More on some upcoming AT&T phones

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Just got some more info in.

The HTC Ace -- aka the Desire HD -- is in testing right now. Sporting Android 2.2.1, not Gingerbread. (That's not surprising.) Should be out sometime in January.

The Motorola Olympus also is in testing. Looks like a 4-inch screen with 480x854 resolution.

More as we get it.

AndroidFTFW

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If that HTC Ace rumor is true..then i will kiss a priests feet...its about time ATT gets a high-end HTC android device..and a killer one at that!

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Christmas coming late! How will I choose? I prefer the 4.3" screen but also want FFC with skype on the horizon.

AndroidFTFW

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
definitely is...att knows that its probably gonna lose some customers, so they are gonna release two super high end android devices to counter it. I dont know how thats gonna work for them though, verizon customers will still be able to choose the thunderbolt which has lte and of course the iphone (which might have lte)...might drag over some sprint and tmobile customers though.

uberspeed

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Anyone think that this is a big hurrah for ATT and Android to counter Verizon and iPhone?

At this point, whatever the motivation, I'll take high end Android on ATT. I've had them since 1995 and in my own experience they're a great network saddled with a bad reputation gained from bad iphone antennae and sub par network in heavy albeit vocal media locations such as NYC and SanFran. I had parallel stints with other carriers during: Sprint circa 2000, TMo less than one and a half years ago and always a VZW work phone; during all that ATT kicks ass in my area. I've had extended seat time with all platforms and am currently switching between a BB9700 and an iphone after a lot of time with MyTouch 3G, Nexus One and Samsung Vibrant. I'm hurting so bad for a dual core with Tegra, high resolution IPS screen, FFC, Gorilla Glass havin' Honeycomb high end Android handset that I'm even considering and looking forward to what the iphone5 brings to the table since whatever iOS doesn't give me outright the community tends to deliver via jailbreak. Yeah, that desperate.

Reactions: john_v

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
With you 100% on this...currently waiting to see what ATT brings to the table as far as Android. If I'm going to lock myself in for another 2, I want a powerhouse phone. :cool:

At this point, whatever the motivation, I'll take high end Android on ATT. I've had them since 1995 and in my own experience they're a great network saddled with a bad reputation gained from bad iphone antennae and sub par network in heavy albeit vocal media locations such as NYC and SanFran. I had parallel stints with other carriers during: Sprint circa 2000, TMo less than one and a half years ago and always a VZW work phone; during all that ATT kicks ass in my area. I've had extended seat time with all platforms and am currently switching between a BB9700 and an iphone after a lot of time with MyTouch 3G, Nexus One and Samsung Vibrant. I'm hurting so bad for a dual core with Tegra, high resolution IPS screen, FFC, Gorilla Glass havin' Honeycomb high end Android handset that I'm even considering and looking forward to what the iphone5 brings to the table since whatever iOS doesn't give me outright the community tends to deliver via jailbreak. Yeah, that desperate.

mellojoe

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I just received a STREAK as a Christmas present, and I'm in love with it. But, if HTC does drop a flagship device ... well, I might take the sales-lady up on that 30-day return policy.

AndroidFTFW

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
i figure id point this out, but if you look at the leaked pics of the motorola olympus and you look at the one of the appdrawer, there is no att ****ware on it

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I've given up on ATT. Apple has them brainwashed and isn't letting them expand their Android devices. They need to lose the iPhone exclusivity so they can see that the iPhone isn't everything. Maybe at the CES apple will have a Verizon iPhone and ATT a high end android device.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
i figure id point this out, but if you look at the leaked pics of the motorola olympus and you look at the one of the appdrawer, there is no att ****ware on it

That was probably a testing phone...doubt they would have it on there by then. There's no way ATT let's a non-iPhone get away with that.

I've given up on ATT. Apple has them brainwashed and isn't letting them expand their Android devices. They need to lose the iPhone exclusivity so they can see that the iPhone isn't everything. Maybe at the CES apple will have a Verizon iPhone and ATT a high end android device.

I think Apple's stranglehold ended a few months ago. ATT had to see the writing on the wall long before we thought they did, otherwise they wouldn't have been as involved with WP7. I think WP7 is the reason we haven't seen many high end Android devices on ATT yet. I bet they catch up to the other 3 in 2011.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
It's really too bad the desire hd doesn't have a front camera. Is there a chance att will have a different version of the desire hd? Like maybe one with updated specs?

Guamguy

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
HTC may have inadvertently leaked the existence of a new HTC Android 4G for AT&T in a poster ad: the Inspire.

It appears it maybe a Desire HD/MyTouch 4G class type of phone.

Guamguy

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
It's really too bad the desire hd doesn't have a front camera. Is there a chance att will have a different version of the desire hd? Like maybe one with updated specs?

Thunderbird may have a front camera. At this point though, I expect Android phones on the drawing board to follow the example set by the Nexus S and be Gingerbread friendly, meaning having at least a front camera, gyroscope and NFC.

Guamguy

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
HTC pulled a poster ad to show its has the first 4G phones for all 4 US networks. Naturally, the EVO and the G2 is there. The star of the poster is the Thunderbolt. On the background, is a phone, with HTC Sense, called the Inspire. as the 4th phone. It appears a leak by accident. Or maybe a controlled leak. It can be assumed this phone is for AT&T.

Battleship

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if it's the Desire HD Phil mentioned, but renamed and "tweaked."

I'd love to see a front-facing camera on this, but I can't tell if there is one from the picture.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred