Jumped ship -- Coming back?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
"looks better" in what way? In any other mode besides Basic the Note 7 display is not color accurate. That's choosing to make it worse.

The iPhone 7 display will be color accurate with no option to make it any other way.

You can prefer the inaccurate colors of the other display modes on the Note 7, but those are technically worse.

Display mate and color gamut measurements suggest the Note 7 is accurate and best display to date. Not sure how you derive this, but does not matter really in either case. Like what you like.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Display mate and color gamut measurements suggest the Note 7 is accurate and best display to date. Not sure how you derive this, but does not matter really in either case. Like what you like.

We could get into how DisplayMate makes money, but we'll leave that for another day.

The Note 7 and the iPhone 7/7 Plus are both accurate enough that you won't be able to discern the differences, but only when the Note 7 is in Basic Mode. The other modes are not color accurate.

Not sure what you're point is, I deferred to "liking what you like" even if that means you like a technically inaccurate color mode.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Not my experience and have my son and friends at work to compare, so I guess different perspectives. Enjoy your iPhone :)

Not really a good comparison when you're using your son's and friends phones because they may use them differently than you. I've been using my Note 7 and iPhone 6s Plus at the same time for several days and attempted to use them at the same time for the same tasks but activating the max power savings while my Note 7 is not used in my pocket. The Note 7 drains faster when idle while in max power savings. I can't get through the day without plugging it in during the middle of the day. I also have my LG Watch LTE 2nd edition tethered to the Note 7 and my Apple Watch tethered to my iPhone 6s Plus.

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm a hardcore Android nerd. Been with the platform for like 7 years. I got all pissy with Samsung.com so I bought a 6s+ locally for not a whole lot.

Updated to iOS 10 and it's...not bad, actually. Effectively everyone I know has iPhones, so having iMessage is kinda nice to be honest. Plus I have an iPad Pro 12" and iMac...so things tie together quite well.

I don't know if I can stick with it though. Too many things I miss about Android. iOS has come quite a long way though (please leave the childish trolling out of this). I have the Apple pencil for the iPad Pro, so note taking, although not as portable, is there.

I'll probably stick with the Note 7 and sell the iPhone, but only if Samsung.com figures out a way to take care of it's customers. If they only offer a return and re-buy, I'm out. I know that may sound shallow, but I just can't reward the company after how they've treated their direct customers. No loaner, no exchange, no return label (going on 2 weeks). It's frustrating and I'm starting to think iOS is the way I should go for a while, maybe longer. It's pretty nice to have everything tie-in together, quite nicely at that.

As I get older, not having to install app disabler programs, fiddle with a thousand settings to get it working properly and troubleshooting things is quite peaceful. I've ROM'd and hacked on Nexus phones and many other Android devices in the past - all fun, but all fading in interest to me these days. Yes the Note 7 works quite well, but it's still fiddly to be honest. And being constantly behind with software support was never appealing. Nexus/Pixel devices are the "fix" but bare bones, IMO (I've had them all...relax, no, not the Pixel, duh).

Ball is in Samsung's court at this point, as fickle as that may sound. I just want this thing replaced like next week if possible. Every day that passes with the 6+ makes me just want to give up on all of this. If they can't sort out a swap program, I may just wait a few months, re-visit the idea and buy one at like 40% off. $900 after tax is...a lot of money. (paid $500 for a mint 6s+ 128gig)...a premium price commands premium service, which Samsung.com customers are not receiving at all so far.

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm a hardcore Android nerd. Been with the platform for like 7 years. I got all pissy with Samsung.com so I bought a 6s+ locally for not a whole lot.

Updated to iOS 10 and it's...not bad, actually. Effectively everyone I know has iPhones, so having iMessage is kinda nice to be honest. Plus I have an iPad Pro 12" and iMac...so things tie together quite well.

I don't know if I can stick with it though. Too many things I miss about Android. iOS has come quite a long way though (please leave the childish trolling out of this). I have the Apple pencil for the iPad Pro, so note taking, although not as portable, is there.

I'll probably stick with the Note 7 and sell the iPhone, but only if Samsung.com figures out a way to take care of it's customers. If they only offer a return and re-buy, I'm out. I know that may sound shallow, but I just can't reward the company after how they've treated their direct customers. No loaner, no exchange, no return label (going on 2 weeks). It's frustrating and I'm starting to think iOS is the way I should go for a while, maybe longer. It's pretty nice to have everything tie-in together, quite nicely at that.

As I get older, not having to install app disabler programs, fiddle with a thousand settings to get it working properly and troubleshooting things is quite peaceful. I've ROM'd and hacked on Nexus phones and many other Android devices in the past - all fun, but all fading in interest to me these days. Yes the Note 7 works quite well, but it's still fiddly to be honest. And being constantly behind with software support was never appealing. Nexus/Pixel devices are the "fix" but bare bones, IMO (I've had them all...relax, no, not the Pixel, duh).

Ball is in Samsung's court at this point, as fickle as that may sound. I just want this thing replaced like next week if possible. Every day that passes with the 6+ makes me just want to give up on all of this. If they can't sort out a swap program, I may just wait a few months, re-visit the idea and buy one at like 40% off. $900 after tax is...a lot of money. (paid $500 for a mint 6s+ 128gig)...a premium price commands premium service, which Samsung.com customers are not receiving at all so far.
I can't disagree. The iPhone works well. I wouldn't blame you for keeping it.

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I can't disagree. The iPhone works well. I wouldn't blame you for keeping it.

A civil response. I'm actually surprised, thanks. The logical side of me says just stick with the iPhone, but the nerd in me misses my Note 7. At this point, the coin flip is up to Samsung.com's broken *** handling of this. If they fix it next week, I'll stay. If not, bye. I travel for work a lot so I can't sit home and wait for FedEx to roll up whenever Samsung feels like fixing this.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Getting ready to return mine and stay until the N8 arrives or a better price.
They would have to take a couple hundred bucks off to interest me. Checking out V20. Might even go nuts and try iPhone 7. I've never owned one.

I would have to wait a couple of months just to be sure issues are solved and airlines lift restrictions.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I bought a 7 Plus on Friday. I have to say that iOS 10 is a welcome update and the phone is very fast. However, I don't like the insanely high SAR rating (a lot worse than on the previous model, even though the latter was already lousy in this department - talking about the European models here). It's also heavy and not very ergonomic in my opinion. The camera is ok, but not better than the Note's in terms of IQ. Camera-wise, the deal breaker on the iPhone is the slow autofocus in low light. Tried to take some pictures of the kids inside the house yesterday: not a chance. Overall, it's a stupendously expensive phone that is pleasant to use but not necessarily the best choice for professionals who are constantly on the phone (SAR rating, weight), doesn't have the greatest camera due to slow AF and costs way too much.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
A civil response. I'm actually surprised, thanks. The logical side of me says just stick with the iPhone, but the nerd in me misses my Note 7. At this point, the coin flip is up to Samsung.com's broken *** handling of this. If they fix it next week, I'll stay. If not, bye. I travel for work a lot so I can't sit home and wait for FedEx to roll up whenever Samsung feels like fixing this.

Even when they fix it the FAA wont let you use it on a plane.

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Even when they fix it the FAA wont let you use it on a plane.

Well Mr. FAA can walk up the aisle and arrest me. At some point, this hysteria will be reversed. As fast as the CPSC/media/FAA went bezerk about the exploding phone, the can issue a statement to all airlines to reverse it.

Will the little black square, "S" sticker and supposed green battery indicator help? Of course not. But clarification from the authorities who started this hysteria can.

There will be conflicts. There will be arguments. I'm sure there will also be news stories about someone getting thrown off the plane/arrested upon landing for not complying with a flight attendant.

If that person has a "revised" Note 7, I smell a lawsuit. It's a mess for sure, but it will fade in time. Question is how long? Needs to be soon since next week will be a surge in replaced phones. Those people fly too. The FAA should be as hyper aware of this change as they were with the bad news.

Torm558

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
I've been back using my 6s plus for a few days now after returning my note 7. While this phone is very smooth and fast, that's about where it ends. It doesn't have the features that my note 7 did, camera quality is way down, even just basic usage, it's just not the same quality experience

I only returned mine as I was frustrated with the Samsung Canada exchange process and gives me an opportunity to purchase through Costco and get the extra perks when they are out again.

I've had iPhones for over 6 years and I recommend them to many people as they are a great phone right out of the box without needing tweaks.

Only thing I like about the iPhone 7 is the very powerful processor and gpu they stuffed into it. But I really believe the processor in the s7 and note 7 has plenty more room in it to grow, that part comes down to the android optimization needing some more refinements

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Good luck to all of those who jumped to another OS because of a non-OS related technical defect. We all have our reasons and that's all we need if we're going to spend our hard earned dollars on a device. I actually do not know when I will get my iPhone 7 plus but I'm actually far more anxious to get my Note 7 replaced so I can use it as my primary again.

Victor Hernandez Jr

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
Good luck to all of those who jumped to another OS because of a non-OS related technical defect. We all have our reasons and that's all we need if we're going to spend our hard earned dollars on a device. I actually do not know when I will get my iPhone 7 plus but I'm actually far more anxious to get my Note 7 replaced so I can use it as my primary again.

I acutally just cancel my iPhone 7+ order. Gonna stick it out with the Note and get my replacement this week. Wheneva I go back to Apple and try their new products I always get bored within the first 2 weeks and switch back to Samsung

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Temporarily edge user. Don't like it. Lags. Freezes. Dust under screen protector. I miss my Note7. Coral blue. My local Verizon store sausage possible Monday. To call at noon. Plan to call

Posted via the Android Central App

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I ended up with a iPhone 7 plus today and after 4 hours it went back to the store. As I stated before I have given up on Samsung and not sure Ill go back to them. Im back to using my 6s Plus and even though it lacks the customization of the Note 7, the thing just works and the battery is pretty darn good especially on ios 10. The iPhone 7 series home button is just weird and annoying. I hated it more than I hated the lack of a headphone jack. The "stereo" speakers were half @$$ed as well imo. When you have one front firing and one down firing the sound gets misbalanced. The phone was incredibly fast and smooth but that stupid home button just killed it for me. The 6s plus may very well be my last iPhone so if Samsung wants me to try them again, they better show me something with the Note 8 that I just cant resist.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I've been back using my 6s plus for a few days now after returning my note 7. While this phone is very smooth and fast, that's about where it ends. It doesn't have the features that my note 7 did, camera quality is way down, even just basic usage, it's just not the same quality experience

I only returned mine as I was frustrated with the Samsung Canada exchange process and gives me an opportunity to purchase through Costco and get the extra perks when they are out again.

I've had iPhones for over 6 years and I recommend them to many people as they are a great phone right out of the box without needing tweaks.

Only thing I like about the iPhone 7 is the very powerful processor and gpu they stuffed into it. But I really believe the processor in the s7 and note 7 has plenty more room in it to grow, that part comes down to the android optimization needing some more refinements
Dumb question on iPhone7: do you have to connect to a pc or can you do all your setup and downloads just on the phone (like you can with android)? I had a 6s for work last year and recall having to connect to a pc which irritated the heck out of me.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I acutally just cancel my iPhone 7+ order. Gonna stick it out with the Note and get my replacement this week. Wheneva I go back to Apple and try their new products I always get bored within the first 2 weeks and switch back to Samsung
Back in early spring I had a free phone through work (iphone only) and I actually turned it back in and bought a note 5. Aside from having to connect it to a pc (at least then I did or I missed some.shortcut?), I also didn't like the control work had over it. Any complaints had to go thru our rep and it tool forever to resolve anything g. Also.youre stuck with one phone for two years

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I had ordered a tmobile.certified used S6 Edge Plus and it just now shows shipped-ordered on Thursday. Debating trying it out and keeping or just returning and waiting for the N7. The draw is its about $350 cheaper and eip payment is half. It looks just like the N7 but with more curved in the edges. I typically like less curve but the overall design of this one looks neat. Haven't seen in person but did a lot of online image research.