iPod mode on car stereo for Pixel

chestvrg

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm supposed to be getting my Google Pixel 128GB in two days I'm very excited and looking forward. Currently with my iPhone I listen to music and a lot of international music and news stations while connected to my car stereo via USB cable and the iPhone automatically goes into iPod mode.

My question is will I be able to do the same thing with my google Pixel? Most of the media I consume while driving is while connected to my current iPhone, I would feel disappointed if the Pixel can't do this.

Or is there a third party app that would put the Pixel into iPod mode?

I can't connect via Bluetooth b/c my car stereo doesn't support Bluetooth streaming, to be exact I have a Sony KDC-BT64BU (bt phone calls, but no music streaming support)

Please advise.
76db85defb639a9ac748eaf15614d67a.jpg

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
You have a couple options. You should be able to just plug in a USB cable and play your music. Your other option is to get an Aux cord ( a double male audio cable) and plug it into the jack in both the Pixel and the port just below the USB.

chestvrg

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I thought also if there was like a driver app for an android phone that would allow an android phone to be detected as if it was an iPod or iPhone when connecting it to a car stereo via USB cable

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
This is completely dependent on your car stereo. Most car stereos with an "iPod Mode" and a USB-A port input like this (and I'm pretty sure this includes the Kenwood) allow only an iPod/iPhone or a "USB device" to be connected. You probably want to check your manual, but usually the "USB device" is just a USB flash drive connected via an OTG cable. I doubt whether your stereo will even be able play any music you might have stored on your Pixel, let alone act like an iPod or iPhone with playlists, music apps, etc. Your only choice would be the AUX connection. Any quality difference between that and a straight USB connection would be negligible, particularly given the listening environment.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
you might be able to do this but when you connect you have to go to notification and change it to PTP or MTP device.
like what others have said it depends on your stereo

chestvrg

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
you might be able to do this but when you connect you have to go to notification and change it to PTP or MTP device.
like what others have said it depends on your stereo

Thank you. I'll find out when I get the Pixel. FedEx says estimated delivery by December 21 st.

chestvrg

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
No, not being rude. The Bluetooth is only for making phone calls, but not music streaming. I will try it out on the 21st. When I get the Pixel and I'll report back.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm supposed to be getting my Google Pixel 128GB in two days I'm very excited and looking forward. Currently with my iPhone I listen to music and a lot of international music and news stations while connected to my car stereo via USB cable and the iPhone automatically goes into iPod mode.

My question is will I be able to do the same thing with my google Pixel? Most of the media I consume while driving is while connected to my current iPhone, I would feel disappointed if the Pixel can't do this.

Or is there a third party app that would put the Pixel into iPod mode?

I can't connect via Bluetooth b/c my car stereo doesn't support Bluetooth streaming, to be exact I have a Sony KDC-BT64BU (bt phone calls, but no music streaming support)

Please advise.
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161219/76db85defb639a9ac748eaf15614d67a.jpg

Some do and some don't. I would Google search for that head unit on Android capability.

youngusaplaya

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Make sure you have your music organized as in inside of a music folder do you want it separated by albums, artists, or all in the same folder and also create .m3u Playlist

chestvrg

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
What is strange to me is how the iPod mode protocol works. Since all of my music is located online via iTunes music and any time I click on either a YouTube link, or safari link and an audio/video just plays including music/news apps.

I wonder if the same functionality will be carried over when I get the Pixel. I plan to be using google play music, i have already download the utility to my PC and uploaded my entire iTunes music library to play music so as soon as I set up the Pixel the music will be right there, but I think it'll still be streamed and not physically on the device itself.

chestvrg

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
OK I got the pixel today, I have been setting it up for now. To.lrtow I will test the music. Able and report back if it works.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcj001