Is 32GB eneough? Help me understand.

richv77

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
One thing I haven't seen mentioned here yet is Resale Value. If you decide to sell your 32 GB Pixel a year from now, good luck as there will probably be less people interested.

-Rich

person13628

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
32 gb on my 3 year old phone isn't enough for me. i have a standard amount of music and don't really take videos and have about 2000 pictures.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It's better than it has been, leaving 29 to the user, but I always buy the largest storage option available as a way to signal to keep making them larger.

rebretz000

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
32GB is good enough for me. For my music needs I either stream music or I need I bought a thumb drive to use for music or video when traveling.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Everything is going to be amazing

I like this notion. :)

Well, I just read through this thread b/c I may have to consider the 32GB version due to budget constraints. What I've learned here is what I suspected: it all depends on your personal use case. And that makes sense.

I prefer the 128GB, but to think out loud for a moment...

- My N5 I gave up in August when I got my N7 was 32GB, and I always had plenty of space
- I LOVE using FLACS for audio, but even with that passion, I just occasionally put my FLACS on rotation monthly on my N5, worked fine
- My N7 was 64GB, plus I added a 128GB microSD. Sounds like nirvana, right? Well, for me, that meant I enthusiastically copied over about 50GB of FLACS - yippee, no more rotation! But in reality, my big storage N7 remained mostly empty, and I rotated my FLACS anyway - old habit.
- I've got a 128GB card in my car half-filled with mp3's. Sounds awesome, but I actually listen to the 5% or so that curate/rotate. If it was a tiny 16GB card I'd do just fine.
- Google offers free Cloud storage, which I use heavily for just about everything now, as I am a long-time Chromebook user/lover. This is a game-changer for me. My pictures are constantly scrubbed from my phone and automatically backed-up in Google Cloud in original format.

So, my use case is that I typically grab for the larger storage for my phones and for use in my car, but I actually rarely use it.

Again, it's up to everyone's personal use case - no one, hard, fast, way to go that will suit everyone. You just don't want to be disappointed in time, but it might be a good idea to take a close use at your actual (vs. imagined) personal use case.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The use case with music, while not ideal, you can use OTG functionality and the Pixels support USB 3.0 speeds with a compatible cable and paired device, so you could technically carry your music library on external storage and plug it in through the USB C port on the Pixel. This would work for movies, music and photos as well as some misc type files, but not for apps.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
The use case with music, while not ideal, you can use OTG functionality and the Pixels support USB 3.0 speeds with a compatible cable and paired device, so you could technically carry your music library on external storage and plug it in through the USB C port on the Pixel. This would work for movies, music and photos as well as some misc type files, but not for apps.

Yup - and further to my point...

When I bought my N5, which only had 32GB, I went out and purchased an OTG drive b/c I was convinced I needed it to overcome the shortage of storage on the N5. The OTG was a great device, but I never used it once. :)

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
There should be a 64gb option but since there is not, I think if you have a lot of apps, movies, music you keep on your device, you have to go for the 128gb. If you live in the cloud, use google photos for backup, stream your music and don't have a ton of apps. You should be fine on 32gb. I personally would go 128gb but if I had to I could live with 32gb. I just couldn't have 30 movies sitting on my phone, I'd have to narrow it down to half a dozen I guess. My S7 with 32 internal and only apps on it I have 15.5gb free, if I move my podcasts, pics and TV shows I'd have about 5.5gb left, still room 3-4 movies but that's it..

All depend on how you use it.

tcatnat

Oct 8, 2016
Visit site
I really wish they had a 64GB option although I believe 32Gb will be enough for me. I currently have a 64GB iPhone 6 and a few days ago I was using about 24GB of space. After actively managing stuff I don't use that has just accumulated because I was lazy I am now down to 18GB of use. This includes apps I downloaded but never used (because they were free). Or apps I use a couple of times but moved on to something better but never deleted. Do I really need 4 weather apps, 8 news apps, 3 travel itinerary apps, etc.? I already use Google Photos, Stream through Google Play and never store movies on my phone. My biggest culprit was podcasts I had downloaded and never deleted after listening. That alone was 1.5GB.

For me 32Gb should be fine.

AnhChuong

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
From the video i've seen youtube. The 32Gb model will have around 23Gb available, man. I will be a trouble if you usually shoot high quality video like 4k and you don't often use mobile data. I will definately go with the 128Gb one

Nido221

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
I have been waiting for this phone to come out to decide what I want to replace my 16GB Moto X and lately my life has been If I need an app, I need to delete an app.

Looking at my phone it only shows that 10.33GB of storage, so I am assuming that missing 6GB is being used by VZW and the OS? I have moved basically all my photos and vidoes to google photos to clear up space and basically have 7.4GB allocated to app date and media content.

My concern is if keep this phone 2-3 years am I going to be running into the same problem with space? Crunching numbers I think 32GB would work, but I don't know how much of that is really going to be mine and what will OS/Security updates take?

Any thoughts would be appreciative on what is the best way to look at this. It sounds crazy to pay and extra $100 for the extra storage, but to me it would be worse to spend $700 on a phone that I run out of storage on.

Part of this discussion is that all 128GB modesl our out of stock so do I wait or just order the 32GB now?

Can you tell what is the maximum memory available in Pixel phones i.e 32 or 64 GB?

tcatnat

Oct 8, 2016
Visit site
From the video i've seen youtube. The 32Gb model will have around 23Gb available, man. I will be a trouble if you usually shoot high quality video like 4k and you don't often use mobile data. I will definately go with the 128Gb one

I preordered a 32GB Pixel the other day and have been racking my brain on this decision. Cancelled that this morning and ordered a 128GB. Unfortunately it won't be here until Thanksgiving.