Oreo coming to ALL V20s on September 7, 2018

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Got the update today on my work phone, Verizon V20, for some reason my wifi has gone to crap. Tested it using an iPhone 6, Note 8, Pixel 2, and the V20, every phone except the V20 was around 178mb download speeds on Comcast, the V20 the best I got after several speed tests was 17mb download speeds :(

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Got the update today on my work phone, Verizon V20, for some reason my wifi has gone to crap. Tested it using an iPhone 6, Note 8, Pixel 2, and the V20, every phone except the V20 was around 178mb download speeds on Comcast, the V20 the best I got after several speed tests was 17mb download speeds :(

So you're saying the update slowed down the WiFi speed??

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I'll have to check when I get home. Didn't notice any slowdown but I didn't run any tests.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

My WIFI speed on 5G is apx 115 download and on 2.4G is about 50. This is true on my V20 running Oreo, Pixel 2XL on Pie and iPhone 6S running IOS 12.

This leads me to believe that there is something not quite right with your phone.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
So you're saying the update slowed down the WiFi speed??

Seems to be back to normal tonight. But I did run 3 separate speed checks am hour apart comparing to the other phones, so it wasn't my internet connection. Don't know maybe I tried to soon after updating.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Seems to be back to normal tonight. But I did run 3 separate speed checks am hour apart comparing to the other phones, so it wasn't my internet connection. Don't know maybe I tried to soon after updating.

Might have doing stuff in background creating the appearance that you were slow

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Well no its not back to normal here is are screen shots from just now V20 26mb download, Pixel 2 XL almost 300mb download, same exact location same time.
Huh, won't let me add screen shots for some reason, says "you may not have permission to do this action" OK there we are, this is pretty consistent tonight between my Pixel 2 XL and V20. They were never the same but always within 15% of each other

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180918-215729.jpg
    Screenshot_20180918-215729.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 111.png
    111.png
    251.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well no its not back to normal here is are screen shots from just now V20 26mb download, Pixel 2 XL almost 300mb download, same exact location same time.
Huh, won't let me add screen shots for some reason, says "you may not have permission to do this action" OK there we are, this is pretty consistent tonight between my Pixel 2 XL and V20. They were never the same but always within 15% of each other

Don't know what to tell you. I got equal responses on all of my phones and I upgraded yesterday. I'm assuming you're not running through VPN because that's the only thing that ever slows my signal.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Don't know what to tell you. I got equal responses on all of my phones and I upgraded yesterday. I'm assuming you're not running through VPN because that's the only thing that ever slows my signal.

Yeah, Its my work phone so this weekend I'm just going to to do a FDR and start from scratch. Worth a try anyway.

TomHaskell

Sep 19, 2018
Visit site
Question. I have the US996 factory unlocked version. I'm have Straight talk service on Verizon's CDMA network. If I put someone's AT&T SIM in my phone (and it can use AT&T's SIM) will it update to OREO or even someone's Verizon SIM now that they are getting the OREO update even though my phone is the unlocked US996 version

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Question. I have the US996 factory unlocked version. I'm have Straight talk service on Verizon's CDMA network. If I put someone's AT&T SIM in my phone (and it can use AT&T's SIM) will it update to OREO or even someone's Verizon SIM now that they are getting the OREO update even though my phone is the unlocked US996 version

I don't know about AT&T. It should work with the Verizon SIM if it has the Verizon bands. Might even work with an old Verizon SIM but you won't know untill you try.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I just updated my VZW V20. In Oreo my folders have about 20 apps. In Android N when I clicked a folder I could see them all or might have to scroll down just a little. Now I only see 9 apps at a time. Any way to see more apps with smaller icons in my folders now?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I just updated my VZW V20. In Oreo my folders have about 20 apps. In Android N when I clicked a folder I could see them all or might have to scroll down just a little. Now I only see 9 apps at a time. Any way to see more apps with smaller icons in my folders now?

Maybe with another launcher. I don't have my V20 with me so I can't check to see if Nova behaves differently. On my Pixel I can put up to 16 and then it creates a second page running stock but I'm also on Pie. I can change icon size but not sure if it changes quantity. I don't recall what it did on Oreo but I never had that many icons in a folder. I had to add icons to test it for you.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Just tested Nova and it seems to be unlimited but when the folder screen fills up the home screen you scroll up and down. Since it is affected by the launcher it could be how LG skinned Oreo.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Just tested Nova and it seems to be unlimited but when the folder screen fills up the home screen you scroll up and down. Since it is affected by the launcher it could be how LG skinned Oreo.

Thanks but i like the lg launcher. I hoped there was a setting I missed.

muckrakerX

May 23, 2013
Visit site
It is Nov 1. I have the lg v20 us996 on Verizon.
Oreo, over the air update is not yet available.

You could call Verizon, but I'm not sure they could tell you anything. The only really positive thing the Oreo update brings, IMO, is improved battery management.