LG G5 initial impressions

caffeinated pants

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but as many probably know, Android N developer previews have had their app drawer removed, lending credence to the idea that Google wants to get rid of the app drawer in the next version of Android. So, this wasn't a somewhat arbitrary decision taken by someone on LG's smartphone design team. I would assume third party launchers will continue to offer the app drawer.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Side note - I think OEM's removing the app drawer is in direct response to those that switch from iOS and find it confusing. I could see it becoming part of the initial setup process, but I don't see it being removed entirely by Google (LG, Samsung, Sony, they can do what they want).

shockreaction

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I love the fact that it's got a removable battery and modules. I was thinking one thing that would be nice is if we could get a hardware keyboard module, quite similar to the Blackberry Priv. That would be pretty neat.

amaranbu aiyasamy

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
Here's my list:

Pros:

More metal is generally good.
Rear fingerprint scanner - although having this double as a power button is going to be a Con.
They're thinking differently with the modular stuff
There's definitely probably almost certainly maybe a market for people who want smaller devices
Always on low power display - doing something here is better than nothing, but the rest goes in Cons
Huge amount of RAM
Large battery
Thinner is going to be a Pro for some people, but considering what was abandoned to get there, thinner in this case is very bad. It is 2.1 mm thinner than the G4. What can you fit in half of that?
Wide angle camera - do we need two cameras?
USB Type C
High speed local storage

Cons:

FPS doubles as power button on the back. This can only be done well if it is on the side.
Messing with removable storage code - this is now a security risk. When coupled with the failing hard on monthly security updates, this is essentially a statement from LG indicating that they don't think security is a problem.
Removable battery highlights two of the physical opportunity cost considerations that having it removable entail: smaller battery & a weak point in the device where issues are most likely to occur (slide out mechanisms)
Launching on Carriers
No official launch date
Always on notification on an IPS screen
Always on notification is always on and not breathing
Volume buttons being on the side is fine - but they're on the wrong side (left)
One of the colors ought to be "black"
Smaller screen but taller than the G4 with a 5.5" screen and bigger than the G3, which had the same screen size. \
Logo on the front
Lack of front facing speakers
No app drawer, more extra apps and software still very gross looking.

Unknowns:

Battery life
Screen quality
Camera quality
Software updates
Security updates
Processor performance and heat mitigation
Charging time
Build Quality

Hopefully some of these unknowns can be moved to Pros or Cons later.

Lg g5 has app drawer https://youtu.be/LWM7TieWpY8

rdt595

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I think I will be skipping this one mainly because I don't think you should upgrade a phone in the same series with a smaller display. 5.5 is a midrange size and not considered a phablet anymore. LG was on track with the G3 with its small bezels and then decided to move backwards. This should have been introduced as a new upper midrange line and not the G series. Plus it's **** ugly. A black version might not be as ugly, but it's not even offered. As far as the modules go, unless there is third party support its just going to be a gimmick. A camera module with an actual shutter and aperture priority dial would be nice. It will just be a matter of time before module problems show up here.
Looks like LG gave in to the "metal unibody" wars, and those of us who don't give a crap about a metal phone have to make a sacrifice. So I guess it will be another year with the great G4, and I'll give LG another chance when the G6 is announced. But for me, LG can take this one and shove it up their "magic slot!"

LG NitroHD G2 G3 G4

Last edited:

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I think I will be skipping this one mainly because I don't think you should upgrade a phone in the same series with a smaller display. 5.5 is a midrange size and not considered a phablet anymore. LG was on track with the G3 with its small bezels and then decided to move backwards. This should have been introduced as a new upper midrange line and not the G series. Plus it's **** ugly. A black version might not be as ugly, but it's not even offered. As far as the modules go, unless there is third party support its just going to be a gimmick. A camera module with an actual shutter and aperture priority dial would be nice. It will just be a matter of time before module problems show up here.
Looks like LG gave in to the "metal unibody" wars, and those of us who don't give a crap about a metal phone have to make a sacrifice. So I guess it will be another year with the great G4, and I'll give LG another chance when the G6 is announced. But for me, LG can take this one and shove it up their "magic slot!"

LG NitroHD G2 G3 G4

Dude, screen size had nothing to do with what class device anyone puts out. To each their own I suppose.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Oh come on, you can say it, we are all thinking it, LG blew it on the G5, from the back it looks like some strange little robot with beady eyes, the software is junk, and come on snap in Mod's that nobody is going to buy, they should have named it the Lego phone. I have never been so disappointed in the release of a new phone, from anyone as I am with this one. Big step backward for the G series.

The Lego phone.... ROTFL.

rdt595

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Dude, screen size had nothing to do with what class device anyone puts out. To each their own I suppose.

Absolutely! I didn't put it in a lower class because of screen size. Its just that even though it's metal it does not look like a flagship phone.

LG NitroHD G2 G3 G4

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely! I didn't put it in a lower class because of screen size. Its just that even though it's metal it does not look like a flagship phone.

LG NitroHD G2 G3 G4

The problem for me isn't the screen size. It's how it has a smaller display when it's nearly as large as the G4 in terms of overall size.

Seshadri Skv

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
I was so hoping g5 would be the ideal upgrade for my g3, but it turned out to be a huge disappointment. In the age of quick chargering, power banks and power cases replaceable batteries are no longer desired. The friends and the magic slot dont make any sense. LG could have achieved same functionality with hardware add ons communcating via the usb-c port. With all the modular approach the battery size had to be brought down and water resistance had to be set aside. LG gave up a lot for too little while losing stuff like back volume buttons and marshmallow memory card support. Huge disappointment. I dont know how some reviews are even edging on the positive.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
A lot of people wanted a metal phone with a removable battery and SD card. People also wanted a slimed down software. Seems they gave both of those things and now people are complaining about it. A never ending cycle. I'm guessing the way the battery works by sliding in and out had a lot to do with design (bezels). Some of the hardware on other phones of course is under the bottom bezel/chin of the phone. But since this is removable and can be replaced anything behind it before had to be moved.

I don't think the phone is ugly (in videos) but it is boring looking compared to previous LG phones.

As shown a few posts above mine it does have an app draw after all, if they got rid of Q Slide and Dual Window that is fine with me because I never used them (have had the G2 and now G4).

The only thing I don't like is the smaller screen so not sure if I want this phone or if I want to wait and see what they do with the V series.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
No App Launcher = fail
I know you can switch to a different home screen, but it also looks pretty awful to me. I think that LG got the hardware right (for the most part), but still lacks behind in the software department.
How about just offering a plain Android OS, without all these garbage? Or at least try to make something nice and simple, like HTC Sense? It is really a shame because the LG G5 seems to be a very good smartphone.

swtrainer#AC

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I was a recent convert from the Galaxy Note line to the LG G4 and then the LG V10 and the G5 just doesn't grab me. Going away from the back volume buttons...that was one of the favorite features of the G4 and V10...not accidentally changing volume when putting it in your pocket or in a holster...now it seems like we're going back to square one. I hope they don't take the same approach to the V10 replacement.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
To those who feel the G5 is a disappointment, there's a brightside. If LG listens to its customers like Samsung, then the G6 will be a hit! Lol

littlenoodles

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Agree. The G2 was pretty successful, and should've been more so. Unfortunately, the original software on the G2 was seriously ugly looking. But they hit the sweet spot for form factor. Big enough screen, high enough resolution and really small bezels. Since then, they've followed Samsung down the phablet and 'luxury materials' rabbit hole. So has Google with the Nexus 6 and 6p (and, yes, even to some extent with the 5x). Sure, there's a market for really big phones. But there's also a market for a G2-sized phone with really good performance, camera and battery life at the $400 price point. They might not be able to charge Galaxy 7 prices for it, but then again, they've been forced to discount the G4 pretty heavily. Accept that price point and build a really great phone that makes money at that price point. Huge screens, metal backs and gimmicks be damned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick