LCD comparison, how good is it?

katamari201

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I haven't really owned any phones with LCDs these past couple years (all have been amoled...) so would like some input on how good/bad the Atrix 2 screen is compared to some common popular phones. From the reviews, I gather it has one of the best LCD displays, but I gather a lot of reviewers are too enamored with superamoled to spend much time on comparing different LCDs besides pixel density, which I'm not too concerned about. My sis brought her LG G2x the other day and I wasn't too impressed, mostly because of the strong backlight and bleeding on the black gingerbread UI. Contrast didn't seem that great either even with the brightness so high. I might be tricking myself though because I remember looking at it at the T-mobile store and being initially wowed by it. Maybe its the lighting, Usually though, real world use is far worse than store-preview use, so I'm leaning more towards "not good". I've also seen the 4.3" on the HTC Inspire and thought it looked great, but then again this was also in-store so who knows how it will look once I bring it home.

Any thoughts on how the Atrix 2 LCD compares to phones you have used first hand or own? Say the Sensation, Bionic/Droid X2/Photon, Thunderbolt, etc. Just want LCD comparisons, no SuperAMOLED nor penTile phones as I've crossed those off my list for now. Resolution doesn't make a big difference either, just sharpness. Would appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Go to the ATT store and compare side by side with a number of phones.

Its really quite a wonderful screen. Side by side with the Inspire, the Atrix2 made the Inspire look like the brightness was cranked down. Not only was the Inspire dimmer, but color was washed out.

I really don't care about the underlying technology, as long is it readable in full sunlight, and the battery lasts the day. Moto scores on both counts here.

916x10

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm no pro when it comes to suggesting which type of display is better than the other but I know that the display on my A2 is plenty crisp, plenty clear, plenty bright and looks good even in direct sunlight.

JRW 28

May 31, 2011
Visit site
The display is way better on the A2 then the infuse! I played around with just about everyphone my local AT&T store had last week for over an hr and kept coming back to the A2. Even done a side by side with the A2 and the SGII and to me the A2 was better. I still have my OG ATRIX but after getting my A2 last week it hasn't been getting much love LoL ....havnt regretted my decision one bit and for the price it was a steal!!!!

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I am just like JRW 28, in that I kept coming back to the Atrix2 at the ATT store. I got mine yesterday, switching over from the webOS world. LOVE the screen.

R.Bendt

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Coming from a samoled screen to the Atrix and I'm happy with it. Its really sharp and crisp. Plus the Atrix is an all around great phone. High recomendation here.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

katamari201

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I didn't really want to get superamoled involved in the comparison as people have varying opinions about it. I've used enough of them to know they aren't for me though, nor is penTile, so I've crossed them off my list. Just want to know about LCD experiences and comparisons. Man I'm indecisive. Here's a shot in the dark. Anyone seen the HTC Titan screen (not even stateside yet) and can compare it to the Atrix 2 :)

Mes3

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
The Titan uses a SuperLCD screen which will look good. SuperLCD has fantastic viewing angles (which sadly the Atrix 2 doesn't have) and really good contrast (which the Atrix 2 does have).

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
The Titan uses a SuperLCD screen which will look good. SuperLCD has fantastic viewing angles (which sadly the Atrix 2 doesn't have) and really good contrast (which the Atrix 2 does have).

Wait, What ?!!??

The viewing angles on the Atrix 2 are just fine. More than adequate.
Its a phone, not a TV.

You don't want everyone in the room reading your email over your shoulder.

katamari201

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
So the Atrix 2 viewing angles aren't good? I always ignore the S-LCD Super-LCD Supra-LCD labels since they are a jumbled mess and even though companies like HTC will say their entire line is S(uper)-LCD the quality varies significantly between their phones. Viewing angles are important on small devices though, since they are small and you can see them/hold them from various angles. Thats why IPS is such a big deal. Things like laptops have crappy displays because usually you have to sit in front of the keyboard. Yes, viewing angles are important to me at least! I would personally go look at one, but the AT&T store here in south TX don't have 'em!

Mes3

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the viewing angles on A2 are fine. Just not as good as SuperLCD. The A2's screen washes out the midtones pretty hardcore when looking at an off angle. Its not a big deal to me. Just telling it like it is. Its a good screen with that one fault.

katamari201

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I've seen lots of videos of the handset already and I went back to check again on the phonedog review. The only problem I see with viewing angles is that the screen gets darker when you look from the side, which is actually a plus for me because I sometimes angle my LCD devices to quickly reduce the brightness when reading, like right after waking up. If thats really the only issue, I wouldn't consider that a viewing angle problem. I was more concerned about colors going negative, everything turning white and bleeding white, and contrast dropping substantially.

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
How is the switch from webOS to Android treating you? I'm considering a move myself.

Three days in and I'm not missing a thing! Everything we HOPED for is here, plus a few. Is it as intuitive as webOS? No, nothing is. But, that doesn't mean it's DOS 3.1, either. It's a nice OS, and SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many features that we didn't have are built in.

Milominderbender (who is a long-time webOS guy) wrote a fabulous comprehensive thread just for those of us switching over. I didn't see it until I made the switch, but you need to check it out, because it will allay most (if not all) of your concerns.

It is here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/33254-palm-webos-homebrewers-guide-android.html

Good luck. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

Reactions: runukraine

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chao