Is the Incredible 2 not popular?

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm a happy Incredible 2 owner but notice that this forum is not very active. Mostly just a small stream of problems related to the Gingerbread update and johnnyshinta manfully otherwise keeping the conversation going. I'm wondering why. I had a Thunderbolt briefly and that forum was always jumping - very vibrant. I wonder if it's because it had so much hype before it came out and ours really didn't. Also it had a lot of problems and ours has fewer despite these recent problems caused by the Gingerbread update. Also I know we were not rooted for a long time and then the root window closed temporarily when Gingerbread came out (by the way, has that window opened again? Can I root yet if I'm Gingerbreaded?).

This isn't a complaint, just a curiosity. I find myself not having any real motivation to post and that seems to be shared. Is it just because we're generally happy and don't need much and aren't fiddling with lots of root/rom stuff?

Is the phone not selling well? I would think it would be the phone for the masses on Verizon. Many people don't want or need the 4G phones and don't want to pay for them or have the crappy battery life. So you'd think Verizon would have been pushing a stable, reliable, newish 3G phone from a top maker all this time, particularly to all the people who hated their 4G battery experience. Among Verizon's 3G phones I thought this one would be at or near the top but maybe I'm wrong.

So: sales volume, general lack of problems, lack of developer buzz due to early nonrooting, or something else (and that third one may just be my inaccurate perception)? Why do you not hear more about this phone or see more in this forum?

Last edited:

hachiroku13954

May 13, 2011
Visit site
for one thing the Dinc2 flew under the radar. Verizon never really advertise this phone so really no one really knew except people who are really into phones. if you watch TV, verizon had advertisements for the thunderbolt and revolution and now the bionic. reason why is probably because this phone isn't 4G and they are really pushing their 4G network.

Reactions: cinnamin

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Mostly just a small stream of problems related to the Gingerbread update and johnnyshinta manfully otherwise keeping the conversation going.

Not sure if that was a positive or negative statement. But either ways thanks the shout out :)

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

EvanJ18

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I expected it to be popular just because of how popular the OGInc is/was (in the dev world, i know VZW didnt market it for ****). I got my Inc 2 through an insurance replacement and it came with gingerbread, i'm yet to experience any problems and i was able to root it pretty easily.

jack22182

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
The Fascinate is a piece of crap but has a very active forum. The Incredible 2 is a great phone with comparatively little forum activity. I think a crappy phone generates a lot of forum posts, and with a decent perhaps there's not as much to talk or complain about, or try to fix.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Yea, I had a Fascinate, and the forums were quite active, but a large part of that was due to all the issues the phone had. Being more or less issue-free, the Inc2 forums do tend to be comparatively quiet.

As for the popularity of the phone, it does seem it was short-changed by Verizon's marketing. For me, I chose the Fascinate over the original Inc, which I came to regret, so when the chance came to replace the Samsung with this, I jumped and couldn't be happier.

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Xda seems to have a more active Inc2 forum than most sites. But stuff is scattered all over the place. There are a few developers even posting on their own development sites like team bamf.

A Verizon rep said on one of the forums that the inc2 did sell well this summer and didn't have a lot of returns.

It is kind of a sleeper hit imo, its just that people are so consumed with 4G and dual core that they don't see how capable and dependable the inc2 is. It is fast, has great battery and is easily rooted...but is still fantastic stock if one doesn't want to root.

Sent from my Incredible 2

mikells43

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
love my inc 2. i guess its a good thing that its not too popular, cause most of the time forums are active due to people venting their troubles and fusturations haha.

a62335

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I love my Inc2, but I just picked up a TB, and the LTE sure is nice.... The Inc2 is now relegated to backup duties, but only because it lacks the 4G radio.

Saiyajin

May 12, 2010
Visit site
The Fascinate is a piece of crap but has a very active forum. The Incredible 2 is a great phone with comparatively little forum activity. I think a crappy phone generates a lot of forum posts, and with a decent perhaps there's not as much to talk or complain about, or try to fix.

I completely agree. There aren't any really serious problems with the phone, and most of the root topics work without a hitch. Remember the BB Storm days.... Tons of forum posts for a complete piece of garbage....lol

Tapatalk on Inc 2

bjn714

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I read an article a few weeks ago saying that the dinc2 was one of the better selling devices for Verizon. Of the current lineup (before the Bionic launch) it was, iirc, #3. Too bad I didn't save the link and I can't find it now...

This is one of those devices that is offered to customers who are new to smart phones and who are not necessarily the enthusiast. There are those enthusiasts who have and love the dinc2, but I think the majority of users are just everyday users looking for a reliable smart phone.

AndrewWestSide

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
I got this phone for my Wife and it's awesome. I'm always worried about battery life when it comes to HTC and so far it has been amazing. The only thing I did was turn off Global/GSM from the beginning so I can't compare the difference that may have made. If someone wants a good phone and doesn't want or need LTE, this is still the phone to get on Verizon.

Quills#WP

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
it's not the biggest or the newest, but I just got mine today (previously owned EVO 4G and palm pixi)...I'm liking it, a lot. The screen on my dinc2 is much more vibrant than my EVO, and feels better in my hand (and pocket) than my EVO ever did.

I digress...

OP, my guess is specs. I prefer the smaller form factor, and straightforward design...but tablet-esque dual core phones seem to be the "in"/popular thing right now. Thus, less traffic in the dinc2 forum.

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
OP, my guess is specs. I prefer the smaller form factor, and straightforward design...but tablet-esque dual core phones seem to be the "in"/popular thing right now. Thus, less traffic in the dinc2 forum.

Well that may be the answer, indirectly. I think tabletesque dual core phones are the in/popular thing with us in the tech geek set - we who visit Android nerd forums. But I doubt they're yet the in/popular thing with the masses. Those people want simpler, smaller, cheaper and don't really know or understand about specs. They also don't visit Android nerd forums. So maybe there aren't many people here because the kind of people who would come to a site like this are also the kind of people who would be more likely to buy the top of the line hotshot phone. It's a hypothesis anyway.

Quills#WP

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Well that may be the answer, indirectly. I think tabletesque dual core phones are the in/popular thing with us in the tech geek set - we who visit Android nerd forums. But I doubt they're yet the in/popular thing with the masses. Those people want simpler, smaller, cheaper and don't really know or understand about specs. They also don't visit Android nerd forums. So maybe there aren't many people here because the kind of people who would come to a site like this are also the kind of people who would be more likely to buy the top of the line hotshot phone. It's a hypothesis anyway.

^true. But, I'm somewhat knowledgeable (albeit frugal), and I picked this phone over the SGII on Sprint and the upcoming SGPrime on VZW[?], and I also visit this forum (among others). Maybe DInc2 owners are just the exception to the rule. :cool:

Specs *sigh*...those in-the-know (and willing to drop coin) seek the best-est, and those not-in-the-know follow. My 2?.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital