LG V40 not coming, LG V30+ alpha instead?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
LG is no longer making phones every single year, possibly a good thing so they can focus on making a single great phone that should last a long time, a new phone every year isn't a good idea anyways, people don't want to switch that fast just to get a tiny upgrade after spending 1k. What do you think about this? Will there be a V40? Or will the V30 last 2 years before the next one?

Edit: Update, it will be called the V30s, rumored to have a camera feature similar to Bixby vision and Google translate and may contain 256GB storage. WOW, 256GB + microSD? A multimedia dream.

Source:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BfBckd3ne-E/

Last edited:

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
LG is no longer making phones every single year, possibly a good thing so they can focus on making a single great phone that should last a long time, a new phone every year isn't a good idea anyways, people don't want to switch that fast just to get a tiny upgrade after spending 1k. What do you think about this? Will there be a V40? Or will the V30 last 2 years before the next one?
There's no reason for it to not be called the V40 regardless of how long it takes to be released.

VoodooMagnetman

May 24, 2017
Visit site
I'd love to see a refined V30 with Oreo installed, a new updated chip set, upgraded memory, better front facing camera, and more on board storage. It's a great design and great to hold in the hand. LG needs to keep improving its quality control and making phones that last. If they can pull this off, it will be hard for me not to upgrade from my V20. I'm excited to see what LG is going to do with this.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Where'd you get your info that that the V40 isn't coming?

No one has info on that either way. The G7 name is supposed to go away. If they keep the V40 name it might be awhile before we see it. In the end it doesn't matter what it's called as long as the level and features remain similar.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
No one has info on that either way. The G7 name is supposed to go away. If they keep the V40 name it might be awhile before we see it. In the end it doesn't matter what it's called as long as the level and features remain similar.
I know. The OP posted that the V40 wasn't coming, so was asking for a source.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Can you share this source? Is it based on the news that LG will not be releasing phones on a yearly schedule per model or did they specifically say there will not be a V40?

No one knows for sure what the V40 will or will not be at this point.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
No one knows for sure what the V40 will or will not be at this point.
Agreed. I was just questioning the OPs title. I found an article about the speculated V30+ A(lpha), but the article didn't mention the V40 at all. So still wondering where the OP got the news that the V40 was off the table.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Agreed. I was just questioning the OPs title. I found an article about the speculated V30+ A(lpha), but the article didn't mention the V40 at all. So still wondering where the OP got the news that the V40 was off the table.
Looks like speculation to me

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
here you go:
https://www.androidauthority.com/lg-g-series-rebrand-g7-827161/

Android Authority has been a long time legit tech news site so I'm sure they got their sources and connections.
Doesn't mention the V40 at all in this article. Still not seeing LG say the V series is gone. So your statement about the V 40 is merely your own speculation.
I don't think so:

"LG spokesperson confirms that the company is rebranding its flagship G-series"
No one is talking about the G series, per your title and original post (and considering this is the V30 forum). Did the LG spokesperson confirm the V series is being rebranded too?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Doesn't mention the V40 at all in this article. Still not seeing LG say the V series is gone. So your statement about the V 40 is merely your own speculation.No one is talking about the G series, per your title and original post (and considering this is the V30 forum). Did the LG spokesperson confirm the V series is being rebranded too?

Nothing changes till it changes and in the end who cares what it's called as long as the feature stays the same with improvements.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

I totally agree with you. I rarely ever want to spend money on the next new iteration of a device. IMO, most people will wait to upgrade - for example, if they got the Pixel 2, maybe they'd wait for the Pixel 4 line. Sure, there are those that upgrade early; but I don't think that's entirely representative of the smartphone user population.

Also, I agree that LG's notion to put forth one device a year is pretty smart. It means they'll put all their effort, money, time, and resources into one device; which means none of those resources will be spent on another flagship and midrange models. Putting out one grand slam is better than a home run. I think this could be good for them.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I totally agree with you. I rarely ever want to spend money on the next new iteration of a device. IMO, most people will wait to upgrade - for example, if they got the Pixel 2, maybe they'd wait for the Pixel 4 line. Sure, there are those that upgrade early; but I don't think that's entirely representative of the smartphone user population.

Also, I agree that LG's notion to put forth one device a year is pretty smart. It means they'll put all their effort, money, time, and resources into one device; which means none of those resources will be spent on another flagship and midrange models. Putting out one grand slam is better than a home run. I think this could be good for them.

I used to upgrade every year... That stopped with the V20 because it has what I'm looking for and is still a solid performer after a year of owning it. Back when I had Samsung phones, there were always little problems that annoyed me and pushed me to upgrade and that's always due to the battery getting weaker after several months (not even a year). Either Samsung designed the phone to be like that or it really just doesn't last long (disappointed Note 4 owners, MMC chip failure). Also people upgrade for the awesome camera technology but I honestly am satisfied with the quality right now of cameras (plus installing custom camera software) and amount of RAM so manufactures need to focus on longer lasting devices or LG will take all the customers that want long lasting phones. I mean why else would you want to upgrade from the Pixel 2, the camera is at peak awesome... unless the battery stops holding a charge which is probably the fate of all Pixel 2 owners.. ask any Nexus 6P owner.

BTW the reason why Pixel 2 and iPhone X have good cameras is because of software processing... sometimes the HDR effect makes it look so fake.. otherwise they pretty much have all the same Sony camera.. most of them weak and low resolution 12MP which is mediocre to me.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Nothing changes till it changes and in the end who cares what it's called as long as the feature stays the same with improvements.

Let's hope so.. let's hope LG doesn't give into the "no headphone jack" trend... They already went with curves and all glass body.. Might as well get a Huawei right with a bigger battery..

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't mention the V40 at all in this article. Still not seeing LG say the V series is gone. So your statement about the V 40 is merely your own speculation.No one is talking about the G series, per your title and original post (and considering this is the V30 forum). Did the LG spokesperson confirm the V series is being rebranded too?

According to the news source it's highly possible, they are changing the traditional yearly release of phones and try to beat Samsung and Apple... they need to drop the idea of being better and instead focus on being different..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463