Lock screen loop LG G6 with android 9

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

As of today I can't unlock my LG G6 (2 years old, no physical/water damage) with my pin passcode, only fingerprints work. When I try to enter the pin (which I know is correct), it unlocks the phone to a black screen for a few seconds, and then takes me back to the lock screen. Attempted multiple times and phone will not unlock and continues in this loop. Unlocked with my fingerprints, and tried to change my settings to change my security lock to none, and when I do this the lock screen settings crashes (tried force quitting and clearing cache in lock screen settings, same issue persists). Also tried to make my home "safe" so that the phone will not lock, and same crashing issue. I am fine unlocking with my fingerprints for now but I am worried about when my phone eventually prompts me for a pin password again. Currently have my changed my display settings so that the phone never locks itself, but obviously the phone won't handle this forever. Does anyone have any other troubleshooting advice?

guesttt990

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
thanks for the help. Was thinking about safe mode, but I am worried about rebooting into safe mode because if I switch the phone off I will have to enter my pin to get into it again before fingerprints are enabled, and then might not be able to get into the phone at all. Do you still think it's worth a shot before factory reset?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
thanks for the help. Was thinking about safe mode, but I am worried about rebooting into safe mode because if I switch the phone off I will have to enter my pin to get into it again before fingerprints are enabled, and then might not be able to get into the phone at all. Do you still think it's worth a shot before factory reset?
Hi, welcome!

Yeah defently try safe mode, let me know!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I agree with mustang7757, Safe Mode is worth trying. If you're unable to enter your PIN at the lockscreen in Safe Mode, you can always power off and then restart again, which will boot back into regular mode (and then you can use your fingerprint again).

Bobloblaw1998

Oct 18, 2020
Visit site
Hi, I registered to let you know I had the exact same issue with my LG G6 (Aus) and android 9 - but it resolved itself after a reboot. Fingerprint unlocked it, but the pin would just go back to the lock screen. Weird as f.... - happened about the same time (sometime late August from memory). Absolutely not sure of the cause as it hasn't done it again. Definitely a bug somewhere and you're not alone. Wonder if it might have been some background security policy update or something...