Is it me or does the Google keyboard suck?

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I like SwiftKey and Google keyboard, but they both have their pros and cons. I like the look of Google keyboard better and it seems to have no lag where SwiftKey will sometimes have a slight lag when it first comes up and I start typing the first couple letters, but there are a few reasons why I'm still sticking with SwiftKey. First, the top number row in SwiftKey beta. I don't think I could give that up. Second, it drives me absolutely crazy that the Google keyboard doesn't automatically insert a space after a comma. Third, at least for me, the predictions seem MUCH better with SwiftKey. I can type something a couple times and from then on SwiftKey will always remember what I was typing. Google keyboard never seems to learn my patterns very well at all.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I was a long-time Swiftkey user with my Samsung S3 but after moving to the MotoX, I gave the stock Google keyboard a fair chance. I really like it and now prefer it over Swiftkey for two minor reasons. First, I don't like Swiftkey's themes at all. Tacky and unappealing. Second, I don't like the way Swiftkey would automatically insert a space after a successful word prediction. I'm an old UNIX admin and shell scripter at heart and stray whitespace just goes against my grain.

For tap-tap-tap typing, I prefer Thumb Keyboard. That's what I use on my Nexus 7.

Based on the responses so far, it seems none of these keyboards "suck". It's just that different people have different preferences or expectations. Hopefully there's a keyboard out there that works best for you.

Exactly! At least we can switch keyboards. The isheep are stuck with the keyboard that Apple "knows" works best for them. But I guess Apple knows best right?!

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnnetteConnor