Issues setting up my P8P

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Just happened again. Phone sitting on the table at lunch. Reddit notification comes in, phone immediately reboots without being touched. Don't know how much I can deal with this.

bkrickles

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Just happened again. Phone sitting on the table at lunch. Reddit notification comes in, phone immediately reboots without being touched. Don't know how much I can deal with this.
Sounds like it's time for an rma.
I've had mine for 24 hours now and it's barely left my hands, with zero reboots.
I'd probably wipe and start from scratch, but that's a pita.

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
So sorry that's happening. Wish I had a clue what to suggest. I guess a factory reset, just to see, especially if you're only going to return it anyway
My only thing is I don't have another several hours to set it up again. I'm supposed to send my P7P back as a trade but I can't afford not to have a working phone.

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
On the phone with Google support right now. Took me almost a half hour to reach someone, so there must be a lot of people calling in right now with issues. The funny thing is, "Hold For Me" was not available while holding for someone at Google to pick up.....go figure. They say they are well aware of the rebooting issue and the tech team is working on a fix. I'm sure that's their written response to every call that comes in. That being said, they are sending me a new phone. I asked why they are sending me a new phone if the techs are working on a fix. That would mean its software not hardware. There was clearly a language barrier, and the response was that a new phone was currently the fix. So here I am now waiting for a new phone in 5-10 business days, and not having an answer if my trade-in is extended because of this reason, or if I'm screwed with that if I don't send it in on time.

After the hour long call I have now purchased a new phone(as per the quicker way) and get to send the old one back to get my payment reimbursed. That being said, the new phone is listed as "fi" while the one I originally ordered was "unlocked". They said it didn't matter, both will work with my att SIM card. I feel extremely uncomfortable with this process working out smoothly.

Last edited:

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
I'm sorry to see you had issues with the new phone and hopefully your new one goes flawless.. the Google FI phone is the same as unlocked so you should have no issues with that phone when it comes...

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
That sucks. I hope you're new phone fixed the issues.

You may consider seeing it up from scratch. I do that with all my new phones and it's amazing the little things that get fixed/improve with a fresh install. It also helps avoid bringing anything bad, even little things, over. Just my opinion

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: I finally received my new P8P yesterday. From the start I could tell it was much better. No glitching or screen flickering while doing the transfer process. No stuttering when scrolling through apps or websites. Battery wasn't losing 10% every half hour.

First time I've ever had to do an RMA with Google, and I go all the way back to the Nexus One. Now all I have to do is send back the original P8P and my P7P trade, then my bank account can breathe a little.