kind of a let down!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamabun

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
The iPhone is one of the top selling phones and it has what that is so ahead of everything else spec wise? Dual core cpu when a lot of phones are quad core now. 1gb of ram when most are 2gb now. A 1500mah battery when most are 2000mah or more. It comes down to the experience. Does that phone have enough horsepower to call, text ,browse the web and Facebook? Yes is the camera good? Yes. Can it function fluidly and without hiccups? I'm sure it can. Most normal people care about those things. They don't care about a 2ghz quad core with adreno 320 GPU. Or any technical stuff.

Posted via Android Central App

your like a politician! i specifically stated screen tech as my major gripe and it is the one thing you left out.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
your like a politician! i specifically stated screen tech as my major gripe and it is the one thing you left out.

So you think the iPhone sells because it has a "retina display" and not because it has good battery life and does all the basics call, text, web browse and has a good camera Even though the specs say otherwise?

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

Um, so add in the display then. Because Retina displays aren't even 720, let alone 1080. It's a silly marketing name.

Comparing the display only further validates the user's argument that you quoted.

That device hardware is reaching a plateau is exactly why the competition is greater than ever. The more similar devices are, the more they compete with each other. The differentiation of software merely reduces competition by creating said differentiation. It's supply and demand my child. The more software differentiation there is, the less each differentiation is worth, and the less hardware differentiation there is, the more each differentiation is worth. So given this truth we may conclude that hardware is what matters most and that it matters more than ever.

And your ad hominem attacks merely show that deep down you agree with me.

Yes, devices are reaching a hardware plateau, meaning software will make or break a device. You entirely missed that point. You're trying to argue the exact opposite by whining about a PenTile display, actually.

Do you know what supply and demand is? Because it has nothing to do with what you outlined in your post, "my child."

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
There's no point in have a car with a v8 if it can only run on 4 cylinders right? I'd much rather see them stay with quad cores or even dual cores and make them far more efficient and have the software using them to their maximum potential.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
So you think the iPhone sells because it has a "retina display" and not because it has good battery life and does all the basics call, text, web browse and has a good camera Even though the specs say otherwise?

Yes. The iPhone sells because of the display. It's 326 PPI. Good battery life? ROFL

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes. The iPhone sells because of the display. It's 326 PPI. Good battery life? ROFL

Yes I'm sure that's the reason it sells. Good battery life? My iPhone 4 blows any android I've had out of the water.not even a comparison. Either way the spec sheet doesn't tell half the story on how a phone will perform.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

IMHO, the iPhone sales consists largely due to repeat customers who simply stay within their comfort zone and the new adopters who base their respective decisions on name recognition & reputation. Apple has been absent any real innovation for some time and the little that has been attempted has either flopped or been marginally successful. Most of my family uses iPhones of various versions and compared side-by-side with premium Android phones it's no contest. Pick any category you want - be it display, customization, features, functions or whatever - the iPhone's stagnation is evident to all but the die-hard loyalist.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
IMHO, the iPhone sales consists largely due to repeat customers who simply stay within their comfort zone and the new adopters who base their respective decisions on name recognition & reputation. Apple has been absent any real innovation for some time and the little that has been attempted has either flopped or been marginally successful. Most of my family uses iPhones of various versions and compared side-by-side with premium Android phones it's no contest. Pick any category you want - be it display, customization, features, functions or whatever - the iPhone's stagnation is evident to all but the die-hard loyalist.

All the apps you've purchased become a waste if you switch platforms.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes I'm sure that's the reason it sells. Good battery life? My iPhone 4 blows any android I've had out of the water.not even a comparison. Either way the spec sheet doesn't tell half the story on how a phone will perform.

I'm not sure about the iPhone 4 but the iPhone 5 has mediocre battery life. My RAZR Maxx HD, RAZR Maxx and Galaxy Note II all lasted longer. The iPhone needs a larger battery considering its LTE. I used the iPhone 5 and one feature was missing - talk and surf the web at the same time. That's right, the only LTE smartphone on Verizon that isn't capable of doing this is the iPhone.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure about the iPhone 4 but the iPhone 5 has mediocre battery life. My RAZR Maxx HD, RAZR Maxx and Galaxy Note II all lasted longer. The iPhone needs a larger battery considering its LTE. I used the iPhone 5 and one feature was missing - talk and surf the web at the same time. That's right, the only LTE smartphone on Verizon that isn't capable of doing this is the iPhone.

You just named the top 3 phones for battery life. Well that depends on personal preference. I'm on AT&T and can talk + surf but I never do. I'm just trying to get my point across that just because the spec says the phone is going to be badass doesn't mean it will perform amazingly. I'll bet my Gsm gnex is smoother than a lot of these 2gb ram quad core devices out now

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

I should hope those three lasted longer considering their batteries are more than double the size of the iPhone 5s. Considering that the 5 bests all of its actual competitors with a much smaller battery says a lot.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Research shows otherwise. Apple tends to pull a lot of customers from android and other platforms at well. If their sales consisted of repeat customers, they would be stagnating, not growing.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I should hope those three lasted longer considering their batteries are more than double the size of the iPhone 5s. Considering that the 5 bests all of its actual competitors with a much smaller battery says a lot.

Obviously, but my point was to show Android has phones that outlast an iPhone by a wide margin. The iPhone needs a bigger battery and there are no excuses as to why Apple won't do it.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Obviously, but my point was to show Android has phones that outlast an iPhone by a wide margin. The iPhone needs a bigger battery and there are no excuses as to why Apple won't do it.

How so when most androids are 6 months or more behind on updates? I'd take a 2 year old iPhone 4s over any 2 year old android.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

The fact that the iPhone has better battery life than all of its competitors with a cell that is 30% smaller is their excuse.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The fact that the iPhone has better battery life than all of its competitors with a cell that is 30% smaller is their excuse.

I don't care if the phone is running on a smaller cell and outlasts other Android phones. Android still offers phone options that allow for better battery life. A phone is only as good as its battery and from my experience the iPhone 5 battery is weak. Others will be okay with it though so its all preference.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't care if the phone is running on a smaller cell and outlasts other Android phones. Android still offers phone options that allow for better battery life. A phone is only as good as its battery and from my experience the iPhone 5 battery is weak. Others will be okay with it though so its all preference.

What does that have to do with what's being discussed? The choice argument has nothing to do with this.

Last edited:

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Research shows otherwise. Apple tends to pull a lot of customers from android and other platforms at well. If their sales consisted of repeat customers, they would be stagnating, not growing.

They also have the selling point of locked down exosystem + iPods that successfully ropes in tons of younger people going to their first smartphone as they have already been spending money with them and familiar with their OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djboulette