Larger battery or very slim battery case for Nexus 5?

zijin_cheng

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I used to have a Nexus 4 which had horrible battery life, probably a max of 3 hours SOT. Even after installing Purity/Hell's Core Kernel, I could get a max of maybe 4 hours SOT.

I switched to a chinese phone called the THL 5000 with 5000mAh and battery life is insane, I can get 6 hours of pure gaming SOT easily, while having enough standby for the rest of the day. However, I recently got the opportunity to get a Nexus 5 for close to free, and was pondering making the switch back, but battery life is the biggest issue for me.

I know the Nexus 5's battery is non removeable (I'm comfortable removing the back and replacing the battery though), and there was some discussion about whether the LG G2's battery could fit in, but ultimately was incompatible. So I was wondering about 3 things:

1. Are there any 3000mAh batteries out there that can replace the Nexus 5's stock battery?
2. Are there any battery cases that are insanely slim, eg 1000mAh in capacity and doesn't make the Nexus 5 look like a brick?
3. With custom kernels/ROMs, what's the max SOT you've gotten?

Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. Are there any 3000mAh batteries out there that can replace the Nexus 5's stock battery?
I haven't checked every battery out there, but probably not.

2. Are there any battery cases that are insanely slim, eg 1000mAh in capacity and doesn't make the Nexus 5 look like a brick?
Are there any 32 ounce containers that don't take up a quart of space? You can't put 10,000mAh in a battery the size of a 3,000mAh battery using the same technology. There's this little thing called "the laws of physics" that you'd have to violate. Carrying a large battery in your pocket and plugging it into the phone isn't that bad, and you can get a 20,000mAh battery. Carry one in each pocket and you can get 3 days of steady SoT between charges.

3. With custom kernels/ROMs, what's the max SOT you've gotten?
Don't have an N5, and max SoT isn't my measure of a good phone. (But, then, I wouldn't own a phone with a non-replaceable battery, and I always carry at least one fully charged spare with me.) But I'd consider 3-4 hours SoT to 40% charge good for any Android phone.

zijin_cheng

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I haven't checked every battery out there, but probably not.

Are there any 32 ounce containers that don't take up a quart of space? You can't put 10,000mAh in a battery the size of a 3,000mAh battery using the same technology. There's this little thing called "the laws of physics" that you'd have to violate. Carrying a large battery in your pocket and plugging it into the phone isn't that bad, and you can get a 20,000mAh battery. Carry one in each pocket and you can get 3 days of steady SoT between charges.

Don't have an N5, and max SoT isn't my measure of a good phone. (But, then, I wouldn't own a phone with a non-replaceable battery, and I always carry at least one fully charged spare with me.) But I'd consider 3-4 hours SoT to 40% charge good for any Android phone.

There's a reason why I asked for battery cases with 1000mah capacity instead of the regular 2860 or 3800mah, those are small enough that won't make your phone like a brick.

In addition, SOT is not a measure of a good phone, but a requirement after the Nexus 4. I need 6 hours at least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze