LG G3 - Widespread reports of cracks appearing at the microphone port

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Re: Widespread reports of cracks appearing at the microphone port

These cracks are certainly disappointing, and I'll continue to monitor how this develops as I wait for my 2-year agreement to end. The G3 is one of several phones on my list of possible choices (also waiting to see what the Note 4, Moto X+whatever, and maybe Nexus 6 have to offer). Unless the problem gets a lot worse, it probably won't stop me from choosing the G3. My old EVO 4G had a similar crack next to the power button for years, and it never interfered with the use of the phone. Nonetheless, this is something LG should address.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

I appreciate your opinion (big holes, small holes) but not sure where and how you are coming to this conclusion?? Looking at the number of pics on the web I am not seeing (to the best of my ability) any differences in the hole size.

What I meant was that I'm guessing that these holes were known areas of stress failure, and in the myriad of pre-release designs, there are several failed bodies with larger diameter holes that caused stress fractures.

I'm not a materials engineer, but I can tell you that, looking at design, that little cracks are showing up around those ports doesn't shock me one bit.

The big question is whether it is a design or manufacturing defect/bad batch... or just law of averages and crap luck.

I'm guessing there's some units with micro fractures that finally gave way, but most are fine.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

Moto X owner here that experienced similar cracks. I was fortunate enough that Motorola replaced my phone with a new one. I would guess that it's stress too but not fully sure. Just wanted to let you know that your phone isn't the only one.

Posted via the Android Central App

WordPainter

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site

I've had my G3 for about 40 days, and I am experiencing cracks on the microphone and on the top near the IR sensor. The cracks were not a result of any acute, physical trauma to the phone. After fighting with att for days, they are replacing the phone out of 'courtesy' but should it happen again, I'm out of luck. LG needs to help those who are experiencing this issue, even if it's only an isolated issue.

Posted via Android Central App

Is that the Circle case? From what I've heard, that is causing the problem. It's too tight or something.

WordPainter

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site

I appreciate your opinion (big holes, small holes) but not sure where and how you are coming to this conclusion?? Looking at the number of pics on the web I am not seeing (to the best of my ability) any differences in the hole size.
We have members here and at XDA reporting the issue and it appears the "case theory" may also be out the window. A couple of guys have the cracks and have never used a case.
It's interesting to read the first few posts at XDA after someone created the thread about this, denial, insult, make fun of, etc......I guess they also have their share of "heads buried in the sand" over there. As more information became available and claims from members experiencing this issue, they just went away. I get that there are people that don't want to hear or accept this....sorry.

All those photos are of G3s in the Circle case or some other flip case. Coincidence?

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

I guess if all you're doing is going off the pics one could come to that conclusion.
As mentioned in the actual post, some members are experiencing the cracks and have never used a case.......

All those photos are of G3s in the Circle case or some other flip case. Coincidence?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to the so-called journalism in the 21st century

Yep.... no one writes articles anymore.... and sometime they don't even bother to write anything in their own words and just repost. I see this in full effect with Flowly... an Android news aggregator. Did you know that the Nexus 6 will be called the Nexus X? Well, I certainly do... especially since I saw the same headline repeated about 10 times and each one was obviously written off the same original source material.

And yes, I saw the same thing occur with the cracking report... it showed up all over the place. Now, someone with an agenda would turn around and say that the problem is obviously widespread since it is being reported on everywhere... I mean, look at all the articles, they all say "As has been reported on several sites..."!!! But when you look into it... gee, it turns out that they all filter back to the same XDA/Android Central/Etc post where some users are reporting that they got a couple of cracks. Yes, it's obvious that a few people have run into the issue, but we have ZERO context.

It's a mess. There's a difference between a report of a widespread problem and a problem that was been widely reported.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site

I wonder where this information comes from. Do competitors hire marketing firms to go on forums to exaggerate this stuff?
Please get over it. As mentioned here, the phone is plastic, glass and some electronic stuff. If you drop it on a hard surface it might break. If it does develop cracks near the mic jack - within the first year anyway.[language removed by Moderator]If it happens to me I guarantee I can get T-Mobile to replace the phone if I push them. In two or three years the phone will be outdated junk. So please don't start threads to kill the buzz. I want to enjoy my phone while it is still fresh.

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(3092520)

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site

I was about to pull the trigger on a G3 until I heard about this issue. After looking around online, there are a good number of photos showing cracks. I have no idea how widespread this might be or become, but it's made me hold off on my decision until more info comes out.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

I was about to pull the trigger on a G3 until I heard about this issue. After looking around online, there are a good number of photos showing cracks. I have no idea how widespread this might be or become, but it's made me hold off on my decision until more info comes out.

G3 is a great phone. I wouldn't let this keep me from getting it.

I would but it again today omission what I know

Posted via Android Central App

drbol

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site

I have used mine for weeks, plugging in the USB charger and headphone jack. No issues for me.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

If it's true that it only affects a small batch, they've probably already figured out the phones that could be affected. They know exactly when and where your phone was made, so it's pretty easy for them to figure out what happened.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

So much trolling and bickering in here and no one has the presence of mind to try to stop it - fires need fuel to grow.

Going forward, please keep discussion productive and on topic. Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please behave like an adult and move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts.

Let's keep the discussion civil please. If there is a problem with a post then please report it so the Mod team can take a look, attempting to resolve it yourself is not advisable.

Thanks.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Guys - stay on topic or don't post. Coming back in here and having to clean every post because no one is able to comment without referencing the previous troll fest isn't funny and there are not going to be further warnings about it. The topic is not the motivations or behaviors of other members.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Also, I have the Korean version, and had it before it launched in the US. If age is a factor I must have just got a good unit.

idon12no

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I just called LG, and the person I spoke to did not know aboutthis issue or that LG had told people to call support for help. She's supposedly going to look into it some more and get back to me. I'll keep you guys posted.

Edit: I made a followup call and the person I spoke to said there's nothing in their system that gives any guidance or shows any acknowledgement of the issue from LG.

The lady I spoke to suggested I email LG and send a copy of the article I saw online, so that's my next step.

T-Mobile G3

Last edited:

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Update! I just checked my G3 - no cracks! After reading this thread I check for cracks nearly every day. Such a "widespread" problem just went away?

In other non-G3 news...Ebola epidemic is spreading exponentially, Joan Rivers is still dead (RIP), and it has been determined that a high-energy objects' crashed the Malaysian flight MH17 in Eastern Ukraine (RIP) . There's lots of things to be hysterical about. For the G3 - just enjoy it!