kind of a let down!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mistermojorizin

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
True rgb means an rgb stripe. It isn't. It has some quasi pentile layout like the galaxy note.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

RGB means Red, Green, and Blue. That is true RGB. Each pixel has RGB subpixels. That is not pentile like. In any pentile arrangement, no individual pixel has each of the RGB subpixels. That's what makes something pentile/pentile-like.

But this is semantics. I understand that what you mean, is that it doesn't have an RGB stripe. And I agree. I am curious why you think the RGB on the phone won't look as good as an RGB stripe?

EDIT: I've tried to read every review I could get my hands on. Can you link to one of the ones that say it's noticeable it's not RGB stripe? I've seen some say it has a warm color temperature, but an RGB stripe display could have a warm temperature too. That's more software.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
RGB means Red, Green, and Blue. That is true RGB. Each pixel has RGB subpixels. That is not pentile like. In any pentile arrangement, no individual pixel has each of the RGB subpixels. That's what makes something pentile/pentile-like.

But this is semantics. I understand that what you mean, is that it doesn't have an RGB stripe. And I agree. I am curious why you think the RGB on the phone won't look as good as an RGB stripe?

And the confusion adds because I know nothing. I'm just going to wait until the phone hits stores and if I like it I'll buy it. Lol

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

EDIT: I've tried to read every review I could get my hands on. Can you link to one of the ones that say it's noticeable it's not RGB stripe? I've seen some say it has a warm color temperature, but an RGB stripe display could have a warm temperature too. That's more software.

No. True rgb is arranged in a stripe.

Last edited:

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
And the confusion adds because I know nothing. I'm just going to wait until the phone hits stores and if I like it I'll buy it. Lol

you, my friend, have finally figured it out! Haters are gonna hate on the phone and post comments based on pure ignorance. If you like it, then you should get it and not listen to a bunch of technobabble from people who clearly have no clue what they are talking about and are just repeating buzzwords that they read on some other site.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
you, my friend, have finally figured it out! Haters are gonna hate on the phone and post comments based on pure ignorance. If you like it, then you should get it and not listen to a bunch of technobabble from people who clearly have no clue what they are talking about and are just repeating buzzwords that they read on some other site.

That was the plan from the beginning. As long as the screen is readable I'll manage because even though I love the S4 screen I can't love with that battery. We shall find out shortly!

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Excuse me? This phone does not have an rgb screen. It has something that isn't quite pentile, but isn't true rgb stripe.

You can drop your condescension and attitude right now.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Excuse me? This phone does not have an rgb screen. It has something that isn't quite pentile, but isn't true rgb stripe.

You can drop your condescension and attitude right now.

Hmmm...my post didn't mention anything about "True RGB"(which is a ridiculous notion by the way), it didn't mention anything about pentile, and it didn't mention you, yet you're assuming I was talking about you. I wonder why that is. If I was in your shoes I wouldn't assume that it was directed towards me unless I had posted something that I knew was complete nonsense and showed that I have no understanding of the technology that I'm trying to talk about...just sayin

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Not pentile + .5" smaller than Note 2 = good enough

Posted via Android Central App

I once thought the pentile screen on the RAZR HD looks decent so a non pentile screen of any sort should be fine for me. I just want something smaller to be honest.

FrogVomit

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
From the extreme closeup on the Verge hands-on, it looks like the red and green stripes are horizontally stacked, with a vertical blue stripe next to them. I see no reason why this would have lower quality than the typical arrangement, and it might even be slightly better. I have a degree in Image Science, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
From the extreme closeup on the Verge hands-on, it looks like the red and green stripes are horizontally stacked, with a vertical blue stripe next to them. I see no reason why this would have lower quality than the typical arrangement, and it might even be slightly better. I have a degree in Image Science, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Pfft Image Science. About as useful as Gender Studies.

Haha JK

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm...my post didn't mention anything about "True RGB"(which is a ridiculous notion by the way), it didn't mention anything about pentile, and it didn't mention you, yet you're assuming I was talking about you. I wonder why that is. If I was in your shoes I wouldn't assume that it was directed towards me unless I had posted something that I knew was complete nonsense and showed that I have no understanding of the technology that I'm trying to talk about...just sayin

Oh please. Don't feign ignorance.

An rgb screen is arranged in a stripe. If it isn't, it is not a true rgb screen. You know it, I know it, and moto knows it too. The middle ground solution they're using is just fine, but it still isn't a true rgb subpixel layout. Period.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

An rgb screen is arranged in a stripe. If it isn't, it is not a true rgb screen. You know it, I know it, and moto knows it too. The middle ground solution they're using is just fine, but it still isn't a true rgb subpixel layout. Period.

Except you're wrong.
Just because its different than what you're used to doesn't mean its not "true rgb"(which again, is a completely ridiculous notion). Each pixel contains a red subpixel, a green subpixel and a blue subpixel. Red, green, blue. Thats what RGB stands for. There is no invisible "s" indicating that it has to be a stripe configuration to be "true." Furthermore, if you're saying its not a "true RGB" then it must be a "false RGB" in other words, it has the red, green, blue subpixels, but at the exact same time it doesn't have the red, green, blue subpixels. That is what your statement implies, that somehow there are "false" reds, greens and blues floating around somewhere. Nowhere in the history of technology has RGB been defined by the necessity of being arranged in a stripe matrix. Up until now, the technology available made it so a stripe configuration produced the best results, but the stripe was never part of what defined an RGB display. It is now and has always been that there is one red subpixel, one green subpixel, and one blue subpixel. Red, green, blue. RGB. People always want to throw descriptors onto things unnecessarily when its really just technobabble.
If you don't wanna listen to me, listen to Motorola. They have gone on record saying it has a RGB screen. There are approximately 857 million tech sites/bloggers who dissect every word that tech companies say. If Moto went on record saying it was RGB and it wasn't then 2 things would happen. 1) they would get absolutely crucified by the internet. That hasn't happened. 2)they would get sued out of existence for outright lying about their product. That's not legal in this country. That hasn't happened either.
Your definition of RGB is very very narrow, and quite incorrect. This screen is RGB. no "true" needs to be added. It either is or it isn't...and it is. Period.
I'm sure your response will be along the lines of "no it isn't" but you need to come with something a little better than that if you want anyone to consider taking you seriously. Otherwise you just look like you have no clue what you're talking about.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

And by the way,early color computer monitors...the big fat heavy CRT ones...they also used RGB displays. They were dots, not stripes. And that was well before stripes became popular.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Not disappointed at all. Might not buy it because between this and the X there are things I like better about the X, but I really like the message that Moto is sending out this year.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Except you're wrong.
Just because its different than what you're used to doesn't mean its not "true rgb"(which again, is a completely ridiculous notion). Each pixel contains a red subpixel, a green subpixel and a blue subpixel. Red, green, blue. Thats what RGB stands for. There is no invisible "s" indicating that it has to be a stripe configuration to be "true." Furthermore, if you're saying its not a "true RGB" then it must be a "false RGB" in other words, it has the red, green, blue subpixels, but at the exact same time it doesn't have the red, green, blue subpixels. That is what your statement implies, that somehow there are "false" reds, greens and blues floating around somewhere. Nowhere in the history of technology has RGB been defined by the necessity of being arranged in a stripe matrix. Up until now, the technology available made it so a stripe configuration produced the best results, but the stripe was never part of what defined an RGB display. It is now and has always been that there is one red subpixel, one green subpixel, and one blue subpixel. Red, green, blue. RGB. People always want to throw descriptors onto things unnecessarily when its really just technobabble.
If you don't wanna listen to me, listen to Motorola. They have gone on record saying it has a RGB screen. There are approximately 857 million tech sites/bloggers who dissect every word that tech companies say. If Moto went on record saying it was RGB and it wasn't then 2 things would happen. 1) they would get absolutely crucified by the internet. That hasn't happened. 2)they would get sued out of existence for outright lying about their product. That's not legal in this country. That hasn't happened either.
Your definition of RGB is very very narrow, and quite incorrect. This screen is RGB. no "true" needs to be added. It either is or it isn't...and it is. Period.
I'm sure your response will be along the lines of "no it isn't" but you need to come with something a little better than that if you want anyone to consider taking you seriously. Otherwise you just look like you have no clue what you're talking about.

Actually, it would do you well to research subpixel rendering. RGB means exactly what it says. Pixels arranged in an RGB pattern, in a stripe. All of the blue, red, and green subpixels are arranged in stripes that are in the RGB alternating pattern. Neither the galaxy note 2, nor the droid ultra, use this subpixel rendering pattern. They have blue subpixels arranged in a stripe, with red and green stacked next to it. That is not an RGB subpixel screen. Its something closer to BRG or BGR. The ARRANGEMENT of the pixels matter when you're discussing the screen.

It is nowhere near as bad as pentile since all three subpixels are present, but it is not a true RGB screen.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
And by the way,early color computer monitors...the big fat heavy CRT ones...they also used RGB displays. They were dots, not stripes. And that was well before stripes became popular.

Uh, no. They still used an RGB stripe. The shape of the 'pixels' was different, but it was still striped. The geometry was also different. (Triangular)

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Uh, no. They still used an RGB stripe. The shape of the 'pixels' was different, but it was still striped. The geometry was also different. (Triangular)

Either you are completely in denial or our education system has failed you and you don't recognize shapes. I guess there's just no hope for you.

Edit:But just for kicks, what shape do you think the pixels were? That way I'll know what you're thinking so I can explain why you're wrong about them being different shapes too while I'm at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roth4796