Is "LTE+" on AT&T an indicator of HD Voice capability?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I just spent half an hour with AT&T tech support on activating HD Voice on this new 8+. I haven't had a phone with that capability before. I know it only works with other AT&T users who have it but... that's my family.

First, there are some weird issues with IMEI but that aside... he did things on his end, I rebooted a few times... now I am getting "LTE+" sometimes as opposed to just "LTE"

Is "LTE+" what AT&T uses to indicate you can get HD Voice? Or other things? The guy didn't seem to be able to answer that clealry. I figured you guys would know better.

Thanks!

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I just spent half an hour with AT&T tech support on activating HD Voice on this new 8+. I haven't had a phone with that capability before. I know it only works with other AT&T users who have it but... that's my family.

First, there are some weird issues with IMEI but that aside... he did things on his end, I rebooted a few times... now I am getting "LTE+" sometimes as opposed to just "LTE"

Is "LTE+" what AT&T uses to indicate you can get HD Voice? Or other things? The guy didn't seem to be able to answer that clealry. I figured you guys would know better.

Thanks!
Is this an ATT branded or unlocked?
I have an unlocked S8+ and have seen the LTE and LTE+ . Since I have an unlocked, I don't get HD Voice, I assumed it was greater bandwidth per what I have read in differences of LTE and LTE+.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I have an unlocked S8+ and have seen the LTE and LTE+ . Since I have an unlocked, I don't get HD Voice, I assumed it was greater bandwidth per what I have read in differences of LTE and LTE+.

I have the unlocked version. I specifically asked the guy if that would matter. He said it shouldn't (not no). He implied that now that i have the plus, it's working.

However, the lower tier tech support person told me to go to the CONNECTIONS > MOBILE NETWORKS > MOBILE DATA where I would find enhanced LTE settings. I don't have any. I just have a toggle for mobile data.

Maybe if someone else reads this with AT&T, they can tell us if they have enhanced LTE settings there.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

I have the unlocked version. I specifically asked the guy if that would matter. He said it shouldn't (not no). He implied that now that i have the plus, it's working.

However, the lower tier tech support person told me to go to the CONNECTIONS > MOBILE NETWORKS > MOBILE DATA where I would find enhanced LTE settings. I don't have any. I just have a toggle for mobile data.

Maybe if someone else reads this with AT&T, they can tell us if they have enhanced LTE settings there.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

I thought typically you had to have a carrier phone for those features because they're software enabled. An unlocked phone won't have the carriers software for it. That could have changed, but when I worked for ATT last year it was specifically identified that unlocked phones couldn't used advanced network features.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I thought typically you had to have a carrier phone for those features because they're software enabled. An unlocked phone won't have the carriers software for it. That could have changed, but when I worked for ATT last year it was specifically identified that unlocked phones couldn't used advanced network features.

I was pretty much thinking the same thing.

I am now questioning why I got the unlocked model. It's just a knee-jerk reaction. What is the benefit? I get all the bands?

I was thinking why couldn't I just get the AT&T version and unlock it?

(I'm sort of hijacking my own thread here!)

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I do know that the unlocked model doesn't have all that AT&T bloatware!

But this talk of delayed updates for unlocked models concerns me.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Try a call with it enabled and see. That's the easiest way.

I'm not sure I follow. With what enabled? The only option I have is data on or off. The agent told me to look for "enhanced LTE services" but I was sensing she didn't know what she was doing so I got bumped up to the next level of tech support.

There is no indicator for HD Voice.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure I follow. With what enabled? The only option I have is data on or off. The agent told me to look for "enhanced LTE services" but I was sensing she didn't know what she was doing so I got bumped up to the next level of tech support.

There is no indicator for HD Voice.
Try a call. Do you see LTE staying active ?

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
You should have a setting called, "Advanced Calling." Settings->Advanced Calling. This should allow you to turn on Advanced Calling if it is not already turned on.

Otherwise, just call someone with HD Voice turned on, like Almeuit said. You'll know by the call quality of your enabled.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Nope. Drops to "H" and "H+" ... so what does that mean? No voice over LTE?

This is all new to me. I thought LTE carried voice and data.
That means it's dropping back to the 3g (they call it 4g for HSPA) network. It isn't using VoLTE so chances are HD voice isn't working.

As for what the rep said.. he is going on the AT&T branded version. Reps don't usually understand unlocked models so I really wouldn't trust what they say.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You should have a setting called, "Advanced Calling." Settings->Advanced Calling. This should allow you to turn on Advanced Calling if it is not already turned on.

Otherwise, just call someone with HD Voice turned on, like Almeuit said. You'll know by the call quality of your enabled.
That's Verizon.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

I can't find anything for "Advanced Calling"

Is that where it is for you? SETTINGS > ADVANCED CALLING

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I can't find anything for "Advanced Calling"

Is that where it is for you? SETTINGS > ADVANCED CALLING
It's a Verizon only thing. Only Verizon calls it advanced calling.

As stated previously.. you don't have it from the sound of it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Example of Verizon and what he is talking about.
222f7448f0bbb02b005bfdaf3ecc1ba0.jpg

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Ok. My interface is entirely different. Just for the record.... here's what I have on my unlocked version:

Screenshot_20170704-220748.jpg

Screenshot_20170704-220754.jpg

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah you don't have it I believe. AT&T is known for not being friendly to unlocked. They want you to have their phone.

I am really wondering if i made the wrong choice here. I could pay a $35 restocking fee and switch to the AT&T version. I've been relatively deeply entrenched in Android for years but this carrier business is still unclear.

Would I end up with the same freedom to use the phone anywhere if I bought the AT&T version then unlocked it with AT&T since I own it? My only concern is that I do travel internationally. I guess I would get the bloatware too. You have a lot of experience, what do you think?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OlegHelg