Jellybean 4.1.2 available now at kies for att skyrocket

Michael Franks

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I cannot upgrade to latest Kies. Keeps saying the trey agent is in process. Windows 7 64 bit machine. Have the skyrocket. I am at the point where I am going give up upgrading my phone... Kies is not worth it...

Travis Cannon

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the US & I'm having 2 issues

#1 Kies keeps asking for me to upgrade to version 2.5.3.13033_7 even after I uninstalled every trace of kies and downloaded Kies from samsung.

#2 when I try to upgrade, I get a message that it "can not stop kies tray agent process, please re-boot your computer"

Did all of that and I get all the same messages

Help!!! I can't upgrade my S2, until all of the above is resolved.

Dave

I get the same thing! I've tried running it in admin mode, I've rebooted, and I've uninstalled Kies completely, back to Samsung to download the latest version, which only gave me the same version that needed updating!

I'm on Win 7 and use MSE for antivirus. Any luck?

RCA1186

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the US & I'm having 2 issues

#1 Kies keeps asking for me to upgrade to version 2.5.3.13033_7 even after I uninstalled every trace of kies and downloaded Kies from samsung.

#2 when I try to upgrade, I get a message that it "can not stop kies tray agent process, please re-boot your computer"

Did all of that and I get all the same messages

Help!!! I can't upgrade my S2, until all of the above is resolved.

Dave

Found the fix on here. Go into Kies, when it prompts to update don't click anything. Press control+shift+escape and open the task manager. Go to processes, scroll down to the kies tray agent, and manually end the process. Then, click update in kies, should work from there

Travis Cannon

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Found the fix on here. Go into Kies, when it prompts to update don't click anything. Press control+shift+escape and open the task manager. Go to processes, scroll down to the kies tray agent, and manually end the process. Then, click update in kies, should work from there

I utilized Facebook and found the Samsung support page and liked it, then posted my problem. This is what they've told me, and thus far, it seems to be working:

1). Open KIES
2). Disconnect all devices
3). Open Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + ESC [escape])
4). Click on Processes
5). Click on "Image Name," this alphabetizes the whole process list
6). Scroll down to KIES processes, including KiesTrayAgent, KiesPBLR, and KIES Air Agent
7). Right click and End Process Tree on all three of the above processes
. Keep Task Manager open, and go into KIES
9). Click "Help" at the top
10). Click "Check for Updates"
11). You might have to repeat this process a few more times before it actually works, sometimes user error can be a stop in the steps.

I'm presently wrapping up the upgrade now. Best of luck to you all! :)

pittiemama

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I followed the steps they gave you, but I'm getting Kies all grayed out after it downloads the firmware update. I can't select any of the menus and it looks like the phone is no longer connected to it. My phone just acts like it's plugged in to the USB to charge. Thoughts? I've tried this on my old Vista and new Win 8 laptops, can't get it to work.

jtmcduffie

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
My fix was to open the task manager when that message pops up - kill off both the "Kies tray agent" and the "Kies PDLR" (or something like that) service - and it will restart the Kies program and ask you again to upgrade - it should work.

Simon Jones2

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Have to say, I'm finding the phone almost unusable after the update. It's taking up well over 600MB of the ~700MB of TRAM even after I access all programs and recover the RAM - actually, I can get it down to about 504, but it creeps up immediately. Anyone have any idea of utilities I could turn off to push this down? In the meanwhile, it takes a good 4 seconds to open the browser, or really anything else - like I say, effectively unusable - sort of like loading Windows 8 onto a 2007 netbook!

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
NOt sure what my issue is with SwiftKey, but if I set it as the keyboard and reboot my phone 100% of the time it will go back to Samsung Keyboard. The only keyboards that remain set as default are those in the phone's ROM. I can use Swype (the pre-loaded one) and it never resets. If I use SwiftKey, it will reset everytime I reboot my phone, and additionally randomly during the day multiple times. It makes the keyboard unusable, so I uninstalled it and just use Swype.

I always factory reset and clear cache after any FW update that is a major Android update (GB to ICS or ICS to JB, for example), so that can't be the issue.

Never had any issue with GMail lagging. Phone is as swift as ever. That being said, I use Outlook.com for most of my email, so I don't spend much time at all in GMail.

I will note that most of the visual changes to my Skyrocket under JB make it look just like my buddy's S3. The difference is that his screen is slightly bigger in both dimensions, and so things (like the Notification Shade info) just look like they "fit" better. Even though mine's only 0.3" inches smaller, stuff just looks "shoehorned" into my Skyrocket by comparison.
That's the intent. It uses the same TW Nature UX as the Galaxy S3. Issue is, TW Nature was really designed for 720p screen resolution, and the GS2 devices only have WVGA (Samsung stayed with WVGA and didn't move to qHD like Motorola and HTC did). The lower screen resolution makes those elements take up a larger "effective" area of the screen than on the GS3. It is not that annoying on that phone, as it is on ours.

@ Simon Jones: My phone has 788 MB of usable RAM (not reserved for other things like GPU, etc.). Some of that used RAM is cached processes. It's code put there in case it's needed, but not necessarily running code. PCs do this. All modern operating systems do this. It boosts performance. If the RAM is needed, the unused processes are simply discarded to make room, and there is not much overhead for this since RAM is fast and the OS can theoretically do this without any extra work by just overwriting those areas in RAM. It is not really a performance hit, certainly not a big one. My browser certainly doesn't take 4 seconds to open. 1 second or less.

If you're constantly only able to get it down to 504MB, then I think you need to look into what applications you actually have installed on your device and troubleshoot with that as a start. I don't have many apps installed on my phone, so my phone doesn't tend to cache rogue apps/games that hog RAM.

deadlock4400

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
on AT&T forum, there are only 2/3 users can installed JB for Skyrocket. Others had to replaced the phone. Same problem was happened last time while ICS upgrade from Gingerbread.

AT&T should make this type of OS upgrade via OTA and Kies both ways.

SAMSUNG

The above link you can follow for skyrocket update.

before upgrade use factory restore properly to format your skyrocket and also do the same after upgrade.

Screen Resolution: 1024 x 768

Required software: Microsoft .Net Framework v3.5 SP1 or later, Windows Media Player 11 or later DirectX v9.0 or later,

better use windows classic theme.

are very important. also you have to disable the firewall of windows, disable the antivirus, windows defender.

of course kies should be installed properly with latest version.

Thanks in Advance

meekrap

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I have been trying to upgrade my galaxy note from 4.0.4 to 4.1.2 . enormous and very frustrating.this is supposed to be self and easy but when ever i get to the screen which on my phone which says now downloading the program on my phone(the final stage) a little screen pops up and tells me the system does not recognize my phone ,take the battery out and ..........and start the download again. a red sign appears at the top of my phone saying coin mode.i have switched computers and used windows 8 and windows 7 home premium to no avail .i have repeated this procedure more than 10x but cannot update this.could some body help me please .my kies was downloaded from the link from Samsung.

jldoom

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
They should've offered an OTA option rather than pushing Kies as the only option. I don't plan to do this upgrade (happy with my CM ROM), but would like to hear what you think of 4.1.2 with TouchWiz. :)

I've just flashed my phone to CM 10 (first ROM I've flashed!), figured since it's spoken about so highly it'd be the best bet. Man I'm so happy I did though! It feels like a brand new phone and a lot better than having to deal with Kies, seeing as I'm on a Macbook. I had to use my cousins PC last time to upgrade from Gingerbread to ICS and that's not an option this time around either.

K8ybug

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. Upgraded last night, and now my screenshot doesn't work (Home + Power). Instead, the task manager pops up. I contacted Samsung tech support, she told me it should now be the Volume Down + Power. That doesn't work either. I HATE the thought of not being able to screenshot anymore. I probably use that feature more than anything else on my phone. :'(

K8ybug

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. Upgraded last night, and now my screenshot doesn't work (Home + Power). Instead, the task manager pops up. I contacted Samsung tech support, she told me it should now be the Volume Down + Power. That doesn't work either. I HATE the thought of not being able to screenshot anymore. I probably use that feature more than anything else on my phone. :'(

Of COURSE I figure this out right after I post this. It's still Home + Power, but you have to hit/hold them at the EXACT same moment. Kind of a pain, actually. But at least it works.

Tony04022

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Just upgraded to 4.1.2 from KIES and now my Skyrocket does not recognize any wi-fi connections. Anyone have this problem? If so, any advice on how to correct this issue?

jludwig57

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Just upgraded to 4.1.2 from KIES and now my Skyrocket does not recognize any wi-fi connections. Anyone have this problem? If so, any advice on how to correct this issue?

You have to reenter the information for your wifi connections because they went away in your upgrade.

titanfannatl

May 27, 2013
Visit site
The last KIES update went well. This one is a crap shoot! ESET is off, KIES is updated and nothing. It starts and completes the update file download, then KIES goes off and nothing happens. About ready to tell Samsung just what I feel about KIES.

E
same thing is happening to me did you find a work around? my only other option is to try a different computer to attempt the update.

titanfannatl

May 27, 2013
Visit site
tried updating on a different system running windows 8 kies wouldn't even detect the current firmware version. So I have come to the conclusion that i either never going to get jellybean or kies is going to have to be updated so that it will work properly. Anyone complained to Samsung yet because I've heard that if enough people complain to the right people something gets done.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz