Internal Memory vs. micro SD cards?

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: Internal storage vs SD card

Think it'll be worth it to use a UHS-II card over UHS-1 or Class 10?

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Sandisk cards are on sale at Best Buy and Amazon and the marketing will tell you to buy the faster speeds even for 1080 HD video recording. But I always thought anything Class 10 or higher or at least UHS-1 was good for 1080.

That said, if I think there's any chance I'll repurpose the card later on, such as for my DSLR, I'll buy the faster cards on a good sale.

morphodone

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: Low Internal storage with micro SD card VS High Internal storage

2) performance - this is purely anectdotal and I cannot support this with technical knowledge, but I've found that performance on my phone (currently a G2) is hampered when the storage is nearly full

It certainly can.
From anandtech's review of the OG Moto X.

"To really stress the eMMC implementation and F2FS, I filled my 16GB Moto X’s roughly 12GB data partition with sequential data. I left less than 200MB free on the device, and then ran our standard 100MB span of read/write tests. This is the same procedure that left the 2013 Nexus 7 with ~0.1MB/s random write speeds, but in the case of the Moto X we saw a small but nowhere-near-as-bad performance degradation."

Posted via the Android Central App

Anthony_NE

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

It certainly can.
From anandtech's review of the OG Moto X.

"To really stress the eMMC implementation and F2FS, I filled my 16GB Moto X’s roughly 12GB data partition with sequential data. I left less than 200MB free on the device, and then ran our standard 100MB span of read/write tests. This is the same procedure that left the 2013 Nexus 7 with ~0.1MB/s random write speeds, but in the case of the Moto X we saw a small but nowhere-near-as-bad performance degradation."

Just so I'm reading this correctly, it grossly affected the Nexus, but negligibly affected the X?

jdk606o

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site

I'm also up in the air on this one. I have 32gb on my current phone, and with all my apps, it only equates to 6.2gb.. and I can put my pics and videos on the SD card.. so 16gb or 32gb?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I went with 64. No need to worry about sd card for me.

As dpham said.. I'd store apps on internal and other things (like music / movies) on SD card if I used one.

BoneDigger

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

My Note 2 has 16g and I have a SD for extra storage. Some apps will not install on the card. This go around I went with the 64g internal and will swap in my 128g card if it will work. I keep music, pictures, and movies on the card and will use internal memory for apps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Flow39

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

I'd go with 32 and then get an SD card with whatever amount of storage you'd want/need.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

I'm of the opinion that you can never have too much memory, especially internal memory. So I opted for 64GB internal, along with my 128GB microSD card (which I already have).

YahyaRivero

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
MicroSDXC 64GB

Pre-Ordered my MotoXPure on the 2nd. Anxious for it to arrive. I'm currently looking into memory cards for the device. Read the article on this site regarding a Moto G 2nd gen and Sd cards. Great article.

One thing that got me a bit confused. Within the article it said that Class 10 are good for read and write but that UHS cards is what you really want. Saw some cards online that have class 10 and UHS-1 on them. Are these good cards?

32GB is good enough for me but saw great deals for today on the 64GB. Need a response by today to get this deal. Thank you all.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: MicroSDXC 64GB

Depends on what you need it for. Class 10 and uhs-1 are both rated for 10MB/s. Uhs-3 is rated for 30MB/s.

For most people uhs-1/class 10 is adequate.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

YahyaRivero

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Depends on what you need it for. Class 10 and uhs-1 are both rated for 10MB/s. Uhs-3 is rated for 30MB/s.

Well mostly for of movie files. Just to keep large videos to entertain myself in case there's no connection.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I think the only benefit would be if the phone let's you record 4k straight to the card.

I just don't want the card to end up bogging the Gallery down. I don't keep too many photos - I clean them up after they've been backed up to Google Photos.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Sandisk 200GB on sale for $150 today (Sept 8th) at Amazon

Just a heads up the 200GB Sandisk micro sd is on sale today at Amazon for $150 :)

Valeriev87

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site

Why should you bother, seriously? Take the maximum internal and with time add extra external (y)

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Questions about SD Card usage

I'm strongly considering getting one of the new Moto X's, but my question is how much internal memory will I really need since we can now use SD cards?

For some background, I typically would get as much internal storage as possible because I often PIN my entire music collection (Just over 35 GIG) directly to the phone. From time to time I also PIN movies to the phone. I don't really run that many apps.

Will I be able to PIN this data (Music and Movies) directly to the SD Card or will I need to buy a phone with a larger internal storage capacity for this?

Thanks!