Moto X Play updated to Marshmallow No Longer Recognizes SD Card

Myzlo

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
Coming from an Iphone to an android device with the Moto X Play. Has been working awesome since the day I got it.

Then everything changed when Android 6.0 Marshmallow attacked.

My SD Card was no longer recognized by the device and I had to format it in order to get it to work. Okay... Converted to internal Memory and worked like a charm for 2 days. Then It no longer would recognize the SD Card again. Trying to format it again, like the newbie I am, I have consistently received an error that has made the SD Card unreadable.

error.jpg

I am just starting to investigate the problem as I was on vacation at the time and was going to worry about it when I got home.

Well that time is now, and I would sincerely appreciate a point in the right direction on this one folks,

Thanks in advance!

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi there,

Which microSD card do you have?

Where did you buy it? Many cards sold by eBay sellers are counterfeit. The shady sellers claim the cards are much higher capacity than the really are. When the size of the contents on the fake cards exceeds the limit, then errors result. (For example, a 64 GB card that is really only 4 GB.)

Myzlo

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi Laura,

I am using a Sony 32GB microSDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card.

I got both my Moto X and the SD card at the same time from the Bell Mobile dealer here in Canada, so doubtful it would be a counterfeit.

To clarify, this message shows up when trying to reformat the SD Card for use. Otherwise it says the SD Card unreadable and needs to be reformated.

Hope this helps.

Myzlo

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
WOW Javier, this looks to be the exact issue I'm having. This only started with the Marshmallow update, so I'm certain that the SD Card itself is not the main issue. I'll try out the steps described tonight and get back to you on what the results are.

Thanks again!

nghtchld

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here and I found and followed a fix at: forums.androidcentral DOT com/moto-g-2015/630247-pc-can-t-access-moto-g-files.html#post4937816
This is a known issue with the Marshmallow update on G3 with SD card set as portable storage (users who switched to internal storage seem to have no issues)... Disconnect USB, then Go to Settings, Apps, and Show System Apps, then find External Storage and Media Storage, and clear data and cache on each one and reboot. Give it 5 min after full boot up to rebuild media databases and connect to USB and select MTP, should be good to go.

Next time I rebooted and connected to PC (Win 10) it was all there! Hope this helps.

wellingtonrs

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Myzlo, have any sucess with SD card not formating in Moto X Play? I've tried 3 diferents cards sizes and brands and not working on moto x. I tried in moto G3 and it works normaly. :-

Dusan1

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
After the upgrade to Marshmallow, the phone's performance has been way below standard.There is frame drop even in games like subway surfer.The phone hangs quite a bit,not so responsive especially when the charge is less.

Posted via the Android Central App

Pepper2829

Nov 10, 2016
Visit site
I strongly believe it's an issue at the side of the SD card.

Nope...it's not. Card reader maybe.
I have two of these phones. One has this issue, the other does not. Removed both SD cards, put the 'none functioning one' in the other phone, worked fine, could see all data on it. Put the 'functioning card' in the affected phone, it's not recognized and phone wants to format. Put it cards back in original phones, back to original issue. Let the phone format, still won't recognize it.
Phone with functioning SD reader now doesn't save new contacts, I know.. separate issue. Only issues I've ever had with this phone.

Gauravsinghonline

Nov 26, 2016
Visit site
Coming from an Iphone to an android device with the Moto X Play. Has been working awesome since the day I got it.

Then everything changed when Android 6.0 Marshmallow attacked.

My SD Card was no longer recognized by the device and I had to format it in order to get it to work. Okay... Converted to internal Memory and worked like a charm for 2 days. Then It no longer would recognize the SD Card again. Trying to format it again, like the newbie I am, I have consistently received an error that has made the SD Card unreadable.

View attachment 212018

I am just starting to investigate the problem as I was on vacation at the time and was going to worry about it when I got home.

Well that time is now, and I would sincerely appreciate a point in the right direction on this one folks,

Thanks in advance!

Have u got a solution to this as I am also faxing the same issue for last 1month?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JackMarkers