Jewelry store manager called the cops on me because she said I was hacking the credit card machine

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Stopped by the mall this afternoon. I wanted to pick up some diamond earrings as birthday present for my lady friend. I already knew what I wanted because I was at the store last weekend. This store is probably one of the three biggest jewelry chains in the country. I showed the clerk the ones I wanted. She put them in the store's own fancy gift box and asked me how I wanted to pay. I said credit card. The store's credit card machine was next to the register, behind the counter.

I told her that I need to touch credit card machine with my Note 5 to pay. She said they didn't have those touch to pay machines yet. I assured her that it would work She was skeptical, but allowed me to walk behind the counter with my Note 5. The transaction went through within 3 seconds. At that moment, the store manager walk over and told her there was no way that she was letting me walk out of the store with $3000 earrings without paying. The clerk showed the manager that the transaction went through and the receipt had already printed. (even the approval code was clearly visible) The manager didn't buy it for a second. She insisted on seeing my actual credit card. She said the store's credit card machine definitely was not set up to take payment from iPhones.(didn't want to correct her that it was an Android phone... Galaxy Note 5)

I didn't have my credit card with me. All I had was my driver's license in the folio case of my Note 5. She was having none of that. I tried to show her on my phone what Samsung Pay was. She refused to listen and was already on the phone with someone. I didn't realize she had called the cops. The local county cops must have already been somewhere inside the mall because they showed up in less than 2 minutes.

The cops sided with the store manager and insisted that I must pay for the earrings. I told them to look at the receipt which clearly said I had paid. One of the cops ask "how did it show him as paid if he didn't have a credit card with him?" The manager FALSELY accuse me of running some kind of credit hacking using my iPhone.(again, NOT iPhone!!!)

I couldn't leave the store with the earrings because I had already PAID! This went back and forth for 15 minutes. I even showed videos from Samsung's own YouTube channel on how Samsung Pay worked. Finally, the store manager's district manager called the store back and they talked on the phone for another 5 minutes. Finally they agree that I had indeed paid for the $3000 earrings. At that point, I was hopping mad and I told them I didn't want the earrings. I wanted a refund. So the clerk started processing a refund. I gave her my Note 5 to touch the credit card machine so there's no misunderstanding. The refund went through and a refund receipt printed out.

As I was leaving the store, the manager still looked at me like I was a hacker trying to rob the store. She said "don't you come here no more with your hacking iPhone or I'll send your white *** to the poe-lease..." :( The cops turned and looked at her like "don't call us for stupid things like this again...." :)

I give up. What is wrong with people these days? :(

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Reminds me of a stop I made many decades ago on Interstate 95, at one of the "cheap cigarette" stores that used to line it in North Carolina. I tried to pay with an American Express traveler's check, and the clerk accused me of trying to pass counterfeit money. Luckily the state police officer who responded had about half a clue. (Didn't get the cigarettes, but didn't get arrested for trying to pass funny money.)

What's up with people is that their intelligence isn't with some. (And they lost all your future business.) You could write a polite letter to their corporate headquarters explaining the situation, and letting them know that you'll never walk into that store again. (Mention the threat, and don't *** out the bad part.) Corporations spend thousands of dollars to get one customer - having a store manager lose them what it's going to take a couple of months of her salary for them to get (one new customer to replace you) will probably cost her an education and her job.

At the local supermarket, at least they know that their machines don't take chipped cards yet - they tell you that you still have to swipe them. (But threatening a customer is just a no-no, even if the customer WAS a thief. You just don't run a business that way.)

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Reminds me of a stop I made many decades ago on Interstate 95, at one of the "cheap cigarette" stores that used to line it in North Carolina.

I know exactly which cigarette shops you're talking about! :) I see them all the time driving up/down I-95.

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
At a minimum, you ought to slam the store on Twitter. Both Samsung and the jewelry chain need to hear about this. It shows Samsung that they really need to step up the advertising and outreach, and it will show the jewelry chain that they have some bad employees that are creating a huge problem. (You could probably sue the store for false accusations!)

Mr_Bugman

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Wow. I got mad just reading this story. All of that along with the racial comment I would absolutely follow up with this with the corporate office.

I'm sure Samsung would be interested in this story as well.

Not even sure what else to say. I had a cashier physically push my phone away and that alone was upsetting. This went way beyond that.

Posted via the Android Central App

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I can understand how you feel -- I doubt I'd pursue a suit either. But, I'd call the company's upper management about that store manager. She should lose her job. Both the way she treated you and called the police and the racial comment merit instant dismissal.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I can understand how you feel -- I doubt I'd pursue a suit either. But, I'd call the company's upper management about that store manager. She should lose her job. Both the way she treated you and called the police and the racial comment merit instant dismissal.

Well... there are more people who deserve some blame. Samsung Pay need to inform ALL merchants who accept credit cards about this new technology. The credit card processing company should have done the same. The jewelry store corporate should also train their employees better in modern technologies.

The store manager was both right and wrong. She was making sure that a $3000 item didn't leave the store. Not really her fault that nobody sent her memos about Samsung Pay. I tried to put myself in her shoes. I probably would have been very suspicious. Obviously that did not excuse the way she behaved, but that's another matter.

ajterrell

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
I agree that Samsung really needs to do a much better job informing merchants. It's an amazing pay system and they've dropped the ball on marketing because it could sell millions more phones. I was rejected from using Samsung pay at the Koreatown ABC Plaza market. When I tried to give my phone to the cashier, she called over the owner and manager and they both firmly told me I couldn't use it. The irony of a Korean product not being able to be used in Koreatown Los Angeles. Crazy!!

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I agree that Samsung really needs to do a much better job informing merchants. It's an amazing pay system and they've dropped the ball on marketing because it could sell millions more phones. I was rejected from using Samsung pay at the Koreatown ABC Plaza market. When I tried to give my phone to the cashier, she called over the owner and manager and they both firmly told me I couldn't use it. The irony of a Korean product not being able to be used in Koreatown Los Angeles. Crazy!!
It really has nothing to do with the nationality of the people who work at a store.

There are tech-savvy and non tech-savvy folks of all nationalities.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
It really has nothing to do with the nationality of the people who work at a store.

There are tech-savvy and non tech-savvy folks of all nationalities.

Out of the blue, the regional manager of the store called me yesterday afternoon. I guess regional manager is the district manager's boss? Anyway, I'm not sure why because I never complained verbally or otherwise. They probably had my phone number in the computer or something. He offered his apology... wait not exactly, he only said "regret that this incident took place..." Does that count as an apology. I guess they don't want to use the word "apologize" as that may imply legal responsibility. Whatever... :) He asked me to confirm my home address and he was shipping me a complimentary $250 gift card that can be used any any of their locations or via the website. He gave me his direct number, in case I should encounter any further problems with the store.

He used FedEx overnight and I just received the gift card a few minutes ago. Awesome! I'll probably just use the $250 gift card on their website or their other store across the river. Don't really feel like going back to the same store and deal with the same employees. :D

Hendri Hendri

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site
Out of the blue, the regional manager of the store called me yesterday afternoon. I guess regional manager is the district manager's boss? Anyway, I'm not sure why because I never complained verbally or otherwise. They probably had my phone number in the computer or something. He offered his apology... wait not exactly, he only said "regret that this incident took place..." Does that count as an apology. I guess they don't want to use the word "apologize" as that may imply legal responsibility. Whatever... :) He asked me to confirm my home address and he was shipping me a complimentary $250 gift card that can be used any any of their locations or via the website. He gave me his direct number, in case I should encounter any further problems with the store.

He used FedEx overnight and I just received the gift card a few minutes ago. Awesome! I'll probably just use the $250 gift card on their website or their other store across the river. Don't really feel like going back to the same store and deal with the same employees. :D

At least they have a good intention. Good management

jonesyvoor

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I read about this. Samsung is getting aggressive. It's their newest promotion whereby participating retailers will issue you a $250 bonus gift card for using Samsung pay.

The conditions state that the attempted purchase must be made via a new Samsung phone and you must be accused of fraud by the participating retailer between Nov 1st and Nov 20th, 2015.

deibid

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
My experience today wasn't as way out there like with OP, but I used Samsung Pay twice today and had less than smooth experiences.

Don't get me wrong, Samsung Pay works GREAT! :)

It's those cashiers that got in the way today. :/

First purchase: Bought a little accessory at Guitar Center. For some stupid reason, the cashier wanted to see my plastic card as well as my ID. I obliged, but I also stood my ground. I told her I was still going to use my Samsung Pay to actually do the transaction anyways. She was suspicious for sure but since I was so adamant, she was like "I'm gonna still want to know the last 4 digits of your card." I said "FINE. I'll read you the digital 4 digits." And it all went fine. But seriously? ID and plastic card and 4 digits? For a $15 accessory?

Second purchase: I went to grab a couple items at my local Stop & Shop supermarket. I've used it there literally like 10+ times over the past couple weeks, with no issues. But tonight, the teenage-looking cashier says something like "Oh, we don't take phone payments." And she calls over her supervisor. By this time, the transaction already went through on my Samsung Pay and I told her to just print the receipt please.. And sure enough she realized her error and she was like "never mind, I just never saw something like this before." The bagging girl shouts to her colleagues, "Yo, this dude just used a phone to buy his stuff. That's SICK!" I walked out with a bit of a wink to the supervisor-looking lady, who winked back at me as if she knew what was up, although it was clear she didn't know either. Lol

As I came home I realized... deep down I can't blame any of those cashiers for this. Really I blame Apple for this. Why? Apple Pay has been out for a long time, and it doesn't work in most places. So, shops and cashiers all across the country have this preconceived notion that mobile payments just won't work unless they make special terminal mods or something. Until Samsung Pay really goes viral and everyone knows about it, I'm happy to prove them wrong one cashier at a time like you all are doing. :D

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
As I came home I realized... deep down I can't blame any of those cashiers for this. Really I blame Apple for this. Why? Apple Pay has been out for a long time, and it doesn't work in most places. So, shops and cashiers all across the country have this preconceived notion that mobile payments just won't work unless they make special terminal mods or something. Until Samsung Pay really goes viral and everyone knows about it, I'm happy to prove them wrong one cashier at a time like you all are doing. :D

I agree, although I think the blame rests with Samsung for not promoting and advertising it more aggressively.

The thing about Apple is, in, say, three years, after they license the Loop technology from Samsung, the media will be full of reports, "Apple introduces new mobile payment approach that revolutionizes industry." Happens every time. I can't *think* of anything an iPhone has ever done that I haven't had for some time on my Android (and before that Windows Mobile, Pocket PC, and Palm).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lather7753