Is 32GB eneough? Help me understand.

Amanda Bazan1

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I find that I prefer keeping my music separate for some reason and that keeps my phone manageable. A lot of the music I downloaded years ago doesn't seem to be on any particular music subscription service, so I am not I interested in parting with my iPod Video while I am still able to order parts for it. Keeping the music separate keeps me from draining my battery, but I also have an adapter for everything (until I figure out how to put Qi charging ability into that old iPod.)

Essentially, you have more options than you think, you just need to open up your mind a bit.

TonyBro

Oct 10, 2016
Visit site
You should stop worrying because the phone which you use support MicroSD cards and USB connectivity. Use the latter option for moving large files to the PC.

Nesquik

Oct 11, 2016
Visit site
Having unlimited cloud space is great but I don't get how everyone is so casual about having to use so much more data now than before. Isn't data expensive? I get throttled after 3gb. Fwiw I went with a 128gb.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I have the 32GB Nexus 6p. In the settings the storage specs say I have used 15GB of 25.01 of shared internal storage. I have used 8GB for apps, 2GB for images on the device since I put most images and video in Google Pictures and I use Google music, 4.30 GB for cached and so on. On this phone I am Ok with having 10GB left.

The report of 25.01 shared internal means that the system and associated files are using the rest of the 32GB. My concern about storage for the Pixel is that it uses the new updating process that downloads updates while you are using the phone and then makes them available the next time you boot the phone. It seems like this process would require more system storage space since you are downloading and storing the updates on the phone while you are using it. I am not getting a phone this year but next year I plan to buy the next version of the Pixel and I think I will go for a version that has more than 32GB.

Lheajo Croce

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
I have a 32g Nexus 5x. Had it since the launch last year, have quite a few hefty games on board and I still have plenty of space left. I use Google photos cloud storage and an external hard drive to store mass amounts of photos and videos as well because honestly, that's where most of your space goes.

AndroidBirdie

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Looking into the 32GB version, it could cause some problems for sure.. most of the apps update frequently, so I'd say better spend 100 more than being sorry later on.. unless you are the kind of person to spend all your storage on photos..

tcatnat

Oct 8, 2016
Visit site
Question? According to Android Central a 32gb version will have 24gb of available storage. I am coming over from iOS and currently have a 64GB iPhone 6 but I'm only using 21GB. What Google apps are preinstalled as part of that lost 8GB? Currently the app taking up the most space is Downcast because I have 1.4GB of podcasts stored locally. This is easily manageable by me. The next two apps that take up the most space are Google Now and Chrome with 760MB and 565MB respectively. If those Google apps are preinstalled as part of the 8GB loss out of the box the 32GB version will be enough for me.

I am really frustrated by the lack of 64GB version but to pay and additional $100 for storage that I may use only a small percentage of seems ludicrous. I was just going to get the 128GB version but would really like to keep that $100 in my pocket. I already use Google Photos and stream through Google Music so the more Google apps that are part of that 8GB the more comfortable I am with the 32GB version.

With Google photos I typically only upload when using WiFi. Even when on vacation hotels, resorts, even cabins I have stayed in offer free WiFi so uploading photos regularly to save storage is a non-issue for me.

Decisions, decisions.

russell1997

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
My guess would be 128gb, because I'm planning to keep the Pixel for abt 2-3 years. And until then we'll need more and more storage... Wish it's had a 64gb though

Agreed. 64 would be the sweet spot. 64 and 128 should have been the options. however, they might not have sold nearly as many 128s if they had. I think you see why the 128 is sold out and the 32 is not. most folks will need more than 32.

I am really frustrated by the lack of 64GB version but to pay and additional $100 for storage that I may use only a small percentage of seems ludicrous.
+1

BuzzinDSM

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
32gb was a no brainer for me regardless of price.

My Nexus 5 was 16gb and I never came close to running out of space.
My Nexus 6 has 14.86 out of 25.98 used

I don't consider it safe to walk around with a phone loaded with pictures and videos not backed up to the cloud. I also find it easier to manage with less crap on the phone.

This probably has a lot to do with my personality, I'm the type of person that feels physically ill when I see someones Outlook with 100+ emails in the inbox.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I had a Note 4 for two years and I was full with nothing that could be clouded, so for me 32 gb is not enough. I currently have a 64gb Note 7, but with the current issues clouding the Note 7, it is anyone's guess right now if I will be able to keep that phobe. That said, I will have trouble going back to a 32gb phone, even for one year.

Yup, I had the exact same experience. Multiple times I had to clean stuff off my Note 4 to fit on an audio book or some other download.

While I will miss the hell out of my N7, I finally decided on and ordered the XL 128. I just could not get myself to go for the G S7E. I don't think I would have gone for the V20, but its unavailability made it all the easier to decide.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
USB OTG

I have a 16GB Nexus 5, 32 GB Nexus 6, 32 GB Galaxy S6, Note 7 (64 GB with 256GB as)

If I am looking to watch a bunch of Movies or listen to a bunch of FLAC music files ....I store then on USB Flash drives and carry a USB OTG cable

Micro-sd to me is about the equivalent of just larger on-board storage. Because of Adoptable storage with Encryption a Micro-sd becomes locked to a single device meaning it is not good for swapping into another phone.
(Most Micro-sd on phones are also not very Hot-swap friendly: Putting Micro-sd under battery or in Sim card tray)

Cloud Storage for data heavy users is great, aside from the associated Cloud storage hack risks and that sensitive personal data shouldn't really be stored on the Cloud.

I went with 32GB Pixel as USB OTG will cover my Airplane mode Movies and Music listening needs. Also makes it easier to swap devices if needed. [I haven't had a USB OTG stolen yet(I guess USB OTG is still not very common), but have had a Galaxy S6 stolen. Or when I was swapping Note 7's due to recall...since encrypted SD card required a re-Format]
That's a good way of solving the low storage issue indeed, thanks for the tip.
Cheers

Saturn1217

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I think it can be you just need to be really honest with yourself about how you use your phone. I am using a 32gb Nexus 6p right now. I am using 15.52GB out of 25GB available. I haven't done a fresh install since I got the phone a year ago. I use this phone as my primary camera, used it for my honeymoon, weddings etc. I very rarely take video. I don't play that many games (although I have about 6 installed). I use Google music with one playlist pinned for offline use. Most of my phone use is browsing the web, Reddit and the news and using the phone for navigation, communication, etc.

If you use your phone in a similar way and are ok with cloud solutions for photos and music I think 32gb is more than enough. If you want a lot of advanced games on your phone, or you take a lot of video, you probably need to get 128gb. It really just depends but to be clear, 32gb is NOT 16gb (which is useless for anyone who actually uses a phone). 32gb can be plenty if you don't do a lot of storage intensive tasks regularly.

Celso Rodrigues

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
I use Google Photos to backup all my photos and videos and I pretty much stream everything either through GP Music or Youtube, so for me 32GB is enough.

plumcrazy

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
looking at the storage on my note5, im using 36GB now. mostly photo and video. im lazy and id hate to get the 32 and later regret it. its only $100 and i keep my phones about a year. $100 over 12 months isnt enough for me to worry about

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
looking at the storage on my note5, im using 36GB now. mostly photo and video. im lazy and id hate to get the 32 and later regret it. its only $100 and i keep my phones about a year. $100 over 12 months isnt enough for me to worry about

I keep mine two years....so it's even less of an issue for me, I suppose.

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
Having unlimited cloud space is great but I don't get how everyone is so casual about having to use so much more data now than before. Isn't data expensive? I get throttled after 3gb. Fwiw I went with a 128gb.

I live in the UK and have a plan that gives me unlimited data (which also allows me to tether up to 12Gb/m) for £25/m (about $30 at the moment). I believe these things are more expensive in the USA and Canada though.

James Graham5

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I have gone with the 128GB just purely down to the fact that in a years time I don't want to be managing the content on my phone. I do like to have some music saved and films too, I'm going to be going abroad next year and thinking of that, I would want to make sure I don't have to worry about using a hotel wifi to stream or anything.