Loose connection in USB port

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
So, I've been considering other phones recently because of an issue with my Pixel 2 XL. When I plug in the USB cords, it's awfully loose and sometimes it won't charge because of the looseness. I've tried to use a variety of sharp items to clean out dirt but I don't see any dirt to clean out. It's metal touching metal.

This phone may be approaching dinosaur status, but I love it. It may be one of the best phones I've ever had. So this issue is bothering me.

Is there anything that I can do to fix the USB port reasonably? If so, it may allow me to keep the phone longer.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
It may not be the port in your phone at all, it could be your cable. My wife goes through cables because she plugs them in while she's using the devices, which puts a big strain on the cable end and causes it to get very loose. Try a different cable, preferably one that hasn't been used much and see if that helps ;-) Remember cables eventually wear out....how long depends on how you use them. Ports on devices usually hold up a lot better.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It could also be you - a type C plug should 'snap' a little as it seats. If you push it in until you just feel a bit of resistance, it's not all the way in.

Or it could be a bad cable. Or it could be a bad port in the phone. (Swappa has good XLs in the $150 [64GB] to $160 [128GB] range, so see what a local shop will charge for replacing the port - if it's loose. UBreakIFix is the authorized repair for Google in the US. They show about $80 to replace the port, but check with your local one.)

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
It may not be the port in your phone at all, it could be your cable. My wife goes through cables because she plugs them in while she's using the devices, which puts a big strain on the cable end and causes it to get very loose. Try a different cable, preferably one that hasn't been used much and see if that helps ;-) Remember cables eventually wear out....how long depends on how you use them. Ports on devices usually hold up a lot better.

I bought a brand new cable from Monoprice that is reinforced. I've plugged it into multiple other USB-C devices and it's perfect. But it does not work 100 percent for my phone.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I bought a brand new cable from Monoprice that is reinforced. I've plugged it into multiple other USB-C devices and it's perfect. But it does not work 100 percent for my phone.

Then it does sound like a bad port. Time to weigh your options....pay to fix the port and possibly new battery while it's open, or put that money towards an upgrade. You can pick up a pixel 4a brand new, sealed and unlocked for $349 or less if you shop around.... everybody seems to love them and it would probably last you years. Plus plenty of updates still coming down the line for it.

KeepItReal

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I cleaned my port out using a toothpick. You should see what came out. After that, I shut down there phone, blotted out a alcohol wipe to not be too wet, and cleaned. That wipe even showed dirty residue. I was having a problem with the original cable. When I plugged it into the port, it wouldn't charge until I turned the cable over. Now that I cleaned the port, I can just plug the cable without thinking about which side, lol.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, after some time, I decided with the EOL coming up due to no more updates, I have moved onto the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra. No Pixel 5XL made the decision easy for me.

I might keep my Pixel 2 XL phone around for playing Pokemon Go and not worry about screen burn-in as much. But it was heartbreaking to end my time with this phone. One of the best phones I ever had, hands down.

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Be sure to check in and let us know how you like your new phone. I'm still loving my 2XL and even though I don't like keeping phones that don't get security updates, I may keep this one another year while I wait to see what else develops in the Pixel and Samsung worlds.

Well, after some time, I decided with the EOL coming up due to no more updates, I have moved onto the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra. No Pixel 5XL made the decision easy for me.

I might keep my Pixel 2 XL phone around for playing Pokemon Go and not worry about screen burn-in as much. But it was heartbreaking to end my time with this phone. One of the best phones I ever had, hands down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze