Substratum Beta for Samsung UX (No Root) now available.

ihearlivepplz

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
*In order to get started, you will need to make sure your Samsung device is running Android Nougat (7.0+); then, you need to become a member of*their Telegram group. Be aware that the group is highly moderated, so read the rules and behave accordingly. Once you join their telegram group, you’ll find the APK in the pinned section of the group, under their group name (under Files, accessing through the three-dot menu). To apply a theme, you must proceed by*following the instructions found on this thread*by Recognized Developer and substratum developer*nicholaschum,. In the words of nicholaschum:

First, you will need to install the APK from the pinned section of the group (under the group name)Download a theme that doesn’t rely on Android System or theme ready Google Apps, so like Swift Black or Swift Dark on Play Store.Once you install the theme, Substratum will throw a notification saying that a new theme has been installedOpen the theme in Substratum and click on the app (one at a time for now only) and click the button on the bottom right.Click Install and let it compile. It will ask to install an APK to your device. Install it.Reboot or force close the app in Settings to apply the theme to that app.(ATTENTION)*It is highly recommended NOT to apply Android System and SystemUI elements as of yet.

Last edited:

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
This might be a silly question, but would you happen to know if this might affect updates in any way for the apps the themes are applied for, or can we update as usual and the theme will stick?

Btw, thank you for posting this. Very exciting!

ihearlivepplz

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
This might be a silly question, but would you happen to know if this might affect updates in any way for the apps the themes are applied for, or can we update as usual and the theme will stick?

Btw, thank you for posting this. Very exciting!

No root, no blocked updates! I personally wouldn't have applied this so early on in the life cycle of the phone if it would have made updates harder. Also, yes, super exciting and im surprised there are millions of Galaxy S series users but nobody seems to really care. I have a BlackBerry Priv also and their forums are much busier :x

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
No root, no blocked updates! I personally wouldn't have applied this so early on in the life cycle of the phone if it would have made updates harder. Also, yes, super exciting and im surprised there are millions of Galaxy S series users but nobody seems to really care. I have a BlackBerry Priv also and their forums are much busier :x

Nice, thanks! What theme are you using? I'm looking at slick black right now. Looks freaking perfect! And also I notice they recommend not theming any system apps or UI elements, but have you taken that risk by any chance? And if so, any issues you've come across?

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
So I just went ahead and installed slick black and installed for all the available apps... this might just be the best thing since sliced bread. Thanks again for posting! What a way to end the week 😎

ihearlivepplz

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Nice, thanks! What theme are you using? I'm looking at slick black right now. Looks freaking perfect! And also I notice they recommend not theming any system apps or UI elements, but have you taken that risk by any chance? And if so, any issues you've come across?

I use Swift Black and N Navbar for now. A few others that I was interested in aren't currently compatible (status bar and Emoji mods) They do recommend that you don't theme the System Ui and Android system packages but everything else is fine. System apps aren't a problem. I strongly recommend that you don't mess with anything that isn't recommended either.

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
I use Swift Black and N Navbar for now. A few others that I was interested in aren't currently compatible (status bar and Emoji mods) They do recommend that you don't theme the System Ui and Android system packages but everything else is fine. System apps aren't a problem. I strongly recommend that you don't mess with anything that isn't recommended either.

Yea I meant Swift black, I don't know why I kept writing slick black. Looks so damn beautiful lol

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for this info.
I did not know this was possible.
I am rocking Swift Black and I LOVE the dark theming to Facebook, Google, GMail, Tapatalk and especially the return of my black Nav Bar.
Very happy.

Mav.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332