Memory & Storage - Please Explain

gnulab

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi

I have few questions specifically about the memory of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (GT-N8013), I have the 32GB version.

Under the menu Storage, this is what is displayed.

Device Memory:
Total Space: 25.87 GB
Available Space: 23.26 GB

SD card
Total Space: 29.81 GB
Available Space: 29.66 GB

Under the following directories:
/sdcard - 1.01 GB used
/storage/extSdCard - 153.4 MB used
/storage/sdcard0 - 1.01 GB used

I'm baffled here. /sdcard should be the mount point of the sd card and ES Explorer shows that there are files in there. Yet, under Storage menu, the sdcard isn't used at all!

So the questions concerning my samsung galaxy tab 2 are these:
1. my sd card storage isn't used at all, how do I use it?
2. what is the location of my sd card so that I can move files to the sd card?
3. I'm suspecting the directory /sdcard is the mount point of the sd card, is that right?

Thank you
Henry

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi

I have few questions specifically about the memory of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (GT-N8013), I have the 32GB version.

Under the menu Storage, this is what is displayed.

Device Memory:
Total Space: 25.87 GB
Available Space: 23.26 GB

SD card
Total Space: 29.81 GB
Available Space: 29.66 GB

Under the following directories:
/sdcard - 1.01 GB used
/storage/extSdCard - 153.4 MB used
/storage/sdcard0 - 1.01 GB used

I'm baffled here. /sdcard should be the mount point of the sd card and ES Explorer shows that there are files in there. Yet, under Storage menu, the sdcard isn't used at all!

So the questions concerning my samsung galaxy tab 2 are these:
1. my sd card storage isn't used at all, how do I use it?
2. what is the location of my sd card so that I can move files to the sd card?
3. I'm suspecting the directory /sdcard is the mount point of the sd card, is that right?

Thank you
Henry

Samsung creates a virtual sdcard for all of their honestly I find it quite anoying, yet they also do it on custom roms..
/sdcard is the mount point for your tabs internal storage, as it is a virtual mount point.
/storage/extSdCard as the name implies is the mount point for your actual sdcard.
/storage/sdcard0 is just another name for you /sdcard mount point.

1.) To use your sdcard, you need to put your files/music into /storage/extSdCard, that is where your sdcards mount point is.

2.) Your sdcard is mounted at /storage/extSdCard.

3.) No /sdcard is the mount point for your internal storage.

There you go, I hope I cleared things up for you.

Newtosansungtablets

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Samsung creates a virtual sdcard for all of their honestly I find it quite anoying, yet they also do it on custom roms..
/sdcard is the mount point for your tabs internal storage, as it is a virtual mount point.
/storage/extSdCard as the name implies is the mount point for your actual sdcard.
/storage/sdcard0 is just another name for you /sdcard mount point.

1.) To use your sdcard, you need to put your files/music into /storage/extSdCard, that is where your sdcards mount point is.

2.) Your sdcard is mounted at /storage/extSdCard.

3.) No /sdcard is the mount point for your internal storage.

There you go, I hope I cleared things up for you.
This is my first post and I haven't a clue regarding the new SGTab 10 I've bought so please be gentle with me. my Question is if I download Kies in order to transfer my music from iTunes to the Tablet when I try to do it will I be given the option of storing the music on the 32gb sd card I have in it as obviously thats where I want it and if I actually manage to do that where will the music show up on my Tablet (I've read on here somewhere that it does not show up in Music as expected.
Thanks for any help for a total novice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord