Is the Moto X Play a worthy upgrade over the Nexus 5 (2013)?

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I currently have the Nexus 5. I love it, for the most part. It fits my needs fine in most aspects. I have just two issues with the phone and unfortunately they're pretty major; camera quality and battery life. Low light camera performance is abysmal even with OIS and the battery life is extremely short with my usage patterns (mostly YouTube and tons of web browsing).

So I'm questioning whether this phone is suitable for me. I understand that the Snapdragon 615 is a downgrade over the Snapdragon 800 but I'm wondering whether the huge boost in battery and the better camera are worthy trade-offs. Plus, this phone has SD card support which is a huge bonus as well as front-firing speakers, which is an improvement over the Nexus 5.

The other option I have is, of course, the Moto X Style - still torn between waiting for that or getting the Play. I'm wondering how much faster it really is at playing Android games - the Adreno 418 had to power that QHD display while the Adreno 405 only had to power a FHD display with the Play. Will the difference actually balance out when taking display resolution into account?

As for alternatives, unfortunately, the Nexus 5 2015 is releasing too late in the year for my liking - I don't think I can wait until November(ish) to solve my battery life and camera woes. The rumoured Sony Xperia Z5 Compact, while sounding very exciting, will likely be a bit out of my price range for this year - with the Z3 Compact retailing at £429 at launch.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: A worthy upgrade over the Nexus 5?

Im wondering the same thing. I actually gave up on my nexus 5 for the one m8 as the battery life was so poor but the one m8 on lollipop is nowhere near as good as it was in its KitKat days. I feel I need a new phone and the play is appealing.

Personally I hate lag and jerkiness in software so the lower end processor is a concern but will it really matter in real world usage? The battery looks awesome and is exactly what I need. The screen is a good size and a sensible resolution.

I do wonder what the nexus 5 2015 will be and it all comes down to how they price it. The biggest missing feature on the play is the fingerprint sensor which the next nexus will have and is supported in M so its a shame they left it off the Play. How much that matters I don't know but I am a big fan of touch id on the iPhone

Posted via the Android Central App

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: A worthy upgrade over the Nexus 5?

It's a difficult decision - get the play asap or wait for the style. I would like to see a side by side video comparison of both devices.