LG G5 initial impressions

xgman

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I've had the G2, G3 and G4. (love my G4) Now I'm done. I don't like the G5 at all. Not one bit. Probably bail to the S7 Edge I guess. (which is very pricey in comparison)

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Maybe it's just me but that video actually improved my position on the phone, I like the more simplistic approach that LG seems to be taking

The last couple years the complaint had been make the software/bloat smaller, make a metal body with removable battery and a SD card. So we get all that and people still complain. The way the world turns.

A couple things wrong with the video, apparently there is a home screen that does have an app draw and Q slide is still there somewhere.

The more I watch videos of the phone on YouTube the more I like it. Very clear out doesn't photo well but in videos looks much better. And I really like everything except the screen size getting smaller. Need to pay with it to make my mind up.

Madscotsman

May 20, 2010
Visit site
The last couple years the complaint had been make the software/bloat smaller, make a metal body with removable battery and a SD card. So we get all that and people still complain. The way the world turns.

A couple things wrong with the video, apparently there is a home screen that does have an app draw and Q slide is still there somewhere.

The more I watch videos of the phone on YouTube the more I like it. Very clear out doesn't photo well but in videos looks much better. And I really like everything except the screen size getting smaller. Need to pay with it to make my mind up.

Yeah I will reserve my final judgement until after I get the device in hand, I want to like this phone. I found the the Samsung G7 to be very underwhelming in my time with it.

Rogue Tomato

Banned
Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
If you watch Phil's video, it shows him STARTING to insert the camera module, and then it gets caught on the back of the phone, and then POOF! Suddenly it cuts to him using it with the camera module installed. Had problems inserting that clunky thing, Phil? That's sure what it looks like, whether you did or not.

I'll go out on a limb and predict that the modular design is going to be very problematic, with things breaking easily. I also don't like how the battery has some gadget that snaps it into the bottom.

It looks like a really cool phone, but it's just not for me.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone 6s has a smaller battery than the 6 and lasts longer oddly, maybe LG figured it out too?

Or they just needed more space for the magic slot stuff lol

I doubt it. It is Android that is the battery hog

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(9764525)

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
I root for LG every year and owned and loved the G2, G3, and G4. I thought the G4 was close to perfect (battery life was so so).

I was really pulling for LG with the G5. They could have learnt a thing or two from HTC. Okay that sounds crazy, but I am referring to the HTC One M7. It was a quality phone (the camera, not so much). No bells and whistles. Good build quality. Excellent overall phone. No stutter issues. Smooth UI. If LG had stuck to the basics, updated the build quality, improved their already excellent camera, increase the battery size, included none of the LG and friends, or the modular stuff or gimmicks, and toned down the UI, then they would have been fine. Give Samsung and Apple credit. Their upgrades are usually clearly upgrades (the S6 an exception maybe). Folks are looking for the basics. Is the battery life better? Build quality and appearance? Display? Some changes in the G5 will bother folks (getting rid of the app drawer would bug me, but the next release of Android may go in that direction, and the S7 has that feature as an option) but, again I credit them for trying something new.

What also troubles me is the decrease in battery size. The G4 in my hands wasn't too bad. But if you use your phone, moderately, the battery drained pretty quickly. Same with the G3. So I find it troubling that the G5 has a smaller capacity battery. Add the always on display that "only drains 0.3-0.8% per hour" (LG's estimates) and that is pretty significant drain. On the low end that is 7.2% drain per day. On the high end that is almost 1/5 of the battery's charge.

Another area where LG fell short and where Samsung succeeded: release the phone very shortly after the announcement. LG loses out here. Again.

But, maybe LG had their reasons for doing what they did.

Last edited:

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
The more I look at it the more I like the design. I find it quite attractive now but my initial reaction was quite different.

However, as a huge photography enthusiast I just can't escape my disappointment at LG keeping the same primary 16MP F1.8 setup from last year's G4. I'm not saying it's bad by any means, but Samsung's new 12MP F1.7 setup outclasses it in low light environments.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Also, I read somewhere (perhaps this very thread, I couldn't find the post) that the app drawer will be off by default, but there's a toggle for that in the setting. Just wanna pass on the info.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
If you watch Phil's video, it shows him STARTING to insert the camera module, and then it gets caught on the back of the phone, and then POOF! Suddenly it cuts to him using it with the camera module installed. Had problems inserting that clunky thing, Phil? That's sure what it looks like, whether you did or not.

I'll go out on a limb and predict that the modular design is going to be very problematic, with things breaking easily. I also don't like how the battery has some gadget that snaps it into the bottom.

It looks like a really cool phone, but it's just not for me.
I think you and I have the same impression of that module.

Cool idea, somewhat problematic execution.

In short, very "first-gen".

I don't think I've seen a design like that before on a mass-produced consumer device available for sale to the general public. It's certainly very cool, ambitious and innovative, but I'd wait for the second or third time they do this just so they could work out the kinks.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
The silliest thing about the camera module is that it doesn't even improve picture quality. Is a 5.3" phone so unwieldy that you would feel compelled to carry a clunky attachment around just for a better grip while taking photos? I greatly prefer the lens cover that Samsung announced with the s7 over this.

balthuszar

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Also, I read somewhere (perhaps this very thread, I couldn't find the post) that the app drawer will be off by default, but there's a toggle for that in the setting. Just wanna pass on the info.

you change the launcher(the phone comes with two) and that's where you find the app drawer...it's not a toggle per se...
having said that, if reports are to be believed, Google is going to do away with the app drawer this year with N...LG is just adopting early...

MKings

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Does Lg G5 use Vuican API too? Sammy made a big deal abount, it but since Vulcan APi is SD820 feature and SD820 is in both phones G5 uses Vulcan too?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick