LG V10 Bootloop

GoRoyals

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Hey Huskerfan431 -- Use LGBridge (download it to the computer you wish to back up to) as CountryDevil suggested... I'm in the process of getting mine backed up as well... the freezer trick seems to work although it slipped back into boot loop after the initial startup past the LG screen and Carrier Screen... it updated the apps and actually started.. I entered my lock code and before I got the phone hooked to the computer, it quit :( but it gave me hope. I'll keep trying and report back.

Good luck, and Thanks CountryDevil!

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
This boggles my mind that so many people across 3 different LG phones are STILL going through the bootloop. This is the automated response I got from LG on Facebook:

“LG Electronics has been made aware of a booting issue with the LG G4 smartphone has now been identified as resulting from a loose contact between components. Customers who are experiencing booting issues with their LG G4s should contact their local carrier from where the G4 was purchased or a nearby LG Service Center (www.lg.com/common) for repair under full warranty. Customers who purchased their G4 devices from non-carrier retailers should contact an LG Service Center with the understanding that warranty conditions will differ. LG Electronics is committed to providing the highest standards of product quality and customer service and apologizes for the inconvenience caused to some of our customers who initially received incorrect diagnoses.”

Well why in the hell has this been a problem for 3 different f'n phones? And why hasn't it been addressed and fixed? I so want to try the V20 but I'm having a really hard time trusting that it won't do the bootloop months after buying it.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrLaidback37

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
He said he used LG Bridge...downloaded that to his laptop. I can't wait to get home to try this. I'm OVER LG...and you really think I'm about to go spend my money on a device that could quit possibly have the same problem as the other 2 devices you released? No sir..I am no longer going to be a slave to these manufactures...they release these devices knowing they are defective, and get away with it because we as consumers have to have it now! We don't want to be told to wait until a problem is fixed...it's called Planned Obsolescence...look it up folks.

Mr.Gadget

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I seem to understand it is a hardware issue, so how did LG Bridge work? I wonder how long it will last if the LG Bridge fix did work?

Red Diesel

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
My V10 was bitten by the bootloader flaw and sent back to LGs repair facility in Fort Worth. That was on September 1, and the phone remains there three weeks later. Has anyone here gotten their V10 repaired for a bootloader warranty fix? How long did it take?

CountryDevil

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Hey CountryDevil,

I tried your freezer trick, but would like to know how you backup the phone. Did you use some app, or is it something that comes with the LG phone. My wife's phone did the same thing starting last night. I can boot it up but will not stay booted up unless I leave it in the freezer.

Thanks,

Huskerfan

You have two options really,

1) LG Backup that is built into the phone will allow you to backup things to your CD card. It's pretty simple to use.
2) LG Bridge (ClickHere) - This will allow you to hook the phone up to your PC and perform a back up there.

Good Luck!

Lewis Goodwin

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
Well it's happened..... I woke up this morning late because my phone was dead. It was on the charger and tested the charger with another phone. Thought this was odd and after several attempts to turn in on with the power button...nothing.. I the proceeded to pull the batter and waited about 15 mons before putting it back in. Power it on and whew... it came on.. got past the LG logo, then came up the AT&T logo and then right back to the LG logo... CRAP!!!

So after several attempts to recover by trying different batteries, trying to get into the boot loader etc, I have deemed it hopeless and taking it in the AT&T store to see what they can do for me. I have insurance so hopefully they have on in stock to trade it out since I do not have a spare to switch to while waiting on a replacement.

Has anyone else had an issue with the V10 boot-looping like the G4 had?

I think I may have solved this issue.... After soft and hard resetting it multiple times and then freezing it for 15 mins like I read on some random forum(maybe this one idk) I got it to turn on long enuff to factory reset it a few times. Then when nothing else seemed to work I took the battery out and put the v10 in the fridge(not the freezer this time) over night and tried it this morning. Phone turned on. No bootloop at all so far today. Idk if it was the multitude of resets or the fridge that worked but I'm sending this post off of my previously bootlooped v10. After a week of only getting it to boot for a minute or 2 at a time at best it has been fully functional for the last 6 hours or so. Not a single problem it's working like new. Will update if it crashes again but so far so good. Fingers crossed!!

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
To even think to put a phone in the freezer or fridge for it to properly work is just f'n nuts and shows how pathetic this whole situation is about bootloop.

lmcollins

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
warranty, right, not insurance?? my 2 years is over next week and my phone totally froze up last weekend-- stays at the LG screen-- will occasionally go to the Verizon screen for a moment, but then back to the LG screen. Tried a reboot-- (pressing power and volume down key) I get to the menu, choose total reboot, get to the yes/no screen, choose yes, but it wont go any further. Now I can no longer even get to that screen at all. As well, I have had the phone on a charger all night, in order to bring to Verizon, only to have it be dead when we got there. They said there is nothing they can do -- I will go back tonight with the information about LG covering the repairs for a new motherboard if phone is within warranty. I just want to know if anyone knows how long the warranty period is.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
warranty, right, not insurance?? my 2 years is over next week and my phone totally froze up last weekend-- stays at the LG screen-- will occasionally go to the Verizon screen for a moment, but then back to the LG screen. Tried a reboot-- (pressing power and volume down key) I get to the menu, choose total reboot, get to the yes/no screen, choose yes, but it wont go any further. Now I can no longer even get to that screen at all. As well, I have had the phone on a charger all night, in order to bring to Verizon, only to have it be dead when we got there. They said there is nothing they can do -- I will go back tonight with the information about LG covering the repairs for a new motherboard if phone is within warranty. I just want to know if anyone knows how long the warranty period is.

In the US - 12 month warranty. In EU 24 months.

krissebesta

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Now THIS is curious! Makes me wonder if maybe it got too hot and somehow corrupted something within the Android OS/filesystem which caused the bootloop. Then factory resetting it after being in the fridge may be a possible solution, at least in some cases. I've been reading the V10 thread on reddit on the subject (it's a sticky) and they ask you to log your device details (manufacture date, version, purchase date, screen protector, case, etc.) in order to see if there is a pattern with the devices that are bootlooping. Just a guess but having a case AND a screen protector would reduce the amount of heat that is able to escape from inside the phone. I just ordered a V10 and am SERIOUSLY considering opening it up and putting in a thin copper plate with thermal paste on both sides that would sit on top of the CPU as an attempt to increase the cooling effects. I saw a YouTube video of a guy that did this on his G4 and it dropped the temp a lot (the G4 and the V10 both have the same CPU). Does this seem like a good idea to anyone else? I'm also thinking of drilling holes in the back of my case in order to increase airflow inside the back of the case which will hopefully reduce heat buildup inside the phone. Will probably need to remove the NFC sticker/antenna but I don't use NFC. Maybe someone out there is willing to try these ideas and post back to this thread? I bought the phone mainly for the awesome audio DAC and camera. I want it to last at least a year. Cheers!

CountryDevil

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Now THIS is curious! Makes me wonder if maybe it got too hot and somehow corrupted something within the Android OS/filesystem which caused the bootloop. Then factory resetting it after being in the fridge may be a possible solution, at least in some cases. I've been reading the V10 thread on reddit on the subject (it's a sticky) and they ask you to log your device details (manufacture date, version, purchase date, screen protector, case, etc.) in order to see if there is a pattern with the devices that are bootlooping. Just a guess but having a case AND a screen protector would reduce the amount of heat that is able to escape from inside the phone. I just ordered a V10 and am SERIOUSLY considering opening it up and putting in a thin copper plate with thermal paste on both sides that would sit on top of the CPU as an attempt to increase the cooling effects. I saw a YouTube video of a guy that did this on his G4 and it dropped the temp a lot (the G4 and the V10 both have the same CPU). Does this seem like a good idea to anyone else? I'm also thinking of drilling holes in the back of my case in order to increase airflow inside the back of the case which will hopefully reduce heat buildup inside the phone. Will probably need to remove the NFC sticker/antenna but I don't use NFC. Maybe someone out there is willing to try these ideas and post back to this thread? I bought the phone mainly for the awesome audio DAC and camera. I want it to last at least a year. Cheers!

Unless you have money to burn, everything that you describe her that you want to do to your V10 will no doubt void any warranty that you have. Thus any issue that you have with the phone that you would send out for warranty would be rejected.

krissebesta

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Unless you have money to burn...

This is true for the copper plate modification. However I can buy an extra back plate and drill holes in it. I personally believe that the quality control was not good so some of the phones have a higher potential to go into booloop than the majority do. U.S. carrier specific V10s might have a slightly higher chance of bootloop because of all the additional bloat ware running in the background all the time which would keep the CPU warmer than normal.

Does anyone know if wireless charging causes the CPU to run hot?

I'll post pics of the mods I apply to the phone.

Cheers!
Kris

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
This is true for the copper plate modification. However I can buy an extra back plate and drill holes in it. I personally believe that the quality control was not good so some of the phones have a higher potential to go into booloop than the majority do. U.S. carrier specific V10s might have a slightly higher chance of bootloop because of all the additional bloat ware running in the background all the time which would keep the CPU warmer than normal.

Does anyone know if wireless charging causes the CPU to run hot?

I'll post pics of the mods I apply to the phone.

Cheers!
Kris

Wireless charging does cause the phone to heat up a bit.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz