LG G3 Will not turn on or charge

A

AC Question

This phone is basically brand new, I bought it maybe a week ago, and already I can't turn it on. I woke up and checked it,saw that it had a good amount of battery, fell asleep, and found it like this.

Has anyone else encountered this with the G3? Holding the power button doesn't work and neither does taking out the battery.

It hasn't been damaged ever, so I'm really very confused as to what I should do.

Yana X

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Can someone help me Please!! I've had my G3 for over a year now and it has been really awesome. But suddenly it wouldn't turn on. It looked like it turn on with the logo popping up but then it shuts back off (happens in a loop). The only way I could turn it on was if I was charging it with the battery in and turn it on at the same time. But when plugged out, it would turn back off. I have no idea what's happening to the phone and my career is on that phone.

Yana X

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Someone please please help me!! I've had my G3 for over a year now and it was working fine up til yesterday. It suddenly won't turn on. It hasn't dropped or anything for months now. When I tried to turn it on, the logo pops up but then it shuts back off and there's no vibration or sound. This goes in a loop. The only way I could turn it on was to charge it and turn it on at the same time. Once it was plugged out, it would shut off again...
Someone please help me. My career is on that phone.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Someone please please help me!! I've had my G3 for over a year now and it was working fine up til yesterday. It suddenly won't turn on. It hasn't dropped or anything for months now. When I tried to turn it on, the logo pops up but then it shuts back off and there's no vibration or sound. This goes in a loop. The only way I could turn it on was to charge it and turn it on at the same time. Once it was plugged out, it would shut off again...
Someone please help me. My career is on that phone.

Welcome to the forums. :)

First, try a new battery. Make sure, so far as you can, that it's of good quality.
If that doesn't do it, get back to us.

Ryan Frank

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
I had the same exact problem as Yana X, with my LG not working as of tonight. It turns on to the LG logo, then turns black. Sometimes it even gets to the AT&T logo, but always goes black after. I tried with a different battery (3 of them actually - my whole family has the G3) to no avail. I don't know what else to do. Any help would be vastly appreciated - I have photos in the phone that I would really like to save, but I cannot even connect to a computer.

Bostick

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
it wont turn on unless u put it on the charger and now it turns on but says "security error" or wont turn off or itll keep repeating the start up screen over and over again. I had the same exact problem my LG not working. It turns on to the LG logo, then turns black. Sometimes it even gets to the AT&T logo, but always goes black after too. I tried with a different battery (3 of them actually - my whole family has the G3) to no avail. I don't know what else to do. Any help would be vastly appreciated - I have photos in the phone that I would really like to save, but I cannot even connect to a computer. What should I do?

Arkade23

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
If anyone has this problem and you think you bricked your phone, etc. I have a solution! Try sliding your battery in and out while holding the power button. Do it many times and the phone should eventually turn on. I thought my phone was kaput but I ended up trying this and the phone booted up. I thought I would have to return the phone or pay to get it fixed. Hopefully this works for you guys. Thanks!

Veronica Rocha

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
I had mine for 6 months and one day plugged it into a car charger that was loose and kept saying charging then a couple seconds later phone has low battery please charge and so on and so forth for a couple of hours while driving a long ways then when it finally got to 23% it shut off for some reason i tried turning it back on, taking it apart, charging it to a wall outlet, nothing worked i guess it must have burnt the motherboard by trying to charge it with an unstable car charger for so long. Its the only thing that makes any sense to this strange situation since the battery was brand new the phone never had wayer damage or never dropped hard and even trying a second battery didnt work which means the first battery was not faulty.

Braden Dodge

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Actually there is an easy - well easy-ish - fix for this. OK it works for me, but I can't guarantee it'll work for you but there's no harm in trying.
Take out the battery. Now with the battery out, hold the power button down continuously for 30 seconds. Then put the battery back in and try to turn on the phone. If the battery is dead, you can get an Anker-brand battery charger along with two after market replacement batteries for a very affordable price of $25 on Amazon.
This is draining any residual power out of the phone's circuit board. It's essentially a hard reset. I work in a computer repair shop and we do this with laptops all the time. Works about 50-60 percent of the time when the laptop wont power up.
Note: AT&T and CPR Cell Phone Repair have both said this is probably a symptom of a bad battery, but I have observed my phone do this with my stock battery AND the brand new aftermarket ones, leading me to believe this problem has to do with a combination of the new Android 5.0 and/or the phone's firmware and the charging circuit of the phone. Could also be a CMOS and/or RAM issue. The phone charges if it's on but not if it is off. It does not matter how much charge the battery has, if I turn it off it will not turn on again w/out hard resetting it.
PS: It also does this with a custom recovery (TWRP) and a custom ROM (CloudyG3) so if it's a OS issue, it's with Android 5.0 in general. But It's probably a firmware issue.
OK....Weird....now, if i put the battery back in after resetting, it is still not powering up. But if I plug it in to the charger with the battery in the screen come up and says 75% charge. If I press the power button, it turns on. OK wtf???:mad:
If I restart instead of power off and then back on it works just fine. Totally mystified as to what could be going on here......:confused:

NaosXp

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
I've had the same issues, and also have done similar testing(trying to fix) with the LG G3.

Issue 1: If my LG G3 is restarted from the OS (manually), it just turns off and does not turn back on. Plugging the phone into the WallPower is unresponsive.
Issue 2: If my LG G3 battery is drained (0% then auto shuts down). Plugging the phone into the WallPower is unresponsive.

For both issues above, plugging into PC/WallPower does nothing. No LED lights are lite up for anything. Looks 100% bricked (but it's not).

*Temp Fix for both issues was to pull battery, then with battery out > hold power up and plug into PC/WallPower > battery logo shows up > Put battery back in.

These issues have happened with both the CloudyG3 2.5 ROM and CM 12.1 (2015-11-17) ROM, while leaving TWRP as the recovery. They are both 5.X Android variations.
side question: is it safe to install a custom rom, then re-install stock recovery?

I did fix the issue 1 (not restarting) by completely returning the LG G3 to stock, then went through everything again: Root > install TWRP > install CloudyG3 2.5.
Now the phone restarts fine when manually shutting down the phone with a restart option... but I still have issue 2 where if the battery drains and auto-offs, it stays unresponsive.

My current plan is to try going back to STOCK, Re-root, and just use the STOCK OS for a while.. test resets, test draining battery.. see how that goes.

**note: I feel Xposed might have something to do with the issue.. the problems always seem to be more prominent when setting xposed up.. Might have to do with the fact that with Xposed and CM, these options turn off the partial screen option (CIRCLE) which the LG G3 can do, but I don't care for it.

Last edited:

zyrellmcknight1

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Hello,
How did you get your LG G3 to work? mines literally had cracked & I took it to get fix. Once I brought it home it wouldn't charge nor did it come on! What's the problem? Can you help me?

Thanks,
Z. McKnight

Scottiebear69

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
My LG3 is only 7 months old! Last week it just went off and wouldn't come back on when I tried the reset with battery out so when I got home I put it on a charger! Took battery out reinstalled and it came on. Flash forward to a week later and it has done it again. This time it wouldn't come on using that trick so took to US Cellular store where lady practicly called me a liar saying the red dot was showing that it had moisture damage! My phone hasn't even been in a rainstorm with me or near any water,moisture or anything. So my question is since I'm getting a loaner phone tomorrow and shipping out to service department has anyone else had these issues? Do you think I'm screwed on my phones warranty? And lastly. Are there any other ways to get it fixed from anywhere else,and who?

Thanks,
Scottiebear69

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
My LG3 is only 7 months old! Last week it just went off and wouldn't come back on when I tried the reset with battery out so when I got home I put it on a charger! Took battery out reinstalled and it came on. Flash forward to a week later and it has done it again. This time it wouldn't come on using that trick so took to US Cellular store where lady practicly called me a liar saying the red dot was showing that it had moisture damage! My phone hasn't even been in a rainstorm with me or near any water,moisture or anything. So my question is since I'm getting a loaner phone tomorrow and shipping out to service department has anyone else had these issues? Do you think I'm screwed on my phones warranty? And lastly. Are there any other ways to get it fixed from anywhere else,and who?

Thanks,
Scottiebear69

Welcome as a new member. :)

Sorry to hear of your trouble. I recommend posting also in the G3 forum, where other members may be able to advise.

Posted via the Android Central App

emeraldleo72

May 4, 2016
Visit site
My Verizon LG G3 VS 985 wont charge or turn on! I've taken the battery out held the power button for 30-60 seconds put the battery back in, pushed power button and NOTHING! So i did the same thing but instead of trying to power up i plugged it in. The red LED light would flash quick go off the screen would come on show the battery and plug on the screen with 0%, screen would go off and LED light would come on flash on and off like it typically would do when it charges then normally it would stop, phone would buzz and the screen would come on showing the battery with 5% or so black out then the LED would come on again and stay a solid red instead of flashing til it was done. Now now it'll flash for hours on end and i would tap the power button and it still shows 0%. On occasion i would start the process over and after charging for a while the phone buzzes like a notification that it has enough juice to start up, but it won't, it'll buzz for bout 2-3 seconds every 30 seconds til i unplug the phone, then I'll restart the process and again the LED will flash continuously and still wont charge. I even put in another used battery, I ordered another new battery if that's not it I'm gonna order a new cord if that's not the issue, would anyone have a clue what it may be? The last thing i wanna assume that it bricked!

Last edited:

Daniel_Sabata

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
I know this thread is old, but I stumbled upon this yesterday. If anyone needs a solution still, here it is: remove battery and put phone on charger. Wait until 'no battery icon' appears and put your battery back in. Hold the power button until logo appears :)

bonzo123

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
I went over to a mates house and fell asleep. When i woke up it wouldnt turn back on which i assumed meant it was out of battery.
But when i got back home and plugged it into the charger it did nothing. So i put in a spare battery (i have 3 batterys due to this happening multiple times) and it still wouldnt work.
I have tried taking out the battery for long periods of time and putting it back in, putting in a different one, taking out the micro Sim card but still nothing happens. I really need to get this sorted out quickly because i am going out travelling tomorrow and really need my phone to contact others and sort out trains :S
This started happening 3 days ago and still isnt working :S

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbbunny