100) : Portable External Hard Drives - Best Buy Canada

Cheers!

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I have a 1TB version and though better than nothing, it is nowhere as convenient as local storage, another device to carry and uses more power. Not to mention the media can't integrate with the apps.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Think it'll be worth it to use a UHS-II card over UHS-1 or Class 10?

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Think it'll be worth it to use a UHS-II card over UHS-1 or Class 10?

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
I think the only benefit would be if the phone let's you record 4k straight to the card.