My phone has gaps in its battery graph and shuts down, then reboots on its own.

Notst3ve

Jan 6, 2017
Visit site
Hello everyone, this is my first post to this forum. In the past, I've always googled any issues relating to my phone and it's returned a solution. However, the current problems that have recently popped up on my phone have had very little information online, hence why I made thus account in hopes of finally getting some answers.

Starting about a week ago, my Google Pixel began shutting off on its own, then rebooting. I have no idea how long the gap is, as I usually only realize it has even shut off when I hear the start up chime on my phone from my pocket. To make it stranger, my phone also has gaps in its battery usage graph which directly correlate with when my phone shuts off, AND the only way I can not the phone myself is by doing a soft reset, and the phone doesn't charge when it shuts off autonomously. I'm aware of at least one other post to this forum regarding the same issue, but I've found no conclusive information and I have found other problems that have popped up abruptly with these issues.

I also discovered that at certain times my phone's headphone jack won't work. I've ruled out it being a hardware issue simply because restarting it fixes the issue. Also, i have experienced times when my phone will fail to connect a call and it stays silent. When looking at my phone during this moment it simply says "dialing..." and has no audio, and like the problems with my headphone jack, it is fixed by restarting.

I've spent the past week looking up countless articles about what could possibly be wrong with my Pixel. Initially, I thought it was a manufacturer's fault as I had to return my last phone because of one, but then I grew worried it must have been a virus that is controlling my phone's booting. However, after using a number of different antivirus apps including Norton, Avast, AVG, Avira, Kaspersky, and more, I only found a single Trojan which has since been deleted, and the problem still persists.

I've also tried factory resetting my phone... 3 times. The first 2 times I used my backup through my Google account, with decreasing amounts of apps that could be causing the issue, but this last time (which I reset today) I chose to wipe it clean, with no additional apps. However, yet again, the problem persists. I read somewhere that the issue may be "boot cycling", but while my knowledge is above average in electronics, in not too keen on advanced terms and issues with mobile applications.

I would post images to accompany this post, but as I'm posting this from my phone, I'm not exactly sure how to upload images.

TL;DR: My Google Pixel phone is shutting off and booting randomly with sufficient battery and is accompanied by a gap in my battery usage chart. My headphone jack stops working and my phone fails to connect to calls both at random, but restarting my phone solves the issue. I've not only scanned my phone with a large number of antivirus applications, but I've also factory reset my phone 3 different times to no avail. My phone is running Android 7.1.1.

Anyways, thank you for sticking with me through this long post. I know it's lengthy, but I want to include as many details as possible!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Moved from the Nougat forum to the Pixel forum, since it's more likely a device-specific issue.

Mooserman15

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
Pixel teardown

Although you eliminated the possibility of it being a hardware issue, I think it is. Here is what I think is going on.
Gaps in the battery graph: Android cannot track the battery life when it is not running.
Phone shutdown: Your phone thinks there is an elictrical issue and is shutting down for your safety, or a short causes a brownout (low voltage).
Call not connecting: The antenna wires are connected between the main board and the USB board.
Phone not charging: USB board.
Headphone jack: No idea.

So what I think is happening is your Pixel's USB board is shorting out randomly. If it is minor, you will get interference on your antenna wires, which is causing your calls to fail. If it gets bad, the component will draw lots of current, which will cause further damage. Also, the battery voltage drops from this, resulting in the phone (particularly the Qualcomm Snapdragon 821) rebooting due to what is called brownout detection. This will also cause the phone not to charge. The worst case scenario is that your battery may overheat and experience thermal runaway. I have no idea what is wrong with your headphone jack. Sometimes, components can fail for no reason and miraculously work after a power cycle.

In case of TLDR or that being too complicated, your USB board is damaged and your phone has a higher (but still very small) chance of overheating, burning, or exploding. The problem will only get worse.

To avoid more frustration and for your safety, get your phone replaced under warranty.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali