I've got the Xperia Z1. You've got questions. Let's do this.

same_game_name

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Also have you experienced any crashes or other bugs yet with any apps like the browser, keyboard, or home screen? If so, how fast does it become responsive again?

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Curious to know why you?re not a fan of the screen protector? (that can be removed ? with a little work ? but as the SONY logo is baked on to the screen protector you will lose that if removed). Having seen a few videos where the screen has been tested with knives, blades etc, the screen protector did an amazing job at protecting the screen.

What disadvantage is there to having it on the phone?
The main reason is you have a glass phone that feels like plastic. And removing it is a bad idea, as the oleophobic layer is applied to the screen protector, not the screen. I've also seen pics of people who've had adhesive and other stuff left behind after removing the protector. Sony clearly doesn't want you removing it.

Any release date for the USA yet...every other phone that has been announced recently has at least started taking preorders...I hope they don't wait as long as they did with the z and the technology in it gets outdated
Who knows. No US availability has been announced yet. The original Z took long enough coming to Tmo US.

tell us about screen plz.some pics would be nice
I'll have more pics in the review. It's very nice from straight on, but it still has some viewing angle issues ? not as bad as the Z or T/TL though.

How much ram is left after the OS and how much ram is left after the bloatware loads after boot?

(Reason I ask is the Ion only had about 600MB left of 1GB and then bloatware would take about 200 of that.)
1600MB of so is visible to the phone. Around 900MB is free at boot. Remember free RAM is wasted RAM, though.

zeromaru

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
How does the screen compare to other phones like the HTC One, Optimus G, LG G2? (color acuracy, saturation, viewing angles, outdoor visibility)

I can't understand how the camera is not simply "the best" in all android phones...

And i am puzzled about the screen and back having a plastic screen protector that's hard to remove... does it have gorilla glass or something like that behind the plastic ? :/

---

EDIT: Free RAM = wasted ram only if you launch new stuff and the old stuff remains in ram :p (i know how things work, but i had a terrible experience on my galaxy nexus :p)

csmall

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
What is the problem with the US? Is it Sony or the carriers? No speculation please, if you know for sure please elaborate.

Posted via Android Central App

B1GDAZ

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I can't get the button on the earphones to work to play/pause or skip to the next track. I have tried it with both the Sony ones you get with it and my other Bose earphones but no joy.

Have you tested this? is it a bug or just the way Sony do it (first Sony phone)

Cheers
Daz

jonathan3579

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
How's the speaker(s?) on it; quality and loudness? The Xperia Z speaker was one of the reasons why I didn't buy it. (Screen and the old processor were the next two.)

Alex Dobie

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Also have you experienced any crashes or other bugs yet with any apps like the browser, keyboard, or home screen? If so, how fast does it become responsive again?
Bugs? Yep. https://twitter.com/alexdobie/status/380717924861755393

What is the us availability ? I am on Sprint, Sony has 0 Xperia phones currently is there any chance it will come to Sprint?
No idea. ATT or Tmo would be your best bet.

Have you tested it under water yet?
Not yet. Used it in the rain for a bit yesterday.

How does the screen compare to other phones like the HTC One, Optimus G, LG G2? (color acuracy, saturation, viewing angles, outdoor visibility)

I can't understand how the camera is not simply "the best" in all android phones...

And i am puzzled about the screen and back having a plastic screen protector that's hard to remove... does it have gorilla glass or something like that behind the plastic ? :/

---

EDIT: Free RAM = wasted ram only if you launch new stuff and the old stuff remains in ram :p (i know how things work, but i had a terrible experience on my galaxy nexus :p)
Colors are up there with the HTC One (maybe a *little* less vivid but with darker blacks). Viewing angles are still subpar.

I can't get the button on the earphones to work to play/pause or skip to the next track. I have tried it with both the Sony ones you get with it and my other Bose earphones but no joy.

Have you tested this? is it a bug or just the way Sony do it (first Sony phone)

Cheers
Daz
Which app?

May 3, 2013
Visit site
androidcentral please we need camera shootout full resolution pictures uploaded on your website between (Sony z1) vs (Nokia1020) vs (Note3) vs (iphone 5s) vs (LG G2) before i buy my new phone im waiting for this and my decision has to do alot with this because i take alot of family pictures

Sinabu

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I was going to get the ZL because of the smaller size, red color and IR sensors. Even though it's a but older tech. Do you think it's really worth waiting for the US version of the Z1. I have a lumia 920 now so even the ZL would be a upgrade specs wise. Just wondering if the Z1 would be worth the wait.

Alex Dobie

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I was going to get the ZL because of the smaller size, red color and IR sensors. Even though it's a but older tech. Do you think it's really worth waiting for the US version of the Z1. I have a lumia 920 now so even the ZL would be a upgrade specs wise. Just wondering if the Z1 would be worth the wait.
I'd normally say wait, but who knows how long it'll take to hit the US. And there are plenty of awesome Android phones already on the US market.

GarDeady

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your response earlier Alex!

One more question ? have you tried Social Live? Does it work perfectly? Or have you come across any issues? Have you tried it on 3G/4G or WiFi?

Sinabu

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
^^

Thanks Alex. This would be my first android phone and I really like the looks and designs of both the ZL and the Z series ones from Sony. How long did the Z take before it was out in the US do you remember? I'm just unfamiliar with android releases and what Sony's History has been. It seems like the Z line has been kind of neglected in the US market by them. I wish they would just announce something. Even if its months off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MansiDaware