Malware after TWRP install?

Purpur

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
I installed TWRP and immediately after this popup showed up, and being in a hurry I just clicked yes.

161l1s3.png

There is zero hits in Google on the phrase «Fix the issue that cannot download too many files in a short time» and the sentence doesn't look like something a Android developer would write.

Purpur

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
I have returned to factory settings, and I got this pop up again, asking me about downloading the "Download Manager", and after that's done, I downloading apps from Google Play doesn't work.

How come there are zero hits in Google on the name of the program, which is Download Manager "v6.3.484838"

jbird9

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Purpur, Hi, I'm a complete forum noob but yesterday I searched for this and as you said, no results and today I found this post! Can you just tell me, what is TWRP, I'm unsure what I installed to provoke the messages but I have never heard of TWRP.

Have you learned anything since yesterday?

Purpur

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Purpur, Hi, I'm a complete forum noob but yesterday I searched for this and as you said, no results and today I found this post! Can you just tell me, what is TWRP, I'm unsure what I installed to provoke the messages but I have never heard of TWRP.

Have you learned anything since yesterday?

Just to test it out, I have clicked "yes" to installing it a couple of times, and with my phone it makes the downloading of apps in Google Play malfunction.

TWRP is software to make a Nandroid (complete) backup down to the last bit. If something ever goes wrong, you have got that backup. It can also be used to flash custom ROMs.

If you did click yes on the message, how does downloading apps work with you, is everything like before?

I really think it would be odd if a professional Android developer wrote something as clumsy as «Fix the issue that cannot download too many files in a short time», and on top of that it did something to my device after download.

Crickmcd

Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
I've been getting the same install request. Needless to say after seeing the grammar being used I didn't accept it.

Strange that this is the only reference I could find to it. Either it's not widespread or if it is people have been accepting it.

jbird9

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Crick, Purpur,

Just out of interest, what devices are you using, and what version of android? I'm just wondering if there is any sort of pattern emerging, although I'll admit it's early days, with a sample of only 3.

jbird9

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
There is definitely an M8 theme developing. This might explain the limited occurrence of the message. I don't really know how to progress this problem. Does anyone know any other channels of enquiry that could be followed?

Liam984

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
Same thing on HTC One (not M8, older one) on Android 5.0.2, also here because it's the only Google result. Avast Mobile Security says everything is ok, but I'm not touching this update until we know more.

sanchezevans

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I've got the same, HTC One M8 and Android 5.0.1, I've not installed TWRP and the only apps I have installed recently have been property search ones i.e. from big commercial interests and very low risk. I scanned with AVG which turned up nothing then factory reset the phone a few times, also wiping the SD card. This doesn't get rid of the pop up although it seems to need a data connection as the last time I disabled mobile data and didn't set up wifi at phone set up and the pop up didn't appear until i turned mobile data back on later.

Whatever it is it's persistent and beginning to irritate me although having not clicked OK to install i've not noticed any adverse effects other than the pop up - if I restart the phone this disappears for a while, maybe 24-48 hours, but so far has always returned.

planetsw

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
I'm also experiencing this on my HTC One M8, also tried a couple of resets but no such luck. It comes up pretty instantaneously after a factory reset so I'm guessing it remains after every factory reset. Denying it the update makes it go away for a while but it plays on my mind that this app could be performing some other tasks without my knowledge.

Tried multiple malware/anti-virus and advanced system/app management applications and no such job. Pretty persistent bugger.

Cheers

PeterVenkman

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue on my HTC One M8. It would appear that is the only phone affected from the people that have gravitated here.

I'll see if HTC support can shed any light on the situation.

Last edited:

PeterVenkman

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
HTC are saying it's an official update. Go ahead and install. Here's a transcript of my chat with them.

I'm going to boot in safe mode now and see if the update appears.

enrique:* As I can see you do not have the device fully up to date and a new update has been released recently. This should be update released by HTC. Can you please confirm for me what does the icon of this update look like and where does it appear?
PeterVenkman:* it appears in the top left hand corner. and in the notifications dropdown menu. It appears as a downward arrow surrounded by two curved arrows forming a circle.
enrique:* I do believe this is the latest update available for your device and you do not need to hesitate to install the update. If you want to be 100% sure, please check the update avaibility in the safe mode.
enrique:* Safe Mode temporarily puts your device in a diagnostic state (returned to default settings) so you can determine if a third-party app is causing the issue you are experiencing.

There are two ways to enter safe mode;
1. Turn the power off.
2. Press the power button to turn the device on and as soon as the screen lights up, press and hold down the volume down key until the device reaches the home screen and you see safe mode written on the screen.

You can also access safe mode if the device is already turned on:
1. Press and hold the power key to bring up the power menu.
2. Tap and hold Power off.
3. When prompted to Reboot to safe mode, tap RESTART.
PeterVenkman:* OK. I'll try it in safe mode.
PeterVenkman:* Could you please pass it up the chain that the grammatical error in the update message has a few people thinking that it might be malware.
enrique:* Sure, I will pass this information. Unfortunately some times with smaller updates the HTC does not get translation confirmed prior to text being released but I will definitely let the responsible department know that it is confusing.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463