Is it me or does the Google keyboard suck?

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
It's just you. The Google (stock) keyboard is fine. It's not the most full featured keyboard. But stock should not necessarily be fully customizable.

I have never had any issue. The Google keyboard is certainly better than any of the manufacturer keyboards. Especially Samsung

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree with the OP. I tried to stick with the Google keyboard for too long and it was simply maddeningly inaccurate for my fingers. Maybe they are too fat for Google or something. I'm back to SwiftKey and already can tell a difference.

Sent from my XT1056 using AC Forums mobile app

Snake Griffin

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
It's good if you're not a fast typer. Swiftkey is much better. Either way if you think it sucks then you've got plenty of choices of course.

Posted via Android Central App

Ccota08

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
As someone who uses gesture typing (or "swiping" if you want to call it that) almost exclusively, I much prefer Google Keyboard over Swiftkey. At everyone's suggestion here, I tried Swiftkey, but laughed and immediately uninstalled when it didn't know the word "semester." What a joke.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Isn't it great that we can choose our keyboards and settings for them? I used to use Swype, but have stuck with Google's since they added their own swype gesture typing.

darkehawke

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
SwiftKey is by far the best keyboard I have used on Android.
I'm fussy when it comes to keyboards as I'm used to blackberry keyboards which is by far the best virtual keyboard I've used so far but SwiftKey has made typing on Android less of a chore.
I can't stand swyping though so I prefer actual typing

Sent from my XT1052 using Tapatalk

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
For swipe typing I use the Google Keyboard which I find to be more accurate than SwiftKey.
For tap typing I use Thumb Keyboard. It has all kinds of themes and key and keyboard layout customizations along with programmable shortcut keys which I like for easy insertion of long words, email addresses, passwords etc., that I use frequently.

machzk

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
I am two days into a Moto X and i am using the Google keyboard. I think it is great. At first I was slow, because it was a new keyboard, but after some getting used to it is a very decent keyboard. I usually don?t use swype, but it is great to have it as an option whenever I feel like using it. I came from an iPhone 5, which had a good keyboard, but I think my accuracy is better on the Google keyboard.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I am two days into a Moto X and i am using the Google keyboard. I think it is great. At first I was slow, because it was a new keyboard, but after some getting used to it is a very decent keyboard. I usually don?t use swype, but it is great to have it as an option whenever I feel like using it. I came from an iPhone 5, which had a good keyboard, but I think my accuracy is better on the Google keyboard.

The Google keyboard is miles better than the apple keyboard. I came from an iPhone to the SGS4 to the moto x and I have to say my favorite feature of the Google keyboard is that the letters themselves change case when you push shift. I was never able to tell the case I was in on iOS.

machzk

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
The Google keyboard is miles better than the apple keyboard. I came from an iPhone to the SGS4 to the moto x and I have to say my favorite feature of the Google keyboard is that the letters themselves change case when you push shift. I was never able to tell the case I was in on iOS.

I think I prefer the Google keyboard as well, but the iOS keyboard can be very accurate for a person that's is used to it. I am still faster and more accurate on it, but that is changing as I get used to this new keyboard. It all depends on experience and personal preference.

Sent from my Moto X...

Dr Triffid

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I've used Swype and Swift key, and I have settle on the Smart Keyboard, it allows me to make the keys a little larger for use with my big fingers, so far so good, and I like the text to speech feature on it, but that is just me, to each his/hers own ;)

I second Smart Keyboard, also because it has the option to eliminate the right-side period key and lengthen the space bar. Period becomes the long-press on the comma.

Sent from some Android device or another using the AC Forums app.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I purchased swiftkey along time ago. I just haven't been using it since the stock keyboard has been working just fine for me . :)

sent from my Moto X , Android Central Moderator

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I was a long-time Swiftkey user with my Samsung S3 but after moving to the MotoX, I gave the stock Google keyboard a fair chance. I really like it and now prefer it over Swiftkey for two minor reasons. First, I don't like Swiftkey's themes at all. Tacky and unappealing. Second, I don't like the way Swiftkey would automatically insert a space after a successful word prediction. I'm an old UNIX admin and shell scripter at heart and stray whitespace just goes against my grain.

For tap-tap-tap typing, I prefer Thumb Keyboard. That's what I use on my Nexus 7.

Based on the responses so far, it seems none of these keyboards "suck". It's just that different people have different preferences or expectations. Hopefully there's a keyboard out there that works best for you.

hobojoe196061

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently using Fleksy. I love the spacing on the keyboard and the autocorrect is getting better every update. Also the swipe gestures for punctuation, deleting and scrolling through word suggestions is great.

I agree with all the people saying SwiftKey is great, I own it as well. My issue with it, though, is that I don't like the layout. To me it feels a bit cramped.

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently using Fleksy. I love the spacing on the keyboard and the autocorrect is getting better every update. Also the swipe gestures for punctuation, deleting and scrolling through word suggestions is great.

I agree with all the people saying SwiftKey is great, I own it as well. My issue with it, though, is that I don't like the layout. To me it feels a bit cramped.

Trying out Fleskey also. So far it is excellent.

_YoKolorMeBadd

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I like both SwiftKey and Google keyboard. I find myself constantly switching between them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I like both SwiftKey and Google keyboard. I find myself constantly switching between them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

I've used Swiftkey before on a friend's phone, but I have just never felt the need to use anything other than Google keyboard. It's simple, clean, easy to type on, and has swipe.

sh0ebox

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I had been using Swiftkey for a while but had to leave it for the stock Google keyboard for several reasons. For one, I felt a noticeable lag with Swiftkey that was bothering me. For something used so frequently, lag should not be an issue. Second, I felt like Swiftkey does not do very well with a personal dictionary. No matter how many times I seemed to type my email addresses and usernames, it wouldn't learn them for future ease of use. That's where Google's way of learning words is superior IMO (also the fact that it has built in text expansion which I greatly missed from my iPhone days). Third, Swiftkey had a major problem with double letter words and doesn't seem to have a feature built in to allow swiping for double letters as someone else pointed out (e.g., of vs off).

Despite the seemingly simpler nature of the stock Google keyboard, I have been much happier with it than Swiftkey. Hopefully some feature updates will solve some of my biggest gripes with Swiftkey in the near future.

Posted from my Moto X