I've got a Pixel C, you've got questions. Fire away!

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi. May be a silly question but does it have a GPS sensor? I can't find any mention of it on Google's Pixel C webpage.

I currently have a Galaxy tab 7.7 (still one of the best quality tablets made but getting old now). It's 340g and I find that a bit heavy after 30 mins or so usage. So a little worried about the weight of this.

The fact that Google stated they will update the s/w every 6 weeks implies to me that they have big plans for this. Sounds exciting so tempted to get one even though I don't really need one.

No GPS afaik

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Hey Phil, here's a question!!!....
Can you use a bluetooth speaker or headset with the Pixel C to play music while the keyboard is paired?
I wasn't aware you could have multiple bluetooth devices connected at the same time.

Haven't tried that yet but I don't know why it wouldn't work.

dcox702

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I want to upgrade my N7 2013 Wifi only, BUT nothing has amazed me yet and the price points are way to high imho. I'm waiting on the N9 32GB to hit 199 and Im sold. Do you think this will honestly replace my ultrabook for mobile production?

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I want to upgrade my N7 2013 Wifi only, BUT nothing has amazed me yet and the price points are way to high imho. I'm waiting on the N9 32GB to hit 199 and Im sold. Do you think this will honestly replace my ultrabook for mobile production?

Depends on what you need to do, really.

dcox702

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
i guess the bigger/better question is, in your mind, is the Pixel C a better solution for mobile production over the N9? I can see the C having a better keyboard, but I won't need that to do what I do. I'm more interested in what is more portable and reliable. It seems the C will be heavier and not so good on the battery life with that crazy nice display.

osiris355

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Phil, do us a favor. Create another profile with your wife's or a friends gmail account. Switch to this account and open up a lot of apps like gmail, hangouts, google photos etc. Then switch back to your account and see how performance is.
Multi user accounts on the nexus 9 brings the tablet to a crawl sometimes and coming from standby it is pretty much unusable for a couple of minutes.

Performance is my main gripe on the nexus 9 so it would be nice to know if the pixel c is similar or better.

Phil, can you please test this out for me?

Jason Rossi

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
i guess the bigger/better question is, in your mind, is the Pixel C a better solution for mobile production over the N9? I can see the C having a better keyboard, but I won't need that to do what I do. I'm more interested in what is more portable and reliable. It seems the C will be heavier and not so good on the battery life with that crazy nice display.

Battery is outstanding. Weight without keyboard is very close to N9

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Hey, folks. I've been playing with the Pixel C for a day now. Working on more stories on the blog side of things. But if you've got questions, I'll find answers. Fire away!

Hey Phil,

I appreciate all your help with the Pixel C!

I think we may have a somewhat larger problem on our hands with this beautiful device. Can you test the wifi download and upload speeds with your Pixel C? I am getting pretty bad download speeds whereas my upload speed is fine. I'm thinking it is an optimization issue instead of a hardware issue. I believe this because if it was a hardware issue (ie metal back, antenna...) both upload and download would be bad. For me only the download is bad.

I have tested this with a desktop, Nexus 6P, and a Note tablet. I have tested with wireless N and AC. The Pixel C is always much slower with download speed in comparison. Again my upload speed is fine.

Thanks for any insight or help with sheding some light on this if needed. I really appreciate it.

Last edited:

purpleclad

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Hey Phil,

I appreciate all your help with the Pixel C!

I think we may have a somewhat larger problem on our hands with this beautiful device. Can you test the wifi download and upload speeds with your Pixel C? I am gettign pretty bad download speeds whereas my upload speed is fine. Im thinking it is an optimizatino issue instead of a hardware issue. I believe this because if it was a hardware issue (ie metal back, antenna...) both uplaod and download would be bad. For me only the download is bad.

I have tested this with a desktop, Nexus 6P, and a Note tablet. I have tested with wireless N and AC. The Pixel C is always much slower with download speed in comparison. Again my upload speed is fine.

Thanks for any insight or help with sheding some light on this if needed. I really appreciate it.

Not my experience. I just tested my Pixel C, Nexus 6, Nexus 6P, and my wife's 5x, and the Pixel had the fastest download and upload speeds out of all of them.

purpleclad

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
You're probably sitting close to your router. Yes then it works fine. Try it from another room, doors closed.

I only have a 20Mbps connection, went to a second floor bedroom with the door shut. Same test, similar results. The Pixel scored every bit as good as the 5x and 6p, all three actually were in the 22-23 Mbps down range, where the Nexus 6 was a little slower, hitting 16-17 Mbps down consistently.

Balti101

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
I only have a 20Mbps connection, went to a second floor bedroom with the door shut. Same test, similar results. The Pixel scored every bit as good as the 5x and 6p, all three actually were in the 22-23 Mbps down range, where the Nexus 6 was a little slower, hitting 16-17 Mbps down consistently.

Hmm, I'm actually happy to hear that. Hopefully it's a problem with some devices. I even tried it with different routers, same slow speed when I'm not close to the router.

purpleclad

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, I'm actually happy to hear that. Hopefully it's a problem with some devices. I even tried it with different routers, same slow speed when I'm not close to the router.

Very odd. Sorry to hear some are having this problem. I've tried over and over and am consistently getting comparable results with all the devices. Replace it through Google.?.?

purpleclad

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Just for further testing, I took the Pixel to my finished basement, just to get a test on all three floors. 28.01 down and 4.82 up. Interestingly, my slowest tests were the ones on the main floor, closest to my router...go figure.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
So I screwed my order and got the filo case instead of the other one. I am just trying to figure out if I want to return the filo case or not.

What is the difference in thickness with both cases on the tablet. Other then the variable hinge what else is a big advantage of the Pixel C keyboard.

Posted via the Android Central App

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
What is weird is that my upload speeds are fine. I tried it without the dock and I still get the slow speeds. Bluetooth off and still the same. I think I will try to take it to a public wifi spot and see if I can get good speeds there. My router is not a piece of junk either and all my other devices are fine including the Nexus 6P. Here is my router:

ASUS RT-AC66U Dual-Band Wireless-AC1750 Gigabit Router

If the masses are not having this issue I may have to do an RMA but so far there have been a couple (including people on the Google nexus support forum) having the same issue. forum located here:

https://productforums.google.com/fo...ce=footer#!msg/nexus/CM9tv3pjTfQ/QY0xGoTMAgAJ

I am "atgosu" there.

It is really a shame because I love this device and it is perfect except for this wifi thing :/

Another note: I am getting the same dBm readings on my Nexus 6P and the Pixel C so it seems to be getting the same signal strength (around -67 dBm where I do my testing).

I sent a formal feedback report via "Settings>>Help and Feedback" as the developers will be able to see it and hopefully give some insight.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
offline050